BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I'm a noob, but I spent a lot of time reading posts to help answer this question - my 1997 e36 318i with digital control ac/heat fan quit working, first started doing a intermittent thing, then quit altogether. After reading other posts, I concluded that it was most likely the final stage unit aka blower motor resistor, so I ordered a new and installed it, nada, still not working. The control unit still displays the graph as if the fan is working, but no air is coming out. All fuses under the hood are good - there is supposed to be a 40 amp fuse somewhere under the steering wheel that is for the "auxillary fan", but I can't find it and I figure that's probably the engine cooling fan anyway, but I don't know.
Anyone know where I should look next? I just ordered the BMW Service Manual, I'm sure I'll need it also ;-) But sure would like to get this AC working Asap!
Ideas???

· Registered
13,189 Posts
Sometimes they squeal because the bearing and the brushes are giving out. Sometimes they just get intermittent because the brushes are worn out.

If you go to this DIY you can see where the HVAC motor is located. Use a long screw driver and try tapping the motor housing a couple of times and see if it starts up. If it does then the motor brushes are worn out and the motor needs to be replaced.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update... - took a long screw driver and "tapped" the motor housing and it started up and ran fine all afternoon!- So, if I am going to need to dig deep just to clean the motor I decide to just replace it so I ordered a new one, I'll replace the old and then rebuild the old one and keep it for the next time.

Good news is that I think the problem is solved with a new motor, thanks for the help!

Now I just need a cover for my glove box!

· Registered
13,189 Posts
Yep, it's motor time! I think you'll find it difficult to do a rebuild because you won't be able to get the brushes that need to be replaced.

· D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
32,094 Posts
^ This. Did that last week. A little filing to fit, and I replaced the backer spring with the ones from the old brushes (new ones were way too strong). Worked like a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.