Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to get some superblue brake fluid.

i also wanted to change my tranny fluid. would it be wise to go ahead and change differential fluid? are all these (i know brake fluid is) fairly easy to change? is it worth it? which fluids should i get, i'm looking at turner motorsports page and am thinking:

Red Line 75/90 Differential Gear Oil

and

Red Line Synthetic D4 ATF

so, please correct me if i'm wrong, but the dif and tranny fluid should make for smoother shifting right? dont have the money for "real" mods, so fluids is my best bet right now.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
If you are serious about your fluids, go with MTF fluid in the tranny. BMW puts ATF in because it is thinner and works well on very cold days, which MTF is too think and doesn't work well. We don't have to worry about that. It will also last longer, because the thicker fluid is resists grinding. But if you don't grind, ATF will work.

And, since you have warranty to deal with, ATF is the only approved fluid :dunno:

While you are at Momentum buying brake fluid, check out the Intake, it is nice :thumb: Also, they might be open unitl 7:30pm on Tues/Thurs, service is. I should check or you can call :dunno:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nate328Ci said:
If you are serious about your fluids, go with MTF fluid in the tranny. BMW puts ATF in because it is thinner and works well on very cold days, which MTF is too think and doesn't work well. We don't have to worry about that. It will also last longer, because the thicker fluid is resists grinding. But if you don't grind, ATF will work.

And, since you have warranty to deal with, ATF is the only approved fluid :dunno:

While you are at Momentum buying brake fluid, check out the Intake, it is nice :thumb: Also, they might be open unitl 7:30pm on Tues/Thurs, service is. I should check or you can call :dunno:
nate. so until i'm out of warranty i should only put in ATF? i thought mtf would be better except that turner's site said it was the suggested fluid. what about differential fluid?

ha, as it turns out i'm not going out to houston this weekend. but i am doing some preliminary looks at intakes. i'm not sure about it. are there measurable differences between the heat shield intakes versus dinan behind bumper intakes (btw, your CF one looks so sweet). do you ever take your intake off and put the stock airbox on? i'd like to do a comparo run. maybe once i'm in houston you can take me for a ride in your car and i can see if i want an intake. oh i did have one specific intake question for you. you have the dinan intake, it says on their site you need the software to go along with it. is this true? do you need engine s/w for all intakes or just dinan to get best results? thanks nate.

btw, i'll just call for hours thanks man.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

nate. so until i'm out of warranty i should only put in ATF? i thought mtf would be better except that turner's site said it was the suggested fluid. what about differential fluid?

ha, as it turns out i'm not going out to houston this weekend. but i am doing some preliminary looks at intakes. i'm not sure about it. are there measurable differences between the heat shield intakes versus dinan behind bumper intakes (btw, your CF one looks so sweet). do you ever take your intake off and put the stock airbox on? i'd like to do a comparo run. maybe once i'm in houston you can take me for a ride in your car and i can see if i want an intake. oh i did have one specific intake question for you. you have the dinan intake, it says on their site you need the software to go along with it. is this true? do you need engine s/w for all intakes or just dinan to get best results? thanks nate.

btw, i'll just call for hours thanks man.
After warrranty, it is your call...

I'm going to the hill country south of Austin this weekend to help my granma move :dunno: I don't know when I'm going or for how long :dunno:

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I'm going to the hill country south of Austin this weekend to help my granma move :dunno: I don't know when I'm going or for how long :dunno:
I'm moving this weekend too, actually I've been moving small things these past 2 weeks... with Eugene's help... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nate328Ci said:

well i wont be in houston until july anyways.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ayn said:

I'm moving this weekend too, actually I've been moving small things these past 2 weeks... with Eugene's help... :thumb:
ayn, oil change early part of next week? you will be full time in your house after this weekend right?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
ayn said:

She is closing on the house on the 17th, so we'll take some valuables mabye so the movers don't:dunno:

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
nate328Ci said:

She is closing on the house on the 17th, so we'll take some valuables mabye so the movers don't:dunno:
yeah, good idea... i bought a safe and moved the important things into the safe asap... the movers will be here to move the big and heavy stuff this sat! =)

--Andrew

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

ayn, oil change early part of next week? you will be full time in your house after this weekend right?
sure, that should be fine... even if i don't live there full time i can change your oil there... =)

--Andrew

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ayn said:

sure, that should be fine... even if i don't live there full time i can change your oil there... =)

--Andrew
cool, thanks andrew. when are you going to be there full time then? i know you will have your apt til the end of the month, but after sat it should be pretty empty no?

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

cool, thanks andrew. when are you going to be there full time then? i know you will have your apt til the end of the month, but after sat it should be pretty empty no?
yeah, if everything goes as planned I will actually live there after saturday...

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

whenever is fine. it'd be nice to meet some pple from this board. ayn can vouch for me, i'm a pretty stand up guy.

nate, if i just wanted to go watch the autox i wouldnt have to register would i?
yea, for shure. I don't know why you wouldn't want to drive :dunno:

Anway, if you show, I probably will (I don't see why I wouldn't, nothing planned), you can ride with me. I'll even let you drive my car if you want to test the intake. Not on the auto-x course though :angel:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nate328Ci said:

yea, for shure. I don't know why you wouldn't want to drive :dunno:

Anway, if you show, I probably will (I don't see why I wouldn't, nothing planned), you can ride with me. I'll even let you drive my car if you want to test the intake. Not on the auto-x course though :angel:
yeah, i've never done any kind of driving event. i think i'd watch 1-2 before i started to participate. and i dont have a helmet (dont need one for autox right?). regardless, thanks for all your help nate.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
oh btw, a friend of mine had a 328Ci with ECIS intake, it sounded better with the intake, but the performance gain is very minimal. I tried a 325Cic with a Dinan CAI, s/w, and exhaust (JR had one) and it sounded amazing. I didn't drive that car though. I'm sure the Dinan CAI gives you some HP gain, but it's probably so minimal that it's really not worth the price. It sounds better and looks cool, that's about it...

--Andrew

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ayn said:
oh btw, a friend of mine had a 328Ci with ECIS intake, it sounded better with the intake, but the performance gain is very minimal. I tried a 325Cic with a Dinan CAI, s/w, and exhaust (JR had one) and it sounded amazing. I didn't drive that car though. I'm sure the Dinan CAI gives you some HP gain, but it's probably so minimal that it's really not worth the price. It sounds better and looks cool, that's about it...

--Andrew
true enough. CAI are a lot about sound more so than HP gain. just thoughts i've been having about mods... the only definates are sways and SSK. and those are a little off from now still. ha, money is tight these days being a poor grad student. hence all the checking into fluids...

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

true enough. CAI are a lot about sound more so than HP gain. just thoughts i've been having about mods... the only definates are sways and SSK. and those are a little off from now still. ha, money is tight these days being a poor grad student. hence all the checking into fluids...
I would change fluid, spend money on V1, and then helmet and DEs... track your car a few times stock, and then modify it if needed... I am my car's limiting factor on performance, and will remain so for quite some time... no need to mod... ;)

--Andrew

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ayn said:

I would change fluid, spend money on V1, and then helmet and DEs... track your car a few times stock, and then modify it if needed... I am my car's limiting factor on performance, and will remain so for quite some time... no need to mod... ;)

--Andrew
well sways and SSK are more just for my satisfaction. but yes, the order of money spent will probably go as per your suggestion. except i will find money to put in the sways and SSK in. i'm not all that confident in my driving on the street much less track, but soon enough i will track my car... v1, damn i want one badly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts