BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might be catching that "let me change cars asap omgwtfbbq" disease that's going around :angel:

I am going to trade the Probe in, add a few thousand and get myself a near-new Mazda3i. The Probe is extraordinarily uncomfortable, and given my backaches as of late, the doctor told me I have to change what I sit in at work (which has been done, thanks for the ergo chair thread in the lounge) and during my 1.5 hour drive each way. I am looking at a few Mazda3 demos with ~10k miles on them, about for about $15k. I figure with the Probe as a trade-in, and a few thousand down, I will pay less than $200 a month for owning it, and that's a worthy investment for my backaches.

Just wanted to share! :) Let me know if you have any comments before I bite the bullet.. I'm waiting for my tax return to come in before making any purchases.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hercules said:
I think I might be catching that "let me change cars asap omgwtfbbq" disease that's going around :angel:

I am going to trade the Probe in, add a few thousand and get myself a near-new Mazda3i. The Probe is extraordinarily uncomfortable, and given my backaches as of late, the doctor told me I have to change what I sit in at work (which has been done, thanks for the ergo chair thread in the lounge) and during my 1.5 hour drive each way. I am looking at a few Mazda3 demos with ~10k miles on them, about for about $15k. I figure with the Probe as a trade-in, and a few thousand down, I will pay less than $200 a month for owning it, and that's a worthy investment for my backaches.

Just wanted to share! :) Let me know if you have any comments before I bite the bullet.. I'm waiting for my tax return to come in before making any purchases.
I rented a Mazda 3i for a trip to NJ once. There is a reason why lumbar support is standard on that car. :eeps:

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BlackChrome said:
One of my friends just got a brand new 3 Five-door with everything but navi and leather for $17k. I think you can do better than $15k with those 10k miles demos.
Yea I know, I am just putting what my range is... I don't want to go above 16k really, and if he got the 5 door for 17k, that's really great! I may just buy the car new entirely but we will have to see... I'm waiting for my tax returns to do anything :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Wait 2 mos and you can get a deal on a Mazda6 from the CarChanger. :rofl: :stickpoke

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
You should consider a used Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

They have very comfortable seats where the Mazda's in general don't have the most comfortable seats.

To get a Mazda 3 might worsen your back problem instead of helping it.

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AF said:
You should consider a used Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

They have very comfortable seats where the Mazda's in general don't have the most comfortable seats.

To get a Mazda 3 might worsen your back problem instead of helping it.
I drove the hatch yesterday, I was pretty pleased with the comfort level... I don't think I need the MOST snug or comfortable seats, just better than what my Probe has -- low slung, gangstah pimpin seats. The Mazda3 Hatch also has lumbar support, and it's cheap! I am getting one with 11k miles on it, automatic and a few other options (nothing big) for $16k, out the door tax and tags and all. I think that's a pretty decent price, and should keep my payments pretty low so I am not taking it on as a burden.

But I will take your advice though, and check out the Accord, Camry and a few others before I bite the bullet.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
If you are looking for a fun to drive car at a reasonable price, no doubt the Mazda 3 is a greast choice ... I never drove one but from the write-ups I have read both here and in the magazines, it sounds like an awesome car.

If you drove it and are comforable then there is no need to drive anything else.

BTW how many miles are on your RX8 ?

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AF said:
If you are looking for a fun to drive car at a reasonable price, no doubt the Mazda 3 is a greast choice ... I never drove one but from the write-ups I have read both here and in the magazines, it sounds like an awesome car.

If you drove it and are comforable then there is no need to drive anything else.

22k on my RX-8, but I had probably the first one in Jersey :)

AF, it's good you are watching this thread, as I've got a quick question for you about the tradeins and stuff... I'm going to trade in my Probe, and I want to get $1500 for it (which is fine, I bought it for temporary use). I checked Edmunds, KBB, NADA and Galves (I work for an automotive finance company), and they ranged from $1900-1375 for the tradein value. However, looking up the Mazda3 on Galves, and from what I'm told Galves is *the* bible for dealerships now... the value is only at $12,325. Granted, I know that's probably what the dealer bought it for... but if they are asking $15999 without any breaks, how far down do you think I could negotiate it to?

I figure you're the one to ask, since you have the most experience uhm... exchanging cars :) Anybody else please jump in!

·
2 pieces dry white toast
1,107 Posts
AF said:

Drove the 3 at the rev it up thingy. Stock 3 is nice and peppy compaired to the 6. The course version of the 3 with upgraded suspension, exhaust and Falkens was something I could play around with for a little while

·
2 pieces dry white toast
1,107 Posts
Hercules said:
22k on my RX-8, but I had probably the first one in Jersey :)

AF, it's good you are watching this thread, as I've got a quick question for you about the tradeins and stuff... I'm going to trade in my Probe, and I want to get $1500 for it (which is fine, I bought it for temporary use). I checked Edmunds, KBB, NADA and Galves (I work for an automotive finance company), and they ranged from $1900-1375 for the tradein value. However, looking up the Mazda3 on Galves, and from what I'm told Galves is *the* bible for dealerships now... the value is only at $12,325. Granted, I know that's probably what the dealer bought it for... but if they are asking $15999 without any breaks, how far down do you think I could negotiate it to?

I figure you're the one to ask, since you have the most experience uhm... exchanging cars :) Anybody else please jump in!
If they want to pretend they're making you a deal, 15.5, I'd hope for more around 14k. Course all depends on how snooty the dealership is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.