BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my rear shock mounts replaced in December. Just the other week, I noticed a quiet jingling sound coming from the rear right side of the car when I had the passenger window down. The jingling sound occurred while driving over bumpy roads. When turning on a very tight corner, I'll also notice a metalic, groaning sound coming from the trunk area. And also suddenly today I began to also hear, while inside the car with the windows up, a metalic, light jingling sound coming from the trunk.

I just replaced the shock mounts! Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts
Did u replace with oem and how many miles have u covered??
Oem dont last very long....Or just check the screws havent worked loose and need tightenin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did u replace with oem and how many miles have u covered??
Oem dont last very long....Or just check the screws havent worked loose and need tightenin
I'll ask my mechanic what kind of mounts he put on them...when he took the old ones off, he showed me how incredibly rusty and deteriorated they were. The previous owner neglected them severely.

As far as the mileage, I've literally only put no more than 10,000 miles on them...maybe less. I'd hope that a repair such as those would last longer than that. I've had other vehicles whose shocks and mounts have NEVER worn out.

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts
Humm if he's put OEM 'e6 ones back in it may be that they have gone again.. even tho 10,000 would be poor even for them but definately not unheard of im afraid!!

·
Always protect your nuts!
157 Posts
RSM going bad at 10K not unheard of. The OEMs are horrible I have changed mine twice in the past 2 years. This time I put on Meyle upgrades. We shall see. If these wear out in a year I will go to the ground control mounts. This is a very easy DIY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts