BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last 1.5 years i might have seen around 9 or 10 F10's in southJersey and none of them had sports package or M sports and that means they dont have SAT too...
So i was wondering if the basic F10 is really good enough? Does it really give BMW feel(I mean drive)?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I haven't driven the sport versions but I can tell you that the "standard" setup of my 535xi is really superb. A bit more immediacy off the line would be welcomed, but after it hits 5mph, good night. The suspension is just the right blend of firmness and compliance. Never jolting (like my '09 TL was) and still able to cushion you against road hazards. The steering is just the right weight and gives plenty of road feel (it's hydraulic).

So in a word, I'd say "Yes" the "basic" F10 is (more than) enough.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
In the last 1.5 years i might have seen around 9 or 10 F10's in southJersey and none of them had sports package or M sports and that means they dont have SAT too...
So i was wondering if the basic F10 is really good enough? Does it really give BMW feel(I mean drive)?
Taking other people's opinion about this will not anwer your question. The only way to do this is for you to personally drive both cars and decide for yourself. The concept of the "BMW feel" is really one of personal taste. For me personally I would not buy an F10 without the DHP, ARS, SAT, and sport package. And if I bought a RWD version I would also get the four wheel active steering. I don't care for the M Sport cosmetics, however. But this is purely personal and everyone has their own opinion about this based on their own personal needs and interpretation.

Some people actually think an F10 with all the performance options does not have the "BMW feel" and have opted to sell theirs and buy an M3.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i Agree.. Its completely personal preferrence... I configured my order from the reviews i got on this forum and from test drives i have done....
But i was surprised/wondering if i am in the minority of the BMW demograhic.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I find that the base models of the 5 series are so under equipped. I can't fathom how a luxury car comes without HIDs or bluetooth unless it is a Cadillac DTS.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
Taking other people's opinion about this will not anwer your question. The only way to do this is for you to personally drive both cars and decide for yourself. The concept of the "BMW feel" is really one of personal taste.
QFT.

Car "feel" is a very personal thing, and people drive them for different reasons. I drive them for the performance coupled with luxury, so M-Sport/Sports package are requirements as are the bigger engines to me. A coworker of mine drives his for looks, so rims et al are his priority and the bigger engines, better suspension don't turn his crank, so to speak.

I'd say to go drive them and see what feels right for you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Taking other people's opinion about this will not anwer your question. The only way to do this is for you to personally drive both cars and decide for yourself. The concept of the "BMW feel" is really one of personal taste. For me personally I would not buy an F10 without the DHP, ARS, SAT, and sport package. And if I bought a RWD version I would also get the four wheel active steering. I don't care for the M Sport cosmetics, however. But this is purely personal and everyone has their own opinion about this based on their own personal needs and interpretation.

Some people actually think an F10 with all the performance options does not have the "BMW feel" and have opted to sell theirs and buy an M3.
Im with you except for one thing. In my opnion the F10 is kind of ugly without the Msport package.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Im with you except for one thing. In my opnion the F10 is kind of ugly without the Msport package.
Of course, what is and what is not ugly is NOT a matter of personal taste, it is purely an objective quantitative assessment upon which we all agree.

I think the F10 WITH the Msport package is kind of ugly. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,798 Posts
Yeah i Agree.. Its completely personal preferrence... I configured my order from the reviews i got on this forum and from test drives i have done....
I've owned 3 BMW's, including my current '11 F10 base 535i. None of them have had the sport package. I'll tell you this, they all perform way better than the average car, and my larger BASE 535i handles about as well as my previous 330i and 335i. The base suspension is great at providing a very responsive, taut ride, without much body lean, as well as soaking up bumps and providing one of the best rides I've experienced in 40 years of driving all types of cars.

I find that the base models of the 5 series are so under equipped. I can't fathom how a luxury car comes without HIDs or bluetooth unless it is a Cadillac DTS.
I think the OP was referring mainly to "hardware" setup, like suspension options, versus particular options. FYI, only the 528i comes with non-HID. Everyone is free to add HID, and anything else to configure the car as they want it. Still never understand why people get upset about what is standard and what is an option. It would be different if a certain feature was simply unavailable. Making items optional allows people flexibility in pricing a vehicle with the feature they want to pay for.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a 2011 535i with the sport package with SAT and 19" wheels. I drove a loaner (due to a leak) for 2 weeks that had none of the above and 18" wheels.

There is a BIG DIFFERENCE in the handling and feel of the two. You must decide "what's enough" for yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the OP was referring mainly to "hardware" setup, like suspension options, versus particular options. FYI, only the 528i comes with non-HID. Everyone is free to add HID, and anything else to configure the car as they want it. Still never understand why people get upset about what is standard and what is an option. It would be different if a certain feature was simply unavailable. Making items optional allows people flexibility in pricing a vehicle with the feature they want to pay for.
Yes i was reffering to sports hardware only....

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was going to order base model but decided to get Sport with SAT. I'm so glad I did. Gives car another dimension when you want to have fun. I came over to the "dark side" because this version of the ultimate driving machine was smooth enough in normal to have a decent and comfortable luxury ride but strong enough in Sport to throw your head back and hold tight to the steering wheel. I really like this car.......

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is just a discussion... If you dont want to chip in thats ok... Cool it
?

Ok, so you agree but are concerned with what others think?

If you're comparing to other car makes, maybe for standard american cars, you'll probably love the 5's. Something like a CTS-V will be faster (and it's a really nice car) but you'll still see/feel something different, even in 535's which are on a completely different 'power' level.

If you're comparing to past BMW's make sure the comparison is valid. Today's 5's are bigger than the original 7's and the F10's were designed to appeal to a broader segment, the luxury sports sedan vs. the sports sedan segment. It really depends on what forum you log into to determine if you're in the minority or not.

My first BMW was a 2002, I was younger and it had a back seat but I could throw it around kinda sorta like a sports car. Creature comforts weren't as important. I'm older now and my daily driver is a 550 (2011), it has a back seat, I can throw it around kinda sorta like a sports car, but no matter what mood I'm in it's always comfortable.

Does it feel like a BMW? Yes. Does it feel like classic 5's? Not really, sorta in some regards kinda not in more.

If you want a comfortable daily driver that still kinda sorta gives you that sports car feel it will be perfect for you.

If you want a car that you can mod out performance wise to make it more of a sports car, you'll probably be better off with a 3 or a different car.

If you want a car that you can mod out appearance wise, then the 5 fits the bill also.

If you want more of sports car but is close to the 5, the get an M5.

Edit: And I do have all the sports HW, makes a difference to both comfort and sports feel, IMO.

·
Banned
214 Posts
If you are buying a 528i then i would say go for the basic version. If you are opting for 535 0r 550, the must have are sport pack, premium pack, Navigation and SAT.

For those who say F10 looks ugly without M-Sport pack-look at your M-Sport wheels, i feel they are the Ugliest wheels BMW ever made:bigpimp: i mean after the stock wheels for F10 528i.

M-Sport front and back looks awesome

1 - 20 of 37 Posts