BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the specs on the Z4 say that it is already 110 pounds or so HEAVIER than the previous z3. granted, it's bigger.

but, if the Z5 is based on the z4, then truly, all of this lightweigh crap was a pipe dream, wasn't it?

at least they might put the M S54 into the z4's.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
blackdawg said:
the specs on the Z4 say that it is already 110 pounds or so HEAVIER than the previous z3. granted, it's bigger.

but, if the Z5 is based on the z4, then truly, all of this lightweigh crap was a pipe dream, wasn't it?

Unless the Z5 will be a new platform or based on the 1 series :dunno:

edit: Remember all that super lightweight stuff rumored to be on the Z5, none of that is on the Z4 and convertibles are heavier than coupes :dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
blackdawg said:

Z5 isn't based on the Z4 platform.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nate: i hope you're right, dude.

i really hope that it will be 1 series based, but i kinda doubt it.

i think it will just be a hardtop'd z4, and therefore, heavier.

it will just be another BMW GT car, with modern underpinnings. this is something the z3's lacked in spades.

but maybe diehards can hold out for (1) an M hotrodded 1 series car (this is highly likely) or (2) a mini cooper S evo version with even more HP.

it's not all bad.

'course, by then, the 911 GT3 will be available in the US......380hp, 2700 pounds.......:)

G

·
Re: nate: i hope you're right, dude.

blackdawg said:

it will just be another BMW GT car, with modern underpinnings. this is something the z3's lacked in spades.

but maybe diehards can hold out for (1) an M hotrodded 1 series car (this is highly likely) or (2) a mini cooper S evo version with even more HP.

it's not all bad.

'course, by then, the 911 GT3 will be available in the US......380hp, 2700 pounds.......:)
Well, the M2 is confirmed for production.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: nate: i hope you're right, dude.

blackdawg said:

it's not all bad.

You did hear that the M3 CSL was confirmed by the M brand manager :D

Anyway, my bet would be that the lighweight hatch would be a 1 series. The 1 has an E46-like suspension? Anway, it wasn't like the MZ3s were light, 3131 for the roadster....

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
blackdawg said:

Blackdawg,

Where'd you find the Z4 specs?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exactly.

the M coupe and M roadster were not light.

and they handle brutishly: it's a wheelbase issue in conjunction with a rear end which kicks into positive camber often (too often).

i really enjoyed our time with a miata, but i always thought: hmmmm...how about more power and a longer wheelbase? the z3 doesn't exactly cut it. the boxster is okay. might do the trick.

but i'd still rather have a lightweight BMW. my only issue with the CSL is availability to the common man (doubtful), price given the performance (looks highly favorable), and reliability (look, E46m3s need some shakedown time, man).

the CSL is what i naively thought the M3 would be all along. it, too, can lap the nurburgring under 8 minutes. and the only other car to do that (production based car) which is naturally aspirated is the GT3, am pretty sure.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops. sorry alex.

the z4 specs were in those scans people did on this board as well as the bimmer.org.

marginallly larger in every dimension and weight is up 100+ more lbs. i mean, that's pretty good considering it's a larger car. and that's fine since the new SLK is going to be bigger and heavier.

but it does not help when the car will continue to be tested against the likes of the lotus elise, the s2000, or the z cars. those cars adhere more closely to the aesthetic of engineering more weight loss.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: exactly.

blackdawg said:
the M coupe and M roadster were not light.

and they handle brutishly: it's a wheelbase issue in conjunction with a rear end which kicks into positive camber often (too often).

i really enjoyed our time with a miata, but i always thought: hmmmm...how about more power and a longer wheelbase? the z3 doesn't exactly cut it. the boxster is okay. might do the trick.

but i'd still rather have a lightweight BMW. my only issue with the CSL is availability to the common man (doubtful), price given the performance (looks highly favorable), and reliability (look, E46m3s need some shakedown time, man).

the CSL is what i naively thought the M3 would be all along. it, too, can lap the nurburgring under 8 minutes. and the only other car to do that (production based car) which is naturally aspirated is the GT3, am pretty sure.
The CSL could really rip on the 911 if it was priced right. I would assume that BMW would not have to re-certify the car for sale in the US as it could be sold has a package, albiet a VERY expensive one.

I think the Z4 will be a much better car than the Z3 was. The front end is too TT like and the side has the goofy "Z", but other than that I don't see many downsides, I'll have to see it in person first. It is bigger than the Z3, which is good for me. It should improve handling and be much more acoomadating. The 2 series is for the people that want a mini roadster. Seems like a winner :dunno:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: oops. sorry alex.

blackdawg said:
the z4 specs were in those scans people did on this board as well as the bimmer.org.

marginallly larger in every dimension and weight is up 100+ more lbs. i mean, that's pretty good considering it's a larger car. and that's fine since the new SLK is going to be bigger and heavier.
I thought that it was going to be significantally larger in all dimensions? A much longer wheelbase. But, yea, 100lbs for a bigger car with better suspension isn't bad at all. The Z3 was much smaller than the SLK and Boxter, this one puts it on the level. The 2 series roadster should be more Z3 like in size :thumbup:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: exactly.

nate328Ci said:

The CSL could really rip on the 911 if it was priced right. I would assume that BMW would not have to re-certify the car for sale in the US as it could be sold has a package, albiet a VERY expensive one.

I think the Z4 will be a much better car than the Z3 was. The front end is too TT like and the side has the goofy "Z", but other than that I don't see many downsides, I'll have to see it in person first. It is bigger than the Z3, which is good for me. It should improve handling and be much more acoomadating. The 2 series is for the people that want a mini roadster. Seems like a winner :dunno:
Well, given the fact that it's several inches longer AND wider and only 110 lbs heavier, I can sort of live with that. When it comes out I'll go test drive one of course...But just the fact that it's heavier than the z3 is kinda putting me off. The 1.9L was just a hair under 3,000 lbs.

The z5, if it does get built, will likely fill my garage as the weekend warrior. I would STILL like a convertible though...This is going to be a very tough decision. :(

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: oops. sorry alex.

blackdawg said:

but it does not help when the car will continue to be tested against the likes of the lotus elise, the s2000, or the z cars. those cars adhere more closely to the aesthetic of engineering more weight loss.
No problem, thanks for that.

350Z = 3,300lbs = not exactly "light"... Anyway, let's hope the Z5 does come out a lighter car...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.