BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So was the turbo lag/lack of acceleration problem fixed for 2012?

8463 25
Everytime I look up info about the 535i I seem come upon lots of articles talking about the lack of acceleration off the line. Has this issue been resolved? Was anything different with the 2012? Or is there a fix expected for the 2013's?

I had a 2009 Z4sdrive35i and if I had it in "normal" mode, sometimes it just didn't do anything when you pushed down the gas, so I just started putting it in sport mode almost every time I got in the car, problem fixed.

Thanks.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
I have driven several 2012 F10's and a 2012 X3. None of them exhibited this behavior.
Everytime I look up info about the 535i I seem come upon lots of articles talking about the lack of acceleration off the line. Has this issue been resolved? Was anything different with the 2012? Or is there a fix expected for the 2013's?

I had a 2009 Z4sdrive35i and if I had it in "normal" mode, sometimes it just didn't do anything when you pushed down the gas, so I just started putting it in sport mode almost every time I got in the car, problem fixed.

Thanks.
I have a 2012 with the global software update, and in comfort mode (comparable to the 2011 normal) if you step on it there is a bit of a delay, but I think that is because it is starting off in second or third gear. When in sport, it accelarates with no delay like a scalded cat.
I have driven several 2012 F10's and a 2012 X3. None of them exhibited this behavior.
My 2012 sometimes tends to accelerte a little too abruptly in normal mode. A touch of the throttle sometimes introduces too much torque and it can surprise you. I think the computer adapts to your driving style so that impacts it a lot. There is no way that in my car, if you stomp it, that you will not lurch forward immediately. Now, does it spin the tires? No, my 535xi does not spin the tires and the torque curve really gets going at about 3,000 rpm. In sport mode, the car is very responsive. In normal mode, you have to "step on it" sometimes to really get moving. What is a most pleasant surprise is the gas mileage I'm getting. Considering where and the way I drive, it is better than expectations at about 11.4L per 100km.
Here we go again.

The issue is not s snappy response or anything like that.

The issue is that it goes.....pause, pause, pause, GO!
I have this problem in my 2012 535ix I thought the sprint booster was a solution but someone said it doesn't eliminate it. I hate this issue, especially coming from a Lexus 450 h hybrid with the ECVT constant velocity gearless trans. I almost killed myself jumping onto the expressway.
^^^ What mode are you driving your car in? You should not be experiencing this delay if you are in Sport mode. Eco and comfort mode is designed to have less throttle response.

Alan
You are correct, so I should drive in sport mode all the time?
From my understanding Bmw purposely gave the driver that option to choose from to cater to everyone/situation. eco and comfort mode will obviously feel more sluggish, soft and tame while sport mode will provide you with the best response and handling from the car.

Alan
I think the above is how I would describe accelerating from a stop in comfort mode in my 2012 535i. A bit of a delay then a lurch. But I can live with it.
My 2012 sometimes tends to accelerte a little too abruptly in normal mode. A touch of the throttle sometimes introduces too much torque and it can surprise you. I think the computer adapts to your driving style so that impacts it a lot. There is no way that in my car, if you stomp it, that you will not lurch forward immediately. Now, does it spin the tires? No, my 535xi does not spin the tires and the torque curve really gets going at about 3,000 rpm. In sport mode, the car is very responsive. In normal mode, you have to "step on it" sometimes to really get moving. What is a most pleasant surprise is the gas mileage I'm getting. Considering where and the way I drive, it is better than expectations at about 11.4L per 100km.
I wonder how this shows up in a manual if at all?
It does not.

It's not a throttle issue, it's a transmission programming issue.
I wonder how this shows up in a manual if at all?
Whatever it is, it's annoying and it isn't resolved completely by driving in Sport mode. I had my 2011 528 re-flashed and it made no difference. My BMW service advisor told me that "they all do it". Can't say if the 2012s are any better but I hope so. This is something that will get my very serious attention when my lease is up and it's time for a new car. Not sure I'd buy another BMW if they haven't fixed this by then.
mine does has some lag at initial acceleration (less in sport mode) .... let me refresh that ..... It does not lurch forward INMEDIATELY after pressing the gas like my previous 2006 acura TL
my car is a 2012, first batch ( no softwarwe update needed per my CA)
I recently had the software update when I had my car in for servicing of a faulty sensor in the gas filling compartment. While the update did not turn the car into a beast that jumps off the line (abruptly press the accelerator to the floor and nothing happens for a couple of seconds), throttle response from a dead stop under moderately aggressive acceleration is much more linear and satisfying - the wait, wait, go behavior is pretty much gone. I also noticed an initial drop in gas mileage, but my original (excellent) gas mileage has returned after a couple of tankfuls of driving.

One additional comment: I had a 335d loaner while my car was being serviced, and that diesel motor is a torque monster. Very fun to drive, especially at lower rpm where the torque curve is very rich. I was a little sad to give it up ... until taking the drive home in my F10. There really is no comparison in comfort and features. For me, the F10 is a far superior ride is almost every way, more so now with the software update.
Amen to that bother, I usually keep my cars 4 yrs. not sure about this one and it won't be replaced by bimmer if this issue, the spare tire and the Sirius sound aren't addressed. I love the car but.....
Whatever it is, it's annoying and it isn't resolved completely by driving in Sport mode. I had my 2011 528 re-flashed and it made no difference. My BMW service advisor told me that "they all do it". Can't say if the 2012s are any better but I hope so. This is something that will get my very serious attention when my lease is up and it's time for a new car. Not sure I'd buy another BMW if they haven't fixed this by then.
I test drove a 528 and a 535 on the same road and highway onramp. I noticed the lag from stop to highway speed is worst on the 528. The onramp was very short, almost got myself killed because of the lag on the 528, I must say, it was almost 2 seconds of lag before the 528 took off like a bat out of hell. In sport mode, the 528 has almost no lag, but the ride is very jerky.
I've not experienced the tip-in issue (as documented on this website) with my 2012 535i xDrive, ie when I press the gas pedal from a standing start the car moves forward immediately, but there is actually a lag, because at first (1 sec. to 1.5 sec.) it moves slowly, before it gathers speed at a much quicker rate. Definitely not the same as on the 2011 that I test drove before ordering (which had very clearyl the tip-in issue). After some months of ownership it is less noticeable, although I don't know if it is because I got used to it or because of other factors (like the system adapting to my driving style).
I have never experienced a lag when travelling at speed. The only thing you have to be aware of is that you have to be make sure you "step on it" to get into the lower gears. With 8 speeds there is a lot of room to move around in a modest depression in the pedal sometimes gets you a modest result. I have never experienced "lag" at all from modest speed.
I test drove a 528 and a 535 on the same road and highway onramp. I noticed the lag from stop to highway speed is worst on the 528. The onramp was very short, almost got myself killed because of the lag on the 528, I must say, it was almost 2 seconds of lag before the 528 took off like a bat out of hell. In sport mode, the 528 has almost no lag, but the ride is very jerky.
I think you are talking about lag when one is cruising and suddenly step on it, all auto transmission will have some lag in this situation because of the need to down shift. What I was refering to was the lag from a stop to highway speed. Some of the highway ramp here in the Northeast is very short. With my 2012 Audi A6, I can pretty force my way onto a short ramp with authority, with the 535i, I need a little more room to do so.
I have never experienced a lag when travelling at speed. The only thing you have to be aware of is that you have to be make sure you "step on it" to get into the lower gears. With 8 speeds there is a lot of room to move around in a modest depression in the pedal sometimes gets you a modest result. I have never experienced "lag" at all from modest speed.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.