·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alex Baumann said:
haven't driven it yet, but from the posts I've read, it doesn't sound like fun

What if my Alpina comes with it ? :tsk:
It isn't bad....

I can heel-toe DBW cars pretty easily. Lets see how I do in the M5 this weekend at the track

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Call me stupid but if I didn't already know, I couldn't tell if I had DBW in my car or not.

And auto journalists (see the latest R&T) think the DBW on the E46M3 is the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
IMO, it depnds...

On the 325i - it isn't that bad. To be honest with you, after a couple of weeks, I couldn't even tell the difference between DBW and mechanical (my former 00 323Ci).

On the M3 - best ever. Maybe ATYCLB, Glaws, Imola Ed, and others will agree... I love that Sport mode :thumb: To bad it's not the default mode... :( Oh well, it's not like the non-Sport mode is THAT bad for city traffic...

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Kaz said:
Call me stupid but if I didn't already know, I couldn't tell if I had DBW in my car or not.
Not at all Kaz. Same here...

And auto journalists (see the latest R&T) think the DBW on the E46M3 is the best thing since sliced bread.
Funny... I tend to agree... :angel: My C5's had DBW throttles, but the M3's much better! :thumb:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Kaz said:

You can't be stupid, you drive a wagon:thumb: :D

If not for the sticky pedal syndrom, I could barely tell the difference.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
in_d_haus said:
It's not perfect but has great potential! I hope they keep working on it.
I'm not wild about the version thats in my car, but I see no reason why it can't be great thing in another application. The first couple weeks with the car, I nearly found it unbearable, but like I thought, I got relatively used to it. Now, I feel like the throttle doesn't respond the way I would like it too (like a mechanical throttle) and every now and then it wil bite me in the ass. I find it bearable, but I'd like to try different mappings and see if I like something else better.

·
10,856 Posts
I think it's terrible that BMW refuses to give a decent throttle mapping on the DBW throttles. It's a nice concept. (Necessary for Valvetronic, which is why it's been introduced, I imagine.) The implementation is rather poor, however. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
clyde325xiT said:
...I find it bearable, but I'd like to try different mappings and see if I like something else better.
Dinan SW? Seems to work pretty well...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
haven't driven it yet, but from the posts I've read, it doesn't sound like fun

What if my Alpina comes with it ? :tsk:
If the B3's engine is based on the M54 engine it wil.

·
Registered
595 Posts
OEM drive by wire throttle is terrible.

it just plain sucks raw eggs.

it's marginally live-able on a day to day basis now since the EML response has been set to full "ON".

naturally, the DBW is a TAD more responsive in a car equipped with SIX throttle bodies compared to the mushiness of a single throttle bodied, DBW throttle car.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have had no problems with DBW at all. Never experienced the "sticky throttle" problem. I drive with the sport mode on all the time and, aside from the occasional rough shift from 1st to 2nd think it's great. I have seen many posts where people are advised to use normal mode in heavy traffic and sport in all other situations. I tried that for a while, but the difference in the throttle mapping was just too much for me to get used to. I tended to "bog" the engine in normal mode because of the large difference in throttle/engine response. You just have to keep a very light foot on the throttle or you are in danger of sticking your front in some one else's rear.

·
B zzzz ZZZZZZZ zzzz
226 Posts
I think more and more cars will have this as time progresses for emissions & efficiency related issues. The Audi 's all have it, I think Nissan's et al do as well. With the number of servo and solenoid related do-dads on our engines & braking systems, it would stand to reason that less "outside" mechanical linkages will be involved.

Having said that, why the automotive manufacturers would go to longer oil change intervals with all the tight tolerances in the engines, and the valves controlling the Double VANOS, I don't know. I would hope they've got some excellent filters in place to support this.

·
Registered
181 Posts
number 4 please :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts