BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might want to upgrade to a newer 3 soon and keep my E90 3 series to split the miles on. I've never considered leasing before because I figured I would be throwing away a ton of cash, but then again I have been buying CPO BMWs and then keeping them for only 3-4 years.

I see some people getting pretty decent lease deals on here. What kind of 3 series have people here been able to get for 400-450 a month?

·
Registered
301 Posts
2016 328i RWD, M-Sport, Leather, CWP, Navi, Premium, Driver assist should be doable for around $450 (with 7 MSDs down) with all fees and taxes included in the monthly payment.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Might want to upgrade to a newer 3 soon and keep my E90 3 series to split the miles on. I've never considered leasing before because I figured I would be throwing away a ton of cash, but then again I have been buying CPO BMWs and then keeping them for only 3-4 years.

I see some people getting pretty decent lease deals on here. What kind of 3 series have people here been able to get for 400-450 a month?
Your target would be a car that cost somewhere between 40k and 45k (so 1 percent of list price) would be a pretty good deal. Sometimes a person can do better, but 1 percent of the msrp of the car is a good target, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Extenuating circumstances such as the trunk money going on the outgoing 5 series right now. If you wanted a 5 series you could get one for lower than 1 percent of MSRP for sure... but not sure you could get one in that target price range. You could probably get one for the 450-500 range though.

I thought I remember reading somewhere you were not sure if you wanted a BMW again, but I might be mis remembering that?

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
2016 328i RWD, M-Sport, Leather, CWP, Navi, Premium, Driver assist should be doable for around $450 (with 7 MSDs down) with all fees and taxes included in the monthly payment.
That's a damn near $50K car. Doubtful that even with 7 MSD's the price would be under $500.00 month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it would be easy to get into a 340i for under $500 a month, especially with the good residuals now. Just find one with only the options you need and pay all the fees and taxes up front. Also, 7 MSDs will help bring it under $500. You'll have to find a 2016 at a dealer near you in order to take advantage of the high residual because new orders are all 2017s at this point.

I literally just did this with my new 340i M-Sport Track Handling Package. MSRP was $59k, selling price was $53k (with the recent grad rebate), and I did 7 MSDs. The signing costs were just under $8k (all fees, all taxes, first month and the 7 MSDs), and my monthly is an even $489.00.

Here's a pic of my new baby:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So are multiple security deposits like a way of cheating to get the price lower? You get the money back right?

Also, I drive more than 10k miles a year, it's probably closer to 12 or 13k miles a year.

I was thinking I could get into a 228i or a 328i with sport package and navigation, and was hoping I could do it for under 500 bucks a month. I don't see it being possible using the BMW.com configurator and lease calculation.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
So are multiple security deposits like a way of cheating to get the price lower? You get the money back right?

Also, I drive more than 10k miles a year, it's probably closer to 12 or 13k miles a year.

I was thinking I could get into a 228i or a 328i with sport package and navigation, and was hoping I could do it for under 500 bucks a month. I don't see it being possible using the BMW.com configurator and lease calculation.
Forget the lease numbers on the website's calculator. Take a glance over to the "ask a dealer" forum and read up on how leasing works w/ all it's moving parts. Then also read up on BMW's MSD program. I guarantee you'd be able to calculate anything almost in your head at that point. MSD's are you loaning money to BMWFS for the term of your lease. In exchange, they give give you a discount on the MF (interest rate).

A few things to keep in mind. Many here recommend the full 7 MSD's but everyone's finances are different and BMWFS let's you do however many you want between 1 and 7. You decide what you can part with for 3yrs and if that money is earning more where it is now, or would you be saving more on the decreased monthly payment (ROI). Each MSD is your payment (after the MSD's are applied) rounded up to the next $50. So if you are just over the edge, a small down payment/cap cost reduction can save you money. (ie: payment at $460 equals MSD's at $500 each. 7 would equal $3,500. Put a little bit down to bring the payment to $449, now each one is $450 and costs you $3,150)

When you say you do 12-13kmi/yr, would that be on the new car or split between both? Again, a trip to the ask a dealer forum would reveal this month's residuals. Find what they are for the 10k and 12k programs. BMWFS lets you buy miles during your lease for 16 cents/mi (or is it 20 now?). Which is cheaper, doing the 12k now, or doing the 10k and then buying however many more you need.

The 1% of msrp figure is doable. My sticker on a 320 was $42k and I'm at $399/mo incl tax. It was early '14, there were no spectacular deals/residuals and only a $500 incentive. I only put down 2 MSD's, got slightly below invoice pricing, and the base MF. 328's usually had a higher incentive $$ but I ordered the exact car I wanted at the price I wanted. Especially these days you should be able to do the same or better.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of deal do you think I could get on an F10 528i right now? I kinda want something soft and floaty for comfy days and keep my E90 for the fun weekend drives. You own a benz, is it a lease as well?

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Right now the best residual percentages are on 2016 3-series, 5-series and X5s. But 5s and X5s have much higher MSRPs so can't get to that low payment.

The BMWs with the best incentives are the i3s, and any BMW iPerformance vehicle (330e, X5 40e). But again MSRP and lower residuals (60% for a 10k lease) makes it difficult to get to depreciation-only of under $600/mo.

So back to a 3-series, with a 66% 10k/36 month residual.

The bottom line if you are at a 66% residual, your adjusted capitalized cost (MSRP less dealer discount less rebates less manufacturer discount plus any additions to cap cost) has to be around 35,000 in order to be at $400 plus tax. This assuming base rate and 7 MSDs.

You'd need to be looking for a 320 with an MSRP around $38-$40k to get there.

Or a better equipped 320 or maybe a no equipment 328 that was a former service loaner.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How about:
2106 BMW 328i RWD

MSRP - $50,000
Sale Price - $45,000
MV and Doc fees - $800
Adjusted Cap Cost - $45,800
Residual - $33,000
MF (7 MSD) - .00089
Term - 36 months

Monthly pre-tax payment - $426
Tax - 7% (just an assumption)
Monthly with tax - $456

At the moment 10% of the MSRP is very doable on 2016 3-er.
Probably even 12% are realistic.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
How about:
2106 BMW 328i RWD

MSRP - $50,000
Sale Price - $45,000
MV and Doc fees - $800
Adjusted Cap Cost - $45,800
Residual - $33,000
MF (7 MSD) - .00089
Term - 36 months

Monthly pre-tax payment - $426
Tax - 7% (just an assumption)
Monthly with tax - $456

At the moment 10% of the MSRP is very doable on 2016 3-er.
Probably even 12% are realistic.
1500-2k under invoice is easy right now (before personal incentives)? Is there trunk money or someting (not a question for michael because he cant answer that). Are people getting easily quoted under invoice on 3 series right now? I know they are on 5 seres...

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
1500-2k under invoice is easy right now (before personal incentives)? Is there trunk money or something (not a question for Michael because he cant answer that). Are people getting easily quoted under invoice on 3 series right now? I know they are on 5 series...
As always it depends on the region and also the dealer.

But I'm not seeing a way nationally that you can get 10-12% off a $50,000 2016 328i given that straight margin over invoice is about 6.5% of that.

The only way I can see that % is on a former service loaner.

Michael

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it would be easy to get into a 340i for under $500 a month, especially with the good residuals now. Just find one with only the options you need and pay all the fees and taxes up front. Also, 7 MSDs will help bring it under $500. You'll have to find a 2016 at a dealer near you in order to take advantage of the high residual because new orders are all 2017s at this point.

I literally just did this with my new 340i M-Sport Track Handling Package. MSRP was $59k, selling price was $53k (with the recent grad rebate), and I did 7 MSDs. The signing costs were just under $8k (all fees, all taxes, first month and the 7 MSDs), and my monthly is an even $489.00.

So much want right now! Sweet ride!

·
Registered
288 Posts

Sick ride but I think it is kind of misleading to say it is possible to get a 340 under $500 a month, at least with how I would imagine the OP was intending. It is possible to get ANY car under $500 a month on a lease or finance, it just depends on how much you put down up front. From my understanding, it sounds like the OP wants to know if they can get a new lease for $400-$450 with close to no money down, which is harder to do.

Not discrediting your advice, but without MSDs and without cash down, your $489 a month payment is probably much closer to $620-650 a month.

·
Registered
288 Posts
With that being said, to address the OPs question: on a service loaner it is more than possible to get a 3 series for under $450 a month, you just have to find one that is equipped how you want and at a good price. Just search through cars.com to find some. Otherwise you'd be looking at base/close to base cars for a $450 a month payment on a new 3 series, even with some decent incentives and the choice residuals, if you don't want to put any money down.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not discrediting your advice, but without MSDs and without cash down, your $489 a month payment is probably much closer to $620-650 a month.
I would be putting down the max number of MSDs, as you get them at the end of the lease, correct? Then they can roll it into the next lease after that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would be putting down the max number of MSDs, as you get them at the end of the lease, correct? Then they can roll it into the next lease after that.
Correct. If that is the case then you could probably get a fairly nice 340i in the $450ish range. You might also check out 2016 x3s and x4s, if you don't mind a SUV, as they also have really good residuals this month.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
I have seen some amazing deals on 5 series - particularly ex demo/loaners. Just as an example I saw a 70k 535 with 10k miles on it for 53k. With max MSDs and 0 down the lease would've been in the 400s. Also saw an 80k 550 with a large discount that would've leased for close to 500 with 0 down and max MSDs. I am quite sure you could lease a 60k msrp 528 in the low 400s without trying too hard (assuming around a 10k discount on a former loaner or demo)

Easiest way to find them us to search for CPO 2016 5 series. They qualify for new car lease programs but you subtract .25/mile in residual value for mileage over 500.

On a 3 series - even a factory ordered one you should be able to get around .9% of msrp with max MSDs and 0 down.

My personal bar for a good BMW lease deal is .7-8% of msrp. Doesn't happen all the time but usually you can find something in the fall or winter timeframe. Right now I'd look very closely at 5 series sitting on dealer lots. Of course, the pickier you are about color and options the harder it becomes.

That being said I think my favorite bang for your buck sedan lease now would be a charger scat pack. 485 hp, biksteins, brembos and good fit/finish from what I've observed. Available with all the same tech features as a 3 series except hud (does have cooled seats though). You could probably lease one for around 450 or less. Granted, that's around 1% of msrp but it still seems like a lot of car for 328/528 money. If you must have AWD or don't like the muscle car image then it's a no-go of course. Seems like it might be fun to try for 3 years just to experience something different.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts