BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember where I first read it but I had this note in a text file I was keeping on my car that said:

"Have the tech take a close look at your front control arm bushings. Lots of people are finding they only have a 25k mile lifespan. "

anyway, when my car was in for service I had them look at it but they told me that it didn't apply to 330's. does anyone have more info on this?

thanks

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
You sure you didn't read something for E23/24/28, which are notorious for their deteriorating front control arm bushings?

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robg said:
You're right 31st330- control arm bushings were failing very quickly-- so BMW increased the size from 60mm to 66mm from February of 2001.
I have a dial caliper. which part of the bushing to I measure to get 60 or 66?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Front control arms

Just had mine replaced (after 20.000 km). Dealer said they where eventually going to fail, so he replaced them with a new improved version. This info was confirmed by the BMW area service manager.

Nice, service. I had not noticed anything myself.

JSE

·
Registered
738 Posts
I brought my car in to have some new tires mounted last year and I mentioned to my service adviosr that I had this clunking or creaking sound when I turned the wheel at parking lot speeds, and it got louder as the temperature increased.

I was quite happy when I picked up the car because all I owed was $50 for the mounting and balancing. They had recommended an alignment after mounting the new tires ($100) but I got it at no charge because they had to align the car after they replaced the control arms to solve the clunking issue.

It was a very common E46 issue, and now it has become a very common E53 issue. Warning- don'ttell the dealer to "check them out and see if they are ok", rather, tell them that you notice a looseness in the front end and that the car makes a clunking sound when turning. BMW has been replacing too many of these lately, and they have started to tell the dealers to replace them only when the customer specifically complains of the symptoms. If you don't complain about it, the dealer will not be able to replace them as BMW will not pay them.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
The problem with the arm bushings is also well known here in Germanland. I have the second set on my car. If I'm not mistaken, they called it the second generation here.

Same like the door seals and the power windows. Each of them is on the second or third version by now.

·
3,440 Posts
Ok, I've been getting a clunking sound when the steering wheel is moved, but my dealer is replacing my retrofit steering rack (it's also leaking). My car had the updated control arm brackets w/ bushings installed at 5978 miles (currently 82XX). Apparently an alignment was not done either of the 2 times. :mad: I'm slighty pissed, but this really isn't any surprise.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DrBimmer said:
It was a very common E46 issue, and now it has become a very common E53 issue. Warning- don'ttell the dealer to "check them out and see if they are ok", rather, tell them that you notice a looseness in the front end and that the car makes a clunking sound when turning. BMW has been replacing too many of these lately, and they have started to tell the dealers to replace them only when the customer specifically complains of the symptoms. If you don't complain about it, the dealer will not be able to replace them as BMW will not pay them.
duotor:

actually, the service advisor reworded my "please check it out" statement to something similar to what you recommend. when I picked up the car they told me that yes, the E46 has this problem but the 330's already have the updated part. nothing was fixed. I don't want to get stuck paying for this when the warranty expires.

I just recently started noticing a shimmy at low speeds but not at higher speeds.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Is this related to the Al lower control arm change that was talked about on Fanatics, I think, some time ago?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I forget. It was sometime last year. Some people were getting their older cars' stock front lower control arms replaced in whole (with busings I assume) with cast aluminum ones that at some point became standard. I remember looking under my car at the time and seeing that it was already Al.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.