BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
In Heaven
2,971 Posts
fuel injected.
+1, it was first to differentiate the Fuel injected cars from the basic carburators fed ones:thumbup:...

·
Registered
194 Posts
What about "si"?

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,693 Posts
ci was coupe or convertible for a long time too.

ti was turismo internationale ( i know i spelled that wrong)
and tii was turismo internationale injectione

and it's IS as in 318is

·
Registered
231 Posts
You guys are joking, right?

i = gas
d = diesel

So 330i has a 3.0L gas engine, while 330d features a 3.0L diesel engine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In what context? Such as CSi (635 CSi)?

Or did you mean iS? E30 and E36 coupes were labeled iS
No as in Z4 3.0si, like in my sig.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
i refers to you. meaning, its all about you, because you drive a BMW.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Injection? thats it ? I thought that it would be some fancy german word...
Mercedes already used that for their fuel injected cars..."Einspritzung". Hence the "E" designation on Mercedes models up until the early 1990s. Now "E" represents the E Class.

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Mercedes already used that for their fuel injected cars..."Einspritzung". Hence the "E" designation on Mercedes models up until the early 1990s. Now "E" represents the E Class.
Yes, I read that elsewhere, and it makes sense. For example, the late 1980's and 90's 190E and 300E are both E-suffixed cars, but they are different classes/platforms (W201 vs. W124).

IIRC: It was sometime in 1993 and/or starting MY94 that MB changed its nomenclature, designated the Klasses beyond the S, SL, etc. and brought the suffix forward. E.g., the 500SEL became the S500, the 420E became the E420, etc. "New" klasses included the C, E, CL (formerly SEC), later CLK, SLK, not to mention new model lines/platforms such as A, B, ML, GL, R, etc.

Although the W124 is generally regarded as the first E class, it did not have the comprehensive class distinction until those early 90s changes. Many of the W124 cars had no E in their title, such as the 300D, 300TD, etc. IIRC the E in those 300E's stood for Einspritzung. It was only later that the E stood for the E class. Similarly, the W201s had no C in their titles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I always thought the SE model of a BMW, ie mine is a 523i SE, meant Supplemental Equipment. That might just be a UK thing though?

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
You can't compare designations between makers. What it means on a BMW is not the same thing it means on a Honda or MB. Heck, even BMW has changed things back and forth. But in general for BMWs:

i - injected
d - diesel
S - sport
e - eta (mid 80s lower emissions better fuel economy setup)
C - Coupe
l - light
L - long (lengthened, like the E39 7 series)
t - turbo or touring

So:

CSi - Coupe Sport injected
CSl - Coupe Sport Light
tii - Touring Improved Injected
eS - eta Sport
iS - injected Sport

1 - 20 of 25 Posts