BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So you want a bmw for cheap...its sheer joy!馃槖

4692 29
How about 3 (all over 220k)...I'm still afloat with the 04 (not shown)...
The 06 Red needs break booster,
The 05 wht needs coolant pump, (I think only the O-ring seal is worn)...yes, the joys!
The good news they all crank and run the road like crazy[emoji2958]
Best for me to do this now...got jury duty next week.
Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk
Reactions: Morgan06750Li
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
I am with you, my 04 just passed inspection so I am going to keep it rolling too! At least you know what the issues are. I have front end noise that I have to try to figure out
I had font end noise...wasn't trying to address the noise but changed the stabilizing links front and back...noise diminished considerably.

This thread is completely useless.
Reactions: dukedkt442
Water pump job complete... except I have to reattach the fan and all the other brittle plastics.
I'll attempt here (with this job) to exhibit the pros and cons of 16+ yr old 3 bmw car ownership.
Take in account its my perspective, my view, my opinion.
Iam well aware of the environment here...I have no concerns for the haters, but I do read the many posts from those who want in on the bmw game and those who want an immediate exit. And those in between. Maybe I can slightly help.
I am not a mechanic, an average Joe but I can learn by reading,viewing and doing... comprehending ain't too bad as well. I can also draw pretty good conclusions. And if I have a strong interest in something I can "go to town" as my daddy used to say.
I don't have deep pockets but I love to save myself $. I can find a deal if I'm on the hunt. Iam not afraid of taking a risk and I reserve the right to think outside of the box and be unorthodox. However, I can also follow directions to the tee. This is just some of the things I've come to know about myself at 59. I rather fail at my own attempt and not at someone else's and I pay them for failing me,,,Hell No!

Anyways....the star of the show pic1 I suspected the pump seal (o-ring) was worn and not the pump itself...notice the wear of the o-ring.

Compare the roundness of the blk rubber o-ring between pics2 and 3
Resulting in me NOT installing the pump on the shelf pic4 and using its o-ring.

I may buy 2 more o-rings $4 and do the same job on the other 2 Xs.

Note to the new comer... always keep in mind 80% of the time there's going to be casualties! Pics 5 and 6...there was no major force! The thing broke like dried cray paper in high-school art class.

After a run for groceries and to pick up some coolant from AA by time I got back it was dark and much colder in the garage. I filled and ran the engine with coolant. Turned the heater on full blast...the temp needle hit center but I wasn't feeling no heat so I called it a day and let gravity take care of the trapped air pockets...no pic for that.
Note to the New Comer...
know when to walk away! And come back at the BMW job.

You didn't give it a chance...my friend. Why so quick to judge...There's no expiration date on these things right. I suspect that just as you were plunking out your post, i was starting the conclusion of mine Wow!! There's got to be some poetic justice there. Now there are some sections on this forum where I feel the same way but at least the guy is not on top of some tall building screaming "save the butterflies!"

This thread is completely useless.
Reactions: abscate
If I read this right you passed on the pump replacement and just did the o ring?

that鈥檚 perfectly useful information , made even better if you document the oring size and part number?

so you are a chatter. I get it, I鈥檓 a yakker , too. People who just come in to complain about content, without adding any, are sad, lonely people, not even worth the Ignore button l..just skip their posts.
Reactions: dukedkt442
You got it!
I did look the O-ring up on OEM site $2.99 list price
Advance Auto $1.99 ...let me find the pages.

If I read this right you passed on the pump replacement and just did the o ring?

that鈥檚 perfectly useful information , made even better if you document the oring size and part number?
How's the bearing in that water pump? If the bearing/shaft seal is bad, you'll get leakage out of the shaft, FYI.
Thanks for that...no grinding just as smooth as the new one. [emoji106]

How's the bearing in that water pump? If the bearing/shaft seal is bad, you'll get leakage out of the shaft, FYI.
What NOW!
Looks like the coolant pump is remedied but,
Now seems the radiator needs replacement! See the vapor steam...![emoji19]
Well the 05 did see me to KeyWest and back...

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk
Well, phook. Give that guy a break , BimmerGod
Note to the new comer...
Just think what a situation I'd be in if that was my only car. Heck in my current situation I need three. Of course I can take my time read, research and repair at my leasure. But what a nightmare, if I didn't have a backup auto.[emoji44]

Had second thoughts...so i decided to ditch the original water pump and go on and use the one on the shelf. Don't know if I could trust that 17 yr old pump. In the process of removal one of the bolts snapped in half. Under my thumb -see pic- .
I used my birthday gift from my neighbor to remove the half bolt....see second pic. Even the bolts are brittle. Always prepare yourself for casualties when working on the ultimate driving machine.

The 04 was riding smooth...I had the big idea of testing out one of the 2.5 maf sensors...(someone gave me) drove around the block...came back with a hard drivers airbag light on the dash.
Note to the new comer... Remember when things are going right don't get cocky because the car will put you in your place! Leave well enough alone.[emoji19] I got no one to blame but myself.

Sent from my 9029W using Tapatalk
Well now that water pump was replaced on the 05...ive now ordered wp for 04 and 06.
3X3 ownership [emoji44]
Note to the new comer...
Good to have a stash of parts ...don't go crazy like me but if you should run across a good deal or a part thats unique to your car and genuine,, -Pick it up!- this lessens the stress of dealing with common and certain, times to replace parts on a 10 plus year old car.

Also for the 05 thought I would address the in reverse tilt passenger mirror today. Seeing that at the start of the week it tilted and stayed at its lowest point and never came back up to usual position, as if to say it's sick and will not function until addressed.
Once opened, (as you can see) I see nothing irregular or out of order. So I cleaned out the dust and sprayed throughout electrical contact cleaner.
Used a little silicone on the opening over the electrical board opening...keep out the elements. Scrapped and sprayed the electrical contacts.
I'll let dry and re-install and see what happens when I place the car in reverse.
To the new comer: no casualties...so far[emoji1696]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Reactions: frisbeeguy
Well [emoji106]...its back functioning on each reverse. We'll see what happens in the next week, if I don't report back on this subject (within the coming week)...I'll consider this a soft win!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Reactions: frisbeeguy
Yesterdays morning was chilly. Put the 05 in reverse and
- no tilt! - Could it be the cold temp? No!
After dismantling the full mirror and housing out of the spirit of investigating and frustration. I find the problem is not dirt, dust or moisture... but get this....a kink or slight fold in the ribbon line electrical connection. I took the kinks out, smoothed out the bends where they were not damaging. I feel good about this one repair attempt now, no soft win on this
project.....[emoji123][emoji41]
PS...the connection you see in the last pic, it lies dormant and unconnected.
If I should apply maintenance to the other 5 tilting mirrors I would use dry lube.
These mirrors are very fragile !

Question where abouts does it leak? I've got a water leak I'm trying to diagnose after a transfer case repair, not sure if it's a drain channel from the sunroof, AC or if my f**ckn mechanics replaced the coolant with water...
How about 3...I'm still afloat with the 04 (not shown)...
The 06 Red needs break booster,
The 05 wht needs coolant pump, (I think only the O-ring seal is worn)...yes, the joys!
The good news they all crank and run the road like crazy[emoji2958]
Best for me to do this now...got jury duty next week.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.