BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys need some help I brought a 330ci that has an SSG gearbox, I have been going from forum to forum for some ideas on my fault!!

Ok from the start basically if I leave car running for a bit when I select 1st gear I have to rev really hard and car kicks in with a bang and flys off, just as if you have flicked your foot off the clutch!! I have have tried loads already relearnt the box ie clutch, gears and re bled the system the hydraulic fluid for the box was low so topped it up and it's fine!

I knew there was a slight weep from the slave cylinder but decided to go the while hog and fit new fly wheel and clutch!! can you guess nothing wrong with either and they look new!!

If the car plays up and cog light comes on turn and wait few mins and I can pull off again!! just to say if you do leave it running and can't move quick switch off and away you go but not properly exactly it seems to slip very slightly between gears but no to bad for the SSG

When a fault arises there are two codes 1st being gear selector sensor and 2nd CAN nit plusiable signal the 1st i think is because of what's happening I have had enough now ready to burn the car!!

If someone has any ideas please please help!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
SSG flag

My 2004 325Ci coupe with SMG(SSG) is in the shop having the seal replaced on the slave cylinder. It's been a PITA for 3 years, dozens of hours searching, two actuator hydraulic pumps, top offs, and finally a solution. Please search "SSG" under this forum and you will find what almost all SSG owners have been looking for.

If you're slave cylinder is leaking, like mine has been, even after re-teaching the SSG, clutch position, etc. after a few days, one day for me, the same issues arise. The pressure in the slave instantly becomes off, relating to the actuator pump problems. Replace the slave cylinder ($1500) or get the repair kit for the manual, which has the exact same seal in it for around $50, and change it yourself or at the dealer. This has supposedly fixed the other SSG problems I've researched. Good luck.

·
No User Serviceable Parts
1,464 Posts
Right. I did some checking, and it's one in the same, and very rare. From what I've heard, the best thing to do, is take the car into the middle of a field, set it on fire, and collect the insurance money.

Seriously, your only options are to either swap the box with a true manual, or sell the car as fast as you can. The SMG/SSG boxes in the 330s are sheer junk, and you will spend less money doing a swap than you will repairing and maintaining that piece of trash.

I am in no way trying to be rude or mean or anything like that! That was brand new technology back when your car was made, and as far as I know, these kind of transmissions are still junk!

All the manufacturers are making them, so eventually some one will figure out how to make them reliable, and then they will be a hot item, but see if you can trade that car on a manual 330! Even the automatic is better! :(

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Isn't that an SMG gearbox? I've never heard of SSG. It's the manual transmission without a clutch, right?
You haven`t been paying attention, Blurry....in almost every discussion of this trans, it`s been explained that the terms "SMG" and "SSG" are interchangeable in non-M cars, and that the TRUE SMGII as used in the M-series is a completely different animal from the troublesome SSG (which for marketing reasons, was also [mistakenly] referred to as "SMG" by BMW).

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Bobby, what would I do without ya! Seamless Shifting Gearbox! :eek:
More like "Semi-Shifting Sh!tbox", my good man....(should be referred to as "SSS" :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Auto transitions tend to clog up when the ATF is changed. The fresh ATF results in sludge becoming lose which could cause gear slippage. Happened to a buddy of mine (non BMW car) right after fluid change. He had to take it back, they cleaned the sludge and his car has been running smoothly ever since. I thought SMGs are closer to auto than to manual? That's why I asked.

·
Registered
275 Posts
All the problem points to a leaking actuator ... Have the O-Ring replaced using the BMW repair kit and do the bleeding procedure and SMG teaching-in procedure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the actuator is leaking but the garage said the slave pushes so it would not work at all if it had failed they are saying it's a electrical fault but when the box plays up only says gear selector switch which obviously works ok and can sign plausible ??? Have they bulled me up because they put in back together and charged me 300 for the privilege lol! They said they wouldn't recommend fitting a new actuator and the seal that came with the kit I ordered was wrong!!! Really pis#*d off now just want my car working!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Yeah the actuator is leaking but the garage said the slave pushes so it would not work at all if it had failed they are saying it's a electrical fault but when the box plays up only says gear selector switch which obviously works ok and can sign plausible ??? Have they bulled me up because they put in back together and charged me 300 for the privilege lol! They said they wouldn't recommend fitting a new actuator and the seal that came with the kit I ordered was wrong!!! Really pis#*d off now just want my car working!
One major problem is, your trans is so rarely seen, that even experienced BMW mechanics look at it and scratch their heads....even BMW gave up on the idea of trying to fix them....that should tell you something.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think they're BSing you. A new/rebuilt actuator will fix the problem. If they can't do it, look for an independent shop that also races M3s. The transmissions are not the same, but they're similar enough that yours will not be a mystery.
Also, search the E46 forum for SSG/SMG - there were some recent posts about rebuilding kit for the clutch slave cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had similar problem to your one, changed clutch and actuator and didn't help.
Then I changed a garage and guy find alternator is broken what was affected the computer , and now I'm waiting- mechanic get new diagnostic computer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.