BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the door apart to install new Bavsound speakers, now the door that I took apart soft close doesnt work. I can hear it trying, sounds normal, but its not closing the door. did I put something back wrong? other side works great. not getting any codes or anything, it sounds normal, except it isn't closing the door.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got nothing, can't find a post anywhere on this topic

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
This sounds like the latch part for the soft close is starting to fail. Did you adjust the door locks in anyway, or the striker that the door locks on, & it may help? The bad news is that you have to buy the upper & lower part of the lock, to repair the problem. I would look around on Ebay for a used part, as this will cost around 100.00.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sounds like the latch part for the soft close is starting to fail. Did you adjust the door locks in anyway, or the striker that the door locks on, & it may help? The bad news is that you have to buy the upper & lower part of the lock, to repair the problem. I would look around on Ebay for a used part, as this will cost around 100.00.
Thanks for getting back Herb. I don't think it is starting to fail. Its way too new, and it was working perfect until I got in there and screwed around. I did something to it. BTW - I figured out why I could not get the door panel back in. Followed the BavSound video, and lifted up on the door panel when all the plastic rivets were loose per the video. Bad idea, bent the upper metal clips upward, and when trying to put the door back they could not connect, bent them back, and boom, door back in. BUTTTT...... now the soft close doesn't work, pretty sure I screwed something up, car is low milage, and it was working perfectly before I took it apart, I did something wrong. if you have any idea, sure would appreciate them.

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
You could have possibly knocked one of the two cables loose, but I think the lock failed. I have had to place one on my wife's 750 at 50k miles, on a back door that rarely gets used. If the door panel is not properly installed, it could be pushing the soft close back from latching? Look closely at your other door, then check the gaps on the seal & door panel.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could have possibly knocked one of the two cables loose, but I think the lock failed. I have had to place one on my wife's 750 at 50k miles, on a back door that rarely gets used. If the door panel is not properly installed, it could be pushing the soft close back from latching? Look closely at your other door, then check the gaps on the seal & door panel.
That sounds like a possibility. It is doing its normal thing, but backs off. You may have nailed it. How close is the tolerance on this gizmo?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm wondering if something came loose. The manual door pull popped off near the lock (circled in red) and I had to put it back. Could something have come undone when this occurred?

Hair Vertebrate Product Organ Organism

Some good photos of the door lock mechanism

Bumper Bicycle part Automotive design Automotive exterior Eyewear

Automotive design Toy Lego Office equipment Automotive lighting

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gadget Event Fashion accessory

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check the cable terminal, (plastic)
the steel cable has a plastic sleeve that goes into the head that is hooked. that cover didn't fit all the way into the head

Happened to me when I retrofitted the Softclose on my F30

Enviado desde mi SM-F916B mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made it over to the car today, turns out, soft close is working, but I have to push the door in to make it happen. wow, some close tolerances here. the door was put back together nearly perfectly

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the cable terminal, (plastic)
the steel cable has a plastic sleeve that goes into the head that is hooked. that cover didn't fit all the way into the head

Happened to me when I retrofitted the Softclose on my F30

which cable are you referencing?

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
I would pull the door panel & then see if the door shuts like it should. There is a proximity sensor that measure the door when shut. If the gap is not within tolerance, the door will pull in, then release it back out. If you were not in the very back of the door, you shouldn't have pulled one of the cables off. If one of the door panel locking push tabs fell out of the panel, it could be holding it out just enough to keep the soft close from working properly. Try slamming it for a few days, to see if it might seat itself? You can't buy one of the locking devices by itself, you have to buy the set. At prices these days, they are probably in the 900.00 range.

·
Registered
97 Posts
which cable are you referencing?
The one that pulls the outside/inside lever
Remove the latches and with it in your hand close the actuator with a screwdriver as if you were going to close the door, so you can see what is not working correctly

That's my video when I was retrofitted the softclose.
That's what you have to do to find the issue
I would pull the door panel & then see if the door shuts like it should. There is a proximity sensor that measure the door when shut. If the gap is not within tolerance, the door will pull in, then release it back out. If you were not in the very back of the door, you shouldn't have pulled one of the cables off. If one of the door panel locking push tabs fell out of the panel, it could be holding it out just enough to keep the soft close from working properly. Try slamming it for a few days, to see if it might seat itself? You can't buy one of the locking devices by itself, you have to buy the set. At prices these days, they are probably in the 900.00 range.
You can buy a used one for 200€ or less. Mine are used from a F07

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where is the proximity sensor located? In the self close mechanism?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the proximity sensor the hall effect sensor - in the door lock ??

Automotive lighting Font Parallel Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Automatic Soft Close system

The soft-close automatic allows you to close the doors to safely and easily without much effort or disruptive noise.

In narrow parking spaces or in positions with little space to use momentum to shut the door, you can simply let the door swing gently into the door lock. Once the door has reached the correct position (approx. 6 mm door gap), the soft-close automatic is activated via the door lock.

Then an electric motor pulls the door to completely and secures it. After successfully closing the door, the electric motor moves the lock components in the door lock automatically back into the initial position. The door can be opened and closed again at any time.

If a door was already closed manually, the electromechanical closing action is performed once for safety's sake to make sure the door is actually closed and does not simply appear to be so.
Brief component description
Door lock

Specific door locks must be installed to support the soft-close automatic function.

The door lock is fitted with a rotary striker and a locking pawl. The door lock can be unlocked mechanically or electrically and then reopened.

If the vehicle is equipped with an Automatic Soft Close system motor, the door only needs to be pressed down lightly into the door lock to close it. This starts the electric motor and the door closes fully.

The soft-close automatic is connected electrically to the corresponding door lock.

Font Automotive tire Automotive design Machine Automotive lighting

The Automatic Soft Close system for the vehicle doors is a stand-alone function. The only connections to the vehicle electrical system are Terminal 30B and Terminal 31 (load earth). The drive units for the Automatic Soft Close function assume operational status as soon as power is available from Terminal 30B.

The electronic circuitry for controlling and monitoring functionality is in the Automatic Soft Close system's drive motor. The sensor systems for the Automatic Soft Close system are in the door lock. The sensor system are of the hall effect sensor type. The hall effect sensors (locking pawl switch and rotary striker switch) detect the position of the rotary striker and the locking pawl.

Location data is stored in the drive motor's electronics. Thus the control system always knows what the motor position is and can operate it in order to move it to a defined position. When the motor is running, the stop conditions are checked every 23 milliseconds. If the electronic circuitry fails to detect arrival at defined positions within 5 seconds the drive motion is cancelled, i.e., the power supply to the DC motor is deactivated. After that, a change in status signalled by the hall effect sensors is sufficient to start it up again.

The driver's door Automatic Soft Close system drive motor has a repeat lock circuit to prevent the motor overheating. After activation and operation 15 times (15 increment counter), the drive motor is electrically locked out for approx. 2 minutes.

Automotive lighting Font Machine Auto part Parallel

REFERENCE: BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) - View Single Post - Soft Close Doors

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its still not clear what the hall effect sensor does, is its job to determine position of lock only? Or does it also determine position of door gap which then activates the door locking mechanism?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More documentation

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is no such sensor. There's a trigger that activates the soft close when the door latch touches the hook

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
There is no such sensor. There's a trigger that activates the soft close when the door latch touches the hook

Maybe you need to read up on this some more, as there is a sensor that measures the position of where the door shuts, for the soft close. Read the pdf for a better understanding on how the door works. This did not take place somewhere in 2009 to 2010 on the E63, E64 models.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts