BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Michael
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~Is it worth starting a thread where we highlight software resets which drivers can do for themselves. The main one at present is the transmission reset!!! are there any others ???

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just got the 'check engine' - emissions light/warning and would like to know how to reset to see if an issue - rather than go to dealer (out of warrenty).

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
That is a good idea for a sticky. We could add the check control resets, the adaptive steering reset plus some info on what is available software-wise for reading and resetting codes.

·
Michael
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no software reset for this although many threads on the issue. Subject to the miles on your car, the biggest issue for you guys in the States is the quality of your petrol. Try using a petrol additive this may help, also consider doing an internal injector cleaner, such as BG44 ?? may help!!!

·
Michael
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Yorgi, I agree with your idea, if we could place them all in one location it could help many of those people who have little experience and depend too much on BMW dealers who often seem to have little inclination to get to the core of the issue.
If you would like to start a sticky, (I am a little ignorant in this area) that would be great!!!!
I think a little order to these items would be great as many good threads get thrown off subject and good ideas seem to get lost in the mass!!!!
Perhaps a sticky for each major section of the car, transmission, engine, software, Soft top etc..

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just got the 'check engine' - emissions light/warning and would like to know how to reset to see if an issue - rather than go to dealer (out of warrenty).
Need more info... may just need fuel injector cleaner, may need spark plugs/coils.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
160 Posts
Need more info... may just need fuel injector cleaner, may need spark plugs/coils.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Don't want to highjack this thread - but would appreciate help-

1- Yes, I did read most of the threads on the issue

2. 47,000 miles, just came on 2 days ago and says 'emissions malfunction' - I drive just 2-4 miles a day during week - never really gets heated up for most part

3. I have NEVER used anything other than Sunoco's top grade (91 or 93 octane)

4. Added a fuel injector cleaner to a tank about a month ago.

Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts

2. 47,000 miles, just came on 2 days ago and says 'emissions malfunction' - I drive just 2-4 miles a day during week - never really gets heated up for most part

Thanks.
I had the same error on last tuesday night, So i hook it up to my scan tool. Had code P0128 which was the thermostat. I cleared the code and it hasn't pop back on since. BMW replaced it in 2008, so I guess I have to replace it again. It's an easy fix.

·
Michael
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks.
Given your daily mileage, you could try a couple of things, go for a long ride at speed to clear as much junk as possible, it could be that your oxygen sensors are covered in crap, and the catalytic converters are never getting to operating temperature which leads to a buildup of impurities, (it takes a good few miles before they are upto temp). Another issues but generally can show a code is the Maff sensor, I used a special cleaner on mine and it made a difference.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks much all - I will hit beltway at mach 6 this wekend inbetween MAsters tee offs to see if I can get it to go out -

To answer OPs qustion, yes - I think sticky is good idea.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just was driving home from work and got the dummy light on as well. have no idea what it is, the last time this happened i changed the air box to a cold air intake. my friend hooked a computer to the car and it came up as a mass air flow temperature sensor. put the original air intake back on the car and the light cleared itself. now i havnt touched the car and it just came on out of nowhere, any help

Attachments

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Increased emissions is a catch all message. You will have to read the codes to find out what triggered it. Could be thermostat, O2 sensors, etc.... Do a search and you will find many threads on the issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Increased emissions is a catch all message. You will have to read the codes to find out what triggered it. Could be thermostat, O2 sensors, etc.... Do a search and you will find many threads on the issue.
Yorgi is right it can be anything. You can also try your gas cap to make sure it's on tight, I think it's 3 clicks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts