1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
479 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think clearly my 2020 is a candidate for the upgrade, but just how do you verify your car's OS?

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
479 Posts
I think clearly my 2020 is a candidate for the upgrade, but just how do you verify your car's OS?
MY2020 G30 is a candidate for the upgrade.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, that is what I said. Now to the question...
Not sure I understand your question. You can very easily identify your OS version between iDrive 6 and 7. They have a totally different user interface. Just check on Google image... You would at least need Live Cockpit Professional.

There is still no official statement that pre-LCi G30 will get RSU and the other presented features. That is very frustrating and the only way to know is get 07/2020 dealer update. I have an appointement for the end of this month under warranty.

BMW made the mistake to list RSU in pre-LCI commercial contract, so they will support dealer updates for free during the warranty period until the feature comes up :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not sure I understand your question. You can very easily identify your OS version between iDrive 6 and 7. They have a totally different user interface. Just check on Google image... You would at least need Live Cockpit Professional.

There is still no official statement that pre-LCi G30 will get RSU and the other presented features. That is very frustrating and the only way to know is get 07/2020 dealer update. I have an appointement for the end of this month under warranty.

BMW made the mistake to list RSU in pre-LCI commercial contract, so they will support dealer updates for free during the warranty period until the feature comes up :D
My question was very clear and you answered it. Having only 1 bimmer with iDrive until my recent purchase, I had always referred to NBT etc. not OS versions.

Both articles say if you have OS7 you are getting the update, but the second one does further qualify "for certain compatible BMW vehicles built before July, already in customers’ hands..." so that does imply not necessarily all. It also says for those eligible, it will not come until a 3Q OTA update. So it sounds like for those of us with pre July G30s that we might have to wait until at least September to see what features we can expect to get with the update as the article also states that "The NFC hardware required for the digital key is available for vehicles produced from July 2020." So even if we get the update, it sounds like that feature will not be possible since we may not have the NFC transceiver. Please let us know what you find out in your appointment. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My question was very clear and you answered it. Having only 1 bimmer with iDrive until my recent purchase, I had always referred to NBT etc. not OS versions.

Both articles say if you have OS7 you are getting the update, but the second one does further qualify "for certain compatible BMW vehicles built before July, already in customers' hands..." so that does imply not necessarily all. It also says for those eligible, it will not come until a 3Q OTA update. So it sounds like for those of us with pre July G30s that we might have to wait until at least September to see what features we can expect to get with the update as the article also states that "The NFC hardware required for the digital key is available for vehicles produced from July 2020." So even if we get the update, it sounds like that feature will not be possible since we may not have the NFC transceiver. Please let us know what you find out in your appointment. Thanks.
Well you cannot receive an OTA update if you don't have RSU... so you will need to get a dealer update at least once. And OS7, even "lite" version, works only with MGU units, not NBT Evo.
As I understand 2018-2019 OS7 cars can already have those features (except Apple key) with a dealer update (once dealer has downloaded the july update). It is the OTA update that will be available from 3Q 2020 for units with RSU.
The big question is for pre-LCI G30 and X3/X4 that do not have RSU, will the dealer update correct it?
Worst case, as long as we can get 1-2 free updates per year at dealer during warranty, it is fine for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well you cannot receive an OTA update if you don't have RSU... so you will need to get a dealer update at least once. And OS7, even "lite" version, works only with MGU units, not NBT Evo.
As I understand 2018-2019 OS7 cars can already have those features (except Apple key) with a dealer update (once dealer has downloaded the july update). It is the OTA update that will be available from 3Q 2020 for units with RSU.
The big question is for pre-LCI G30 and X3/X4 that do not have RSU, will the dealer update correct it?
Worst case, as long as we can get 1-2 free updates per year at dealer during warranty, it is fine for me.
Well I purchased mine in May. It was built in February. When I enter my VIN on BMW.com's software update site, it says, "The software of your BMW will be updated automatically." So I think I'm OK.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No I think this is for older models, not relevant for RSU.

You can check in the connected drive portal with your account and VIN that RSU is not supported. If it becomes supported with this month's update, they will probably adapt the information in the store.

But as I said if RSU is in your contract you should contact your dealer for an update under warranty.

·
Registered
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
90 Posts
Do we know when in July the update will reach the dealers? I***8217;m annoyed my new car doesn***8217;t have RSU already.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do we know when in July the update will reach the dealers? I'm annoyed my new car doesn't have RSU already.
No way to know. That's why I will do it at the end of the month.

I am very annoyed too. What annoys me even more is BMW+dealers hiding these limitations in pre-LCI just to sell quickly. Very disappointing from such a brand.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I emailed one SA last week and have not heard back, so I just emailed another. I will try to get this added to mine if at all possible. Will report back...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I received a call from BMW and they said at this time, there are no plans to retrofit the Digital Key, so what are the primary other features everyone wants from the upgrade?

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
479 Posts
I received a call from BMW and they said at this time, there are no plans to retrofit the Digital Key, so what are the primary other features everyone wants from the upgrade?
At a minimum Remote Software Updates. Ideally, feature parity with other iDrive 7 cars (such as the new maps, Personal Assistance updates, etc. -- excluding hardware stuff like Digital Key or Traffic Jam Assist Pro camera).

Basically, to go from iDrive 7 "lite" to iDrive 7.

·
Registered
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
90 Posts
I called my service center and the SA didn't even know what I was talking about. I'm not sure he even understood the concept, quite honestly. It shook my confidence in the brand.

I'll be relying on the community here to provide the update timing and facts needed to get this done.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
479 Posts
I emailed BMW Genus and they noted the the car wouldn't get it due to not having Remote Software Update support (though they incorrectly referenced my car as a 2020 X5 which does have Remote Software Update, but I digress).

I emailed BNW Customer Relations to log a complaint about the update not coming for the MY2020 5-Series.

Definitely soiled my impression of the brand though. If we don't get the update I'll be very ticked off.

I called my service center and the SA didn't even know what I was talking about. I'm not sure he even understood the concept, quite honestly. It shook my confidence in the brand.

I'll be relying on the community here to provide the update timing and facts needed to get this done.
Yikes

·
Registered
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
90 Posts
I emailed BMW Genus and they noted the the car wouldn't get it due to not having Remote Software Update support (though they incorrectly referenced my car as a 2020 X5 which does have Remote Software Update, but I digress).

I emailed BNW Customer Relations to log a complaint about the update not coming for the MY2020 5-Series.

Definitely soiled my impression of the brand though. If we don't get the update I'll be very ticked off.

Yikes
Please let me know how that complaint interaction goes. I'd add my name to that.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts