Bimmerfest BMW banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
So why wasn***8217;t my2020 g30 manufactured with the appropriate hardware for RSU? A marketing decision so that the LCI would have more features?

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
So why wasn't my2020 g30 manufactured with the appropriate hardware for RSU? A marketing decision so that the LCI would have more features?
It confuses me a lot as to why we ended up on this island. Since the LCI came in MY2021 why didn't BMW just wait the extra year and leave the MY2020 5-Series on iDrive 6? They instead created some fork that is unlike anything else they have so they created additional development costs and burden for zero gain.

When I started down this rabbit hole I thought maybe they wanted to eliminate iDrive 6 to position themselves toward the future via RSU across the lines. But then you learn that the 3 series still ships with iDrive 6 as standard so that makes no sense.

Whatever the true answer is we'll likely never know. Our manuals were written a full year before the LCI with this information so it will be a mystery.

Either way, this has really tarnished the brand for me. Unless they make this right in a proper way I'll be back onto Mercedes for my next car. I was frustrated that they took so long to bring MBUX to the C-Class and E-Class, but they never did anything like this. Basically flat out defraud buyers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I hope to have time tomorrow afternoon to start drafting a letter to BMW. Several of the recent posts have some additional substance I wasn't aware of...thanks for sharing. The more documentation the better.

·
Registered
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
90 Posts
Would it be effective to publish a version of it in parallel as an online petition? Enough public signatures could affect how seriously they view it.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
In additional details...

If you, like me, have a 5-Series manufactured between July, 2019-January, 2020 you may (or may not have) noticed that the trunk valet mode switch that is supposed to be in the glove box is missing. BMW has a campaign to fix this, but if you're wondering why this happened? in iDrive 7 this is controlled via iDrive. For the iDrive "lite" cars though this functionality is missing...

Either way, you can get it fixed taking the car in.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10176379-9999.pdf

·
Registered
175 Posts
In additional details...

If you, like me, have a 5-Series manufactured between July, 2019-January, 2020 you may (or may not have) noticed that the trunk valet mode switch that is supposed to be in the glove box is missing. BMW has a campaign to fix this, but if you're wondering why this happened? in iDrive 7 this is controlled via iDrive. For the iDrive "lite" cars though this functionality is missing...

Either way, you can get it fixed taking the car in.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10176379-9999.pdf
Did you have this fix done to your car? It’s something I would hardly use. I am not sure that I would trust the dealer with this repair. They are likely to cause more damage.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
Did you have this fix done to your car? It***8217;s something I would hardly use. I am not sure that I would trust the dealer with this repair. They are likely to cause more damage.
I haven't yet and I'm not sure when or if I will. I refuse to ever let valets drive my cars so it isn't as important of a feature to me.

I shared it in this thread though as it is another piece of proof that something additional is at play here between where iDrive ended up for us on MY2020. As this was removed from the manufacturing process, I am sure, as it was deemed redundant since it would be controlled via iDrive like in other iDrive 7 cars (the "full" ones). Previously, the only suggestions we had was the incorrect wording in the manual. This is proof that manufacturing line tweaks were made so the manual wasn't the only "mistake".

Obviously, this is minor, but we may learn there are other things where potentially we're in some deeper mixed state where we're not fully "SP15" (2017-2019) and not fully "SP18" (2021+). I'm sure this TSB is a result of people going in asking where the switch is, but there are things we can't easily spot.

Either way, the story is much deeper here than they just didn't update a module. Potentially something went wrong in the development of MY2020 and they created this island.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I haven't yet and I'm not sure when or if I will. I refuse to ever let valets drive my cars so it isn't as important of a feature to me.

I shared it in this thread though as it is another piece of proof that something additional is at play here between where iDrive ended up for us on MY2020. As this was removed from the manufacturing process, I am sure, as it was deemed redundant since it would be controlled via iDrive like in other iDrive 7 cars (the "full" ones). Previously, the only suggestions we had was the incorrect wording in the manual. This is proof that manufacturing line tweaks were made so the manual wasn't the only "mistake".

Obviously, this is minor, but we may learn there are other things where potentially we're in some deeper mixed state where we're not fully "SP15" (2017-2019) and not fully "SP18" (2021+). I'm sure this TSB is a result of people going in asking where the switch is, but there are things we can't easily spot.

Either way, the story is much deeper here than they just didn't update a module. Potentially something went wrong in the development of MY2020 and they created this island.
Yes something definitely was amiss with the MY2020. It could be hardware availability or a marketing change. More like some hardware issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would it be effective to publish a version of it in parallel as an online petition? Enough public signatures could affect how seriously they view it.
I noticed you opted for the Dynamic Handling Package. I am wondering if when you press the Comfort driving mode button more than once, is Comfort+ available to you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope to have time tomorrow afternoon to start drafting a letter to BMW. Several of the recent posts have some additional substance I wasn't aware of...thanks for sharing. The more documentation the better.
I can't thank you enough for doing this. It is time to put BMW on notice.

·
Registered
27 Posts

The switch is there on my car. I just checked, my build date is 03/20

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
The switch is there on my car. I just checked, my build date is 03/20
It is present on MY2020 cars built after Feb 1, 2020.

Interestingly enough this is also around the same time frame BMW updated the Remote Software Update page on the ConnectedDrive store to exclude the 5-Series as it became clear the MY2020 cars didn't support RSU.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@ LogicalApex, I am curious, what is your I-Step now? I think I read you took your car in for the software upgrade and you weren't happy with the results? Did I read that right? Do you have AA now? But still no RSU in your settings menu right?

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
@ LogicalApex, I am curious, what is your I-Step now? I think I read you took your car in for the software upgrade and you weren't happy with the results? Did I read that right? Do you have AA now? But still no RSU in your settings menu right?
I have the July Update installed, but I'm not sure how to check the I-Step directly. There are two July Update I-Steps, but I believe I have the latest of them.

I do have AA and CarPlay in HUD, but yes RSU isn't in settings.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the July Update installed, but I'm not sure how to check the I-Step directly. There are two July Update I-Steps, but I believe I have the latest of them.

I do have AA and CarPlay in HUD, but yes RSU isn't in settings.
I can confirm latest July update does not have RSU. It has AA and BMW Cloud.

Funny fact (or not so funny), the classic input to search an address has disappeared. You can only search point of interests... To search an address, you can only use connected app or voice...

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
I can confirm latest July update does not have RSU. It has AA and BMW Cloud.

Funny fact (or not so funny), the classic input to search an address has disappeared. You can only search point of interests... To search an address, you can only use connected app or voice...
You can search an address in the search box where you can enter a POI. Instead of entering it in the classic split out you can just type it in and it will search for it on the right as you type it out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can search an address in the search box where you can enter a POI. Instead of entering it in the classic split out you can just type it in and it will search for it on the right as you type it out.
Ah I see. So they have removed the usual split view. But still... you have to input something like "street, city, country" like in Google maps. Not very clear.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
475 Posts
Ah I see. So they have removed the usual split view. But still... you have to input something like "street, city, country" like in Google maps. Not very clear.
Yeah the changes in Maps in this area don't make a whole lot of sense to me. I was surprised no one who had the update talked about it.

They buried previously easy to access entries like "Previous Destinations" and removed other easy ones like entering GPS Coordinates. But left the space there blank so I'm not sure what they gained.

But less is more I guess :dunno:

·
Registered
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
90 Posts
I noticed you opted for the Dynamic Handling Package. I am wondering if when you press the Comfort driving mode button more than once, is Comfort+ available to you?
There's no Comfort+. It wasn't in my previous car either (which also had the dynamic handling package).

·
Registered
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
90 Posts
141 - 160 of 186 Posts