Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2012 x3, and am trying to update the 'Software support for external devices' is a more current version. Problem is when I go the update site via BMW it asks for the full VIN. I type it in, and I get a prompt telling me that Im fully up-to-date, and nothing else. On the previous software update site you would type in the last 7 digits of your VIN, then it would display the latest software build (BIN) for your vehicle to download. Is there any place to download these BINs? Thank you.

Prod Date 2011-12-01

Attachments

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Checking for S/W Status & available updates

By golly - the web address and process changed since I last checked about 2 months ago! I suppose too many people merely downloaded the bob file without confirming an update was necessary or available.

Better or worse? Who knows?!? :dunno:

dhhelps, Is there a particular bin file you're looking for? I downloaded a couple for my G30 & E84 a while back.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was more of a business decision. Now you must visit the dealer to have something basic like this updated. I find it hard to believe that there aren't any other resources for downloading the update bin.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Minor updates (S/W)

I think it was more of a business decision. Now you must visit the dealer to have something basic like this updated. I find it hard to believe that there aren't any other resources for downloading the update bin.
These bin files were minor communications (cell phone etc) patches updates that IMHO and years of personal experience rarely affected the routine operation of cell phones etc. I suspect that IF one of these minor enhancements were available the file would be available to download to a memory stick for the consumer to install. Sooooo net net it's just a slightly different delivery system. Probably to reduce the very common problem of BMW owners/lease holders downloading a bin file that wasn't necessary and then complaining when it wouldn't install. You could search the forum for those posts if you were interested or had the time.

Of course significant updates for operational software-firmware / safety or engine control systems are NOT safe left in the hands of shadetree mechanics these days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I was looking for the update was the later versions had better functioning 'now playing' info when it came to audio over BT and USB. Mine sometimes just hangs on the album artwork / track listing as the song before it when using USB.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
The reason I was looking for the update was the later versions had better functioning 'now playing' info when it came to audio over BT and USB. Mine sometimes just hangs on the album artwork / track listing as the song before it when using USB.
If you think the installed bin file is NOT the latest, personal message the number to me and I'll be glad to return message a later bin file IF I have one saved and you can see if you can install it on your BMW. Inappropriate bin files will not (USUALLY) install (based on my experience).

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
bin files

PM sent. I've looked high and low across the web and can't find any source for these files.
I've pm'd you a link to a copy of the latest bin for your BMW.

(BUT) It's also 01008 so I don't know if sometime in the future BMW will release / issue anything newer. Maybe a reinstall will help resolve the issues you're experiencing.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts