BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 2014 528xdrive to a friend to make way for an M5. This F10 platform is amazing and I wanted the ultimate version of it. I am the new owner of a 2014 M5 with just 13k miles (low miles for now, I’ll be driving the wheels off of it).

So far I am so happy with the new car and all the extra bells and whistles. It has the Comp package and Executive package along with LED lights.

The best word to describe this car is it’s a “monster!” It does have a tough time finding traction at lower speeds but when it does it’s out of this world. I was going 60mph in 3rd gear with dry roads and still saw dsc working... brutal acceleration.

These M5s seem to be a great value right now and anyone looking to make the upgrade, you’ll be happy you did.

Attachments

·
Casual Fanatic
2,163 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice car, Congrats!

Is the fog lights combined in the head light module or an option for this M5?
Good question, I’m not sure. I think the LEDs were optional in 2014 and then standard for 2015+. I didn’t look into fog lights.

·
Registered
50 Posts
damn so clean !!! enjoy the beast

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
How is it as a daily? That question comes up often - we just don’t have the M5 population here to speak to that.

And congrats with envy!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How is it as a daily? That question comes up often - we just don***8217;t have the M5 population here to speak to that.

And congrats with envy!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I***8217;ve had the car for several days a couple hundred miles, here are my initial impressions.

The DCT transmission is 90% as smooth and comfortable as the 8speed from the 528. At speed there is no difference. When it***8217;s cold and at low speeds sometimes you can tell it***8217;s there. If you aren***8217;t familiar with manual transmissions you might have a longer learning curve to smooth out rough edges.

I***8217;ve driven the SMGIII from an M6 and this DCT is light years better than that and reallly close to a torque converter auto. I thought I would be a diehard 3pedal guy but the paddles are a ton of fun and I like the option of going into auto mode. When the HUD is in M mode and I***8217;m working the paddle shifters it feels like I***8217;m in a video game, in a good way.

I have a 2002 Porsche 911 C4S and my ***8216;14 528 was tuned by aFe. (I know I need to update my signature!) The engine and power in this car is unlimited. 100mph+ is effortless. The car is so solid and comfortable that it can be a little disorienting. It just blows away the other cars.

The exhaust note has gotten some grief but I really like it. It has a mean growl and when you get on it you know it***8217;s the business. I can also enter and leave my neighborhood without apologizing to my neighbors. In Sport+ it sounds like some exhaust baffles open and sounds a little more aggressive. For me the exhaust note is perfect.

The brakes are amazing, and need to be with the speed and weight being tossed around.

I test drove an M5 without the competition pack and ended up buying this one which is a CP car. I was a little nervous if I would like the CP for daily driving but it is great. It feels more communicative without sacrificing ride quality. It***8217;s also not too low that I scrape on anything.

I might still be in the honeymoon phase but every trip in this car is special and exciting. When you push the button you hear the exhaust, it***8217;s the first of several exciting things the car can offer. I enjoy driving around looking at other cars around me and knowing I can blow the doors off of all of them. And doing it in relative anonymity.

This car is at the outer limits of what makes sense for a daily driver. Anyone on this forum would love it, people buying a BMW just for the hood badge probably would think it***8217;s overkill. We***8217;ll see how fast this thing drains my wallet with maintaining it, but I don***8217;t care about that for now.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nice looking car, congrats! What kind of hike in insurance did you experience going from the 4-cylinder to the M5? And what is your mpg difference?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice looking car, congrats! What kind of hike in insurance did you experience going from the 4-cylinder to the M5? And what is your mpg difference?
Insurance did go up, but I can't remember by how much. I don't think it was crazy. MPG is definitely way down. I think my 528 was in the high 20s, maybe even 30. This is in the teens, and I've had a heavy foot. I think 20mpg is about as good as I can hope for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fog lights are not available on M cars. The LED headlights was an upgrade.

Nice car, Congrats!

Is the fog lights combined in the head light module or an option for this M5?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wonderfully accurate description. I feel the same way every time I drive my ***8216;15 M5. Although, I stuck with the 3 pedals. ***x1f913;

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest[/QUOTE]

I've had the car for several days a couple hundred miles, here are my initial impressions.

The DCT transmission is 90% as smooth and comfortable as the 8speed from the 528. At speed there is no difference. When it's cold and at low speeds sometimes you can tell it's there. If you aren't familiar with manual transmissions you might have a longer learning curve to smooth out rough edges.

I've driven the SMGIII from an M6 and this DCT is light years better than that and reallly close to a torque converter auto. I thought I would be a diehard 3pedal guy but the paddles are a ton of fun and I like the option of going into auto mode. When the HUD is in M mode and I'm working the paddle shifters it feels like I'm in a video game, in a good way.

I have a 2002 Porsche 911 C4S and my '14 528 was tuned by aFe. (I know I need to update my signature!) The engine and power in this car is unlimited. 100mph+ is effortless. The car is so solid and comfortable that it can be a little disorienting. It just blows away the other cars.

The exhaust note has gotten some grief but I really like it. It has a mean growl and when you get on it you know it's the business. I can also enter and leave my neighborhood without apologizing to my neighbors. In Sport+ it sounds like some exhaust baffles open and sounds a little more aggressive. For me the exhaust note is perfect.

The brakes are amazing, and need to be with the speed and weight being tossed around.

I test drove an M5 without the competition pack and ended up buying this one which is a CP car. I was a little nervous if I would like the CP for daily driving but it is great. It feels more communicative without sacrificing ride quality. It's also not too low that I scrape on anything.

I might still be in the honeymoon phase but every trip in this car is special and exciting. When you push the button you hear the exhaust, it's the first of several exciting things the car can offer. I enjoy driving around looking at other cars around me and knowing I can blow the doors off of all of them. And doing it in relative anonymity.

This car is at the outer limits of what makes sense for a daily driver. Anyone on this forum would love it, people buying a BMW just for the hood badge probably would think it's overkill. We'll see how fast this thing drains my wallet with maintaining it, but I don't care about that for now.[/QUOTE]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts