BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's a sad day in Austin, TX for me...sold my '03 540 Sport. Between my former '02 530 and my '03 540, I had a little more than 5 years at the helm of an E39. What a great car! Maybe in a few years when times aren't so hard (hopefully) I'll be able to return to Bimmerfest on the F10 board, but until then I'll continue to lurk here.

Thanks to everyone for great tech and mechanical tips. This forum has allowed me to stay on top of all things E39 and helped me diagnose and solve some of the quirky issues unique to this modern classic.

Happy trails.

·
VA makes me miss WA
1,779 Posts
You'll be back. They always come back:angel:

Sorry to see you go. Dont know what it is this week. Do you mind if i ask what kinda deal you got for your sale? Im just kinda curious (no im not thinking of selling) what the market is like out there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked (and owed) $25,000, which is what I ended up selling it for. As far as I can tell, the market for these cars is really strong. Perhaps because they are so rare. I received a ton of calls within a day of listing it on Autotrader, most of them serious, and had a buyer within two weeks...I actually had a firm offer on the first day for $22K, but I thought I would be able to get full price based on its condition and remaining CPO warranty. My patience paid off and boy am I glad I waited...when I was considering trading it, I was offered $17K.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I really need a truck for my business, but I couldn't bring myself to sell my 540. I'll continue to beat up the wifes minivan instead. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow! This is not my experience at all. I've been trying to sell my 2000 540iA and have been regularly reducing the price by $500 but no interest. I'm close to the point where I would put my 2003 540iA sport for sale and keep the older car. This would make me sad though ;-(

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Quitter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch! I forgot to mention that I'll be able to keep ties to my E39 brethren through my 88 year-old Grandmother's '99 528iT. I keep trying to convince her to let me put the M-Aero kit on it and swap out her skinny basket weaves for a set of M-Parallels. She recently got a warning from a police officer for doing 90 in a 70....Awesome.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
LMAO! Well she certainly gets Granny of the Year award in my book! And at least she's doing the right thing by keeping the Bimmer too! ;)

·
Mack Bari
152 Posts
Hey Peter

this is Mack from Sprint, ring a bell? Wow you sold it quick man! I went and checked out the M5 and the mechs gave it a big thumbs down. I had skipped Inspection II and some other head gasket probs and the suspension as in bad shape man.

With the current gas prices I ll stick to the 530i and my work is providing me with a commuter

Sad to see you. Lemme know when u get the G we will meet up. Stay in touch man.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
That's a coinkidink. You're Mack from Sprint and I'm Mack from Verizon. ;) Don't meet too many Mack's around.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
no kidding. with rising gas prices, maybe i should be looking at a 2002 or 2003 530 SP and add the body kit or something.

:-(

·
Mack Bari
152 Posts
That's a coinkidink. You're Mack from Sprint and I'm Mack from Verizon. ;) Don't meet too many Mack's around.
Sup ma brother from an other mother. U r right not many of us Macks around . Nice ride and nice to meet another Mack .. RESPECT :):bigpimp::bigpimp::bigpimp::rofl::D:p:p

·
Mack Bari
152 Posts
Hey Peter

this is Mack from Sprint, ring a bell? Wow you sold it quick man! I went and checked out the M5 and the mechs gave it a big thumbs down. It had skipped Inspection II and some other head gasket probs and the suspension as in bad shape man.

With the current gas prices I ll stick to the 530i and my work is providing me with a commuter

Sad to see you. Lemme know when u get the G we will meet up. Stay in touch man.
Peter

I meant sad too see you go. God know what I was typing ..long friday I guess

·
Registered
50 Posts
Peter - Congrats on the sale. I have the almost exact same car for sale but have had mostly tire kickers (no offense to anyone on the board). I've only listed it on the forum here but it looks like I need to follow your lead and list in on Autotrader. My 30' 540ia M-sport has every factory option, is still CPO'd for another year, and has the certified maintanence for another year. Same color as yours too. If you had anyone else interested in the car before or after you sold it, please pass along their name and I'll sell them mine. Thanks. Steven Plano TX [email protected]

·
Ivan
686 Posts
someone else will enjoy your e39

too bad you have to let it go!!,

good luck for your future return to e39land

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Guys!

Really appreciate all the comments guys.

Mack B, I'm picking up the new car tomorrow at 2P. Will let you know how I like it.

Steven, I'll check with the folks who contacted me and see if they mind if I pass along their info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts