Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
A BMW *****
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting it for sale on cars.com, auto trader, car gurus, craigslist, facebook and two, TWO Coffee and Car shows, I had one half-assed hit.

I had left it on the weekends across from a Starbucks. Left it for the last month at Bavarian Machines here in Houston.

So, today, I picked it up, drove it over to Advantage Midtown and got $9,000 for it. Someone, whoever it is, is going to get a really great ride. A new windshield, a new front bumper and that's it. Everything else has been gone through with a fine tooth comb by me at a cost of over $16,000 over the last 2 years. The suspension, all of it, was rebuilt. Entire brake system was upgraded, all fluids had been flushed at least twice including the transmission. Cooling hoses all replaced. All gaskets with plugs done 18 months ago. KW V3's.

The only mod, if you want to call it that is a Sprint Booster still on the car. Never needed more power. It ran strong at 90-110. That was it's sweet spot. A little gas and she'd hunker down and give you more. And could it track with those Conti Extreme Contacts.

If the new owner sees this some day, be good to her. She's earned it.

B.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Wow what a steal. That's what I payed for mine no where near the condition yours is in, plus you're is a 650i not a 45! Truly one of the nicest builds on the forums Bruce. Always enjoyed reading your posts /viewing your work. Hope life continues to treat you well and hope you stop by once in a while to post your new rides!

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Someone is going to be getting a great car. It's sad that they depreciated so much, but they are needy and getting old, so they're near the bottom of the value curve.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
I put $7k into a twelve year old, 100k+ mile M3 over twelve months. Then I sold it 5k miles and four months later. It was still a great car, but one I didn't have a use or the storage space for. It was too nice of a car to be a beater, attracting too much attention from the wrong kind of people. It was too old and had too many miles to be a reliable road trip car. The only thing it was good for was Sunday morning drives and going to car meet's. My new, road trip worthy BMW arrived and it was time for the old one to go. I got $9500 for it, slightly over KBB, on BMWCCA's website classified ads. The car sold in twelve hours. I then had another 200 to 300 inquiries.

Big BMW's are a hard sell when they're old. Fewer people wanted those cars when they were new. So, fewer people want them when they're old. BMW V8's have a bad reputation, and that hurts their value when used.

The lesson I got from that M3 was drive BMW's to somewhere around 100k miles and then part with them. I have six people on the waiting list for my 535i, including the guy who bought my M3. We'll see how many of them are still interested when the time comes.

The other lesson is that I need a bigger garage. I'm working on that. I currently have a cramped "1.75-car" garage and a rented u-store-it five miles from my house, rotating my BMW and my beater. Our new house will have a three-car attached garage with a lift, and a one-car detached garage. So, that's five cars I can keep safe and protected from the elements.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
Wow what a steal. That's what I payed for mine no where near the condition yours is in, plus you're is a 650i not a 45! Truly one of the nicest builds on the forums Bruce. Always enjoyed reading your posts /viewing your work. Hope life continues to treat you well and hope you stop by once in a while to post your new rides!
+1

You must feel great knowing that you literally WASTED your money over the last two years for NO reason. What a great story you shared. Not.
How is it wasted money when it was spent on something he enjoyed, unless the car is a very rare new car or a classic that will increase in value then every vehicle is a money pit that you will spend out on and never see that money back. There's always a ratio between money spent on something you like and something you don't, when that ratio becomes unacceptable then it's time to move on.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You must feel great knowing that you literally WASTED your money over the last two years for NO reason. What a great story you shared. Not.
If you have nothing to add, just don't post. Helpful NOT!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I understand your grumpiness after seeing you have a N62 AND N63 :rofl:

·
Registered
17 Posts
We all know the deal with V8 BMWs

I bought a 2001 e38 740il years ago with 51k on the odometer. I don't think the oil was ever changed. When I dropped the oil pan there was about 3 pounds of sludge in it. The only thing that saved the engine was the 8 quart sump, and what I discovered while tearing the engine apart; some darn good engineering. Of course I put money into it, but it had 175k on the odometer when I traded it in (along with the locomotive smoke coming out of the tail pipes). Always loved the look of the e63, and I knew what was involved with BMW V8s. If you want a super car for a fantastic price, can do your own maintenance, and aren't intimidated by the technology, then it is hard to beat a 650i. To make these worthwhile, you have to get some good use and mileage out of them, because you're not going to make any money selling it, or trading it in.

·
Registered
516 Posts
+1

unless the car is a very rare new car or a classic that will increase in value
When I purchased my 08 650, 4 1/2 years ago, I had spent about 6 months looking for an 06 or newer 911... The 911's were all 35K and up... Been looking online lately and they are still in that price range or even a little higher...

Wish I would have known how worthless a car that sold for 96K new in 08 is now...

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
When I purchased my 08 650, 4 1/2 years ago, I had spent about 6 months looking for an 06 or newer 911... The 911's were all 35K and up... Been looking online lately and they are still in that price range or even a little higher...

Wish I would have known how worthless a car that sold for 96K new in 08 is now...

I did the same and was looking at the 911. I’m happy with my choice of the 650. It cost me 18k for a mint car as opposed to 50k. I also have a Boxster so for me anyway that’s a better car than the 911. I drove over 40 variants of the 911 in 997 form and only ever liked the turbo.

I reckon my car is worth 12k now, it’s still a low mileage car and still mint. I mean showroom fresh kind of mint.

Regardless, any car is essentially a money pit. The more expensive ones just cost more to run and you have to maintain them on a much more frequent basis. My father had some pretty awesome cars, the real special 300k+ stuff today, and he spent a fortune. Ended up walking away flat and that was pretty good.

So OP, I think given the enjoyment you had plus your cost per year for ownership of a really nice car, you actually did very well!!

Never seen a red one either. In the UK a blue one is unusual. They all seem to be black, grey or silver! Lovely car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's never a waste of money, especially when you do this as a hobby / passion / career. It's no different than spending all you money going out to eat, drinking, etc. It's an experience in exchange for time and money. I prefer cars because at the end of the day I can still sell the car and make some money back

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Agree on not a waste of money.
I’ve been spending some $$$ replacing parts on the e46 I bought new. It’s an old car that’s not worth much, but it’s a keeper and it’s satisfying to see it run like a champ at 16 years old.
A couple of years ago I was confronted with the loss of garage space after selling one of our houses, the one with the biggest garage. Selling the house was a good financial decision but I had to figure out what to do with at least one of my garage queens. I ended up moving the 650 to France at my parents’ house so I could hang on to it and drive it when I am there. It was a gamble but I was able to get it registered there. Cost was a little over $3k. Some here said I should buy a car over there but mine is special to me (loaded with pricey and rare options, low miles, stick shift, 9 years of ownership, impeccable maintenance). I can’t replace it and I probably would have spent more fixing a basket case. I had it listed for sale before the move, I’m glad I did what I did.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
516 Posts

After re reading my comment I would change "worthless" to "valueless"... I enjoy the car, just surprised at the low value it has attained.. Guess it is due to me following "Porsche 911" prices... I add 911 specifically, due to watching 928 and boxsters ( the girl model) drop to almost nothing in value...

If you haven't watched the "two and a half men" episode where Allan borrows money from his mom and buys the "girl model Porsche", you gotta watch it... Funniest ever..

·
Registered
258 Posts
After re reading my comment I would change "worthless" to "valueless"... I enjoy the car, just surprised at the low value it has attained.. Guess it is due to me following "Porsche 911" prices... I add 911 specifically, due to watching 928 and boxsters ( the girl model) drop to almost nothing in value...

If you haven't watched the "two and a half men" episode where Allan borrows money from his mom and buys the "girl model Porsche", you gotta watch it... Funniest ever..

Ha ha! Yes I saw that years ago, I’m also guessing you’ve never driven one

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ha ha! Yes I saw that years ago, I’m also guessing you’ve never driven one
Yes, 3 different boxsters… I had a friend who was buying them and after driving them a while he would sell them.... He didn't pay over 10 grand for any of them.... . Nothing wrong with the boxster, but it suffers from horrible value drop also..

I saw this happen to the 928 Porsche also....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts