BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

SOLVED!!! [1999 323ci convertible] a/c blows super lightly in cabin BLOWER FAN WORKS AND IS SPINNING

1092 Views 15 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Lvfb
So my e36 has cold air and the blower fan that is located under the windshield wipers spins fast and without sound but I have almost no power at all with settings on max. Any ideas?

Also I already ripped cabin filter out and no change in pressure

The blower fan works because I bought a replacement and once I got the cover off and could see it I turned car on aux and it spins super fast.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Probably have one of the air directing flaps partially closed. Royal pain to get to. :(
Are those the 2 plastic pieces that are on the left and right side of the blower motor?
No, inside the air box the blower pushes air into, there are a couple of flap sets to direct air to the different vent sets. If a flap set hangs up in between positions the air flow is partially blocked.
Are those the 2 plastic pieces that are on the left and right side of the blower motor?
Reactions: Lvfb
🤔 what keywords could I search youtube to see a video of a replacing "x" so I can try and fix it?
Try "blend door".
🤔 what keywords could I search youtube to see a video of a replacing "x" so I can try and fix it?
Thank you sir. I'll report back my findings
Is this the blend door actuator?

Attachments

Awesome! Now all I gotta do is find a new replacement. Tried looking online but only found what I imagine was the non convertible version
Was suggested to try deoxit d5 spray on the wire that goes into the actuator (letting the spray sit for like 10 min before connecting it back together) and crazy enough it actually worked! Didnt look like I had any grim or gunk on it but now I have normal ac features again and can change from windshield, face, and feet options!

Can was like 20 ish bux from amazon
Reactions: dc_wright
Was suggested to try deoxit d5 spray on the wire that goes into the actuator (letting the spray sit for like 10 min before connecting it back together) and crazy enough it actually worked! Didnt look like I had any grim or gunk on it but now I have normal ac features again and can change from windshield, face, and feet options!

Reactions: dc_wright
Nice fix! It's possible to get some insulating corrosion on gold plated contacts in low power circuits. (It's called polymerization or sometimes fretting wear.) It's not visible to the naked eye, but can be enough to inhibit circuit operation.

interesting... gonna have to check this out. i am still in shock that this actually worked. ive been working on cars for about 10 to 15 years (not professionally more hobby/ cause im poor) and ive never had such an easy fix actually work. i highly req that everyone buy some of this stuff!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.