BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The E39, AFAIK, does not have an EGR valve. It uses valve timing to effect EGR control.
No egr indeed. And double vanos was only introduced on the N62 engine. M62TU only has intake vanos.

Fwiw; my e70 cuts out cruise control when some dsc issue arises. Discrepancy in wheel speed at some corner. It does not require much, im not talking donuts in the parking lot or so. So chasing down the whole dsc system makes somewhat sense to me.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,935 Posts
Also excessive yaw rate / transverse acceleration will defeat cruise control. The numbers are around in DSC description.. The detector is under the passenger carpet.

B9801
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...rical-transducers/b9801-dsc-sensor/1VnXvJZi3E

E70 Longitudinal Dynamics Systems said:
Extended functions of the DCC compared to a conventional cruise control system:
>>Active brake intervention to realize the set speed also when driving downhill
>>Curve Speed Limiter (CLS) - adaptation of driving speed when cornering (transverse acceleration).

This function limits the maximum transverse acceleration dependent on vehicle speed with the aim of achieving the greatest possible agility in DCC mode. Driving on winding country roads in a speed range from > 50 km/h / 31mph to < 120 km/h / 74mph is controlled with a value of 3.3 - 3.7 m/s2. The value can increase up to 4.5 m/s for fast highway bends and slow lane changes at speeds between < 50 km/h / 31mph and > 120 km/h / 74mph

·
almost not broken maybe
2000 540i 6 ~250k. 92 corolla ~290k
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well i haven't been doing any gymkana with the cruise active so i doubt its cornering rate, anyone know how I can identify the dif? I didn't see any markings on underside

·
almost not broken maybe
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So yesterday I installed the front wheel speed sensors without much drama, however the cruise is still not working so I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the differential at this point. The shop that ordered/installed the diff is trying to find out for sure (no tag on top) but after searching specifically for issues related to dif swap cruise issues my symptoms match perfectly. I have done some PMs here and elsewhere to people who were trying to solve issues long ago but does anyone know anything about how to program an issue like this out? FYI dtw to answer your question, the original differential failed late last year when the pinion seal went allowing the pinion to rub on the housing and all the oil to puke out, I limped it the rest of the way to work where it sat for 7 months while I saved up for the repair. Didn't seem worth rebuilding a 250k miles dif at the time. Wish I had :(

·
almost not broken maybe
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just spun the wheel and counted driveshaft revs, got the exact 3.15 ratio of an automatic trans dif.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
You just found your problem. Your 6 speed diff ratio was 2.81.
I had the same problem when I put an M5 diff in my 540.
I had a friend reprogram my DME, my cc now works fine.

·
almost not broken maybe
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How much does that sort of thing cost? How hard was it for your friend to do this?

·
almost not broken maybe
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
bumping the thread, updated the first post now that it has been pinpointed to the differential. Still looking for a solution

·
almost not broken maybe
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just to close out the saga, i sent out my ECU to DUDMD tuning (found on bimmerworld forum) and they reprogrammed it. Cruise works as it should now and i had some other things done to the ecu as well. I would definitely recommend this option for anyone considering a dif swap. Especially if you can afford a few days without the car as it will be without the ecu for however long shipping takes.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Just to close out the saga, i sent out my ECU to DUDMD tuning (found on bimmerworld forum) and they reprogrammed it. Cruise works as it should now and i had some other things done to the ecu as well. I would definitely recommend this option for anyone considering a dif swap. Especially if you can afford a few days without the car as it will be without the ecu for however long shipping takes.
They are the best, I stopped by yesterday to say "hello" and pet their doberman Zeus....they were swamped with cars and even one running on the dyno. I got outta their hair and will be back another time. :)

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Good to hear you got the CC fixed. What does DUDMD charge? I had a friend do mine and my spare DME. He didn’t ask for any $$ but I sent him $100 for his efforts.

The reason the CC doesn‘t work reliably is the +/- speed window the DME uses to compare the road speed with the engine RPM is right on the edge (using the 3.15 diff) of the DME thinking the clutch is slipping so it kills the cruise.
This is a safety feature if you had a slipping clutch, it would get smoked as the RPM would continue to climb to maintain road speed.

·
almost not broken maybe
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good to hear you got the CC fixed. What does DUDMD charge? I had a friend do mine and my spare DME. He didn't ask for any $$ but I sent him $100 for his efforts.
The cruise alone would have been $150. I spent about $350 to have a tune and they just include the cruise with that. I'm on the other side of the country so shipping was $50 or $60 to send. Not cheap per se but worth it for sure.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts