swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried everything under the sun:
- Dealer installed high friction tape
- Clean seals and apply carbaflo
- Clean seals and apply gummiflege
- etc...

Out of frustration, I applied some Dupont Silicone-Free Teflon spray lubricant behind and around the seals. The seals are now tomb silent! I've been all over broken pavement for a week hoping to hear a pop or creak and NOTHING.

Teflon shouldnt degrade the rubber or attract dirt like Silicone, so I believe this may be a great solution. I may have to reapply at some point, but this works 100%.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I applied some Dupont Silicone-Free Teflon spray lubricant behind and around the seals.
What does 'behind and around' mean? Did you remove the seals from the door frame, apply the lube, and then reinstall? Pics with some graphics on them would help.

Thanks,
Kent

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does 'behind and around' mean? Did you remove the seals from the door frame, apply the lube, and then reinstall? Pics with some graphics on them would help.

Thanks,
Kent
Kent, I have virtually not computer skill so while I could take photos, I couldnt manipulate them in the slightest. I just pulled the seals away from the metal and applied behind the rubber seal and between the rubber seal and flocked seal.

·
'00 540i Sport
202 Posts
Where did you get the Dupont Silicone-Free Teflon spray lubricant?

·
Registered
34 Posts
LA, thanks for the description. I'll have to take a closer look at my seals to fully understand what you're talking about.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I used Dupont Teflon wipes to do the same thing and they worked great for this-trouble is none of the auto parts stores carry the product any more-have been using wd 40 with good results but would like to use the teflon your referring too-where can we buy it.
Poolman

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used Dupont Teflon wipes to do the same thing and they worked great for this-trouble is none of the auto parts stores carry the product any more-have been using wd 40 with good results but would like to use the teflon your referring too-where can we buy it.
Poolman
Lowes sells Dupont Teflon lubricant. Dont use WD40 on rubber molding as it degrades the rubber and attracts dirt.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
You know the term "Squeeky Clean"? That is the problem.

I wax around the seal, buff if off, the seals are now very sleapery, the the squeek is gone.

Just wax it, and buff it off.

·
Registered
954 Posts
For a more permanent solution, try Teflon tape around the door frame. One roll will do 7 E39 sedans, but if anyone wants some, I can cut off the required length and send it for the cost of the portion used +shipping. It was $175, so no free samples this time.

The tape is not visible with the doors closed, and totally acceptable with the doors open. I did not like the idea of applying anything to the car, but since each new iteration of updated door seals failed to cure the problem, this was the only option.

It's only been a couple weeks, but I'm confident this is the best solution in the long run, as it's not something to trap dirt or degrade like the door seal.

It's 3M 5425 available under BMW p/n 83 19 9 407 798

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What's the big deal about seals? Just tell the dealer to lube 'em... :dunno:

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
121 Posts
Related question:

Where exactly, should any of these different lubricants go? I've convered every single rubber part on the doors and I still get squeaks. My car has outer seals with a felt-like surface on them so I don't put anything on those.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Related question:

Where exactly, should any of these different lubricants go? I've convered every single rubber part on the doors and I still get squeaks. My car has outer seals with a felt-like surface on them so I don't put anything on those.
It's where the little vertical portion of the felt-like surface of the door seal makes contact with the car body.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For a more permanent solution, try Teflon tape around the door frame. One roll will do 7 E39 sedans, but if anyone wants some, I can cut off the required length and send it for the cost of the portion used +shipping. It was $175, so no free samples this time.

The tape is not visible with the doors closed, and totally acceptable with the doors open. I did not like the idea of applying anything to the car, but since each new iteration of updated door seals failed to cure the problem, this was the only option.

It's only been a couple weeks, but I'm confident this is the best solution in the long run, as it's not something to trap dirt or degrade like the door seal.

It's 3M 5425 available under BMW p/n 83 19 9 407 798
Is there a TSB that shows how to install this BMW p/n? Or do you have a DIY?

Kent

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great Tip...totally works.

I had the dreaded creaking from both the driver and passenger side doors on my 03 540, so after reading this post, I ran out to Lowe's and picked up a can of Dupont Teflon Spray Lubricant for $4.85. Sprayed along the flocked trim on top of the window frame as well as on and under the rubber seals on the door and body...instant fix. Will see how long it lasts, but easy and quick solution. Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had the dreaded creaking from both the driver and passenger side doors on my 03 540, so after reading this post, I ran out to Lowe's and picked up a can of Dupont Teflon Spray Lubricant for $4.85. Sprayed along the flocked trim on top of the window frame as well as on and under the rubber seals on the door and body...instant fix. Will see how long it lasts, but easy and quick solution. Thanks!
Damn if my wagon didn't just start creaking last week. I was sure it was because my wife borrowed it last week, that or because it just hit 50K miles...............:dunno:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts