BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was changing the air filters on my just-out-of-warranty 2018 X5 35i. I noticed what feels like hardened and rough paper wrapped around one of the tubes going into an assembly just behind the engine. I've had the car for about a year. Never noticed this before, and I can't see anything like this on any of the other tubes.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? I've recently started noticing a whistling sound coming from the engine bay when I lift my foot off the accelerator (pretty sure it isn't just the side mirrors). Haven't taken it to a shop yet because the car seems to be driving just fine otherwise. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the paper, though.

Also I'm curious to learn; What are these tubes for and what is this assembly called? Quick Googling didn't yield any results.

Thanks!

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive design

Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

· Registered
13,635 Posts
I have the V8 so I have no clue as to what they are. But if you look real close…see if the 11 digit or last 7 digit BMW part number is visible. That way you can go to one of the online part database sites (like realoem.com or bimmercat.com) and enter the number to find out what it is.

Good luck.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip! I'll look for the part number tomorrow.

However, my main question is regarding the white paper tape wrapped around the tube. It feels a lot like Teflon tape, but harder and rougher. I'm considering pulling it off, but I'm concerned it could be covering up some previous damage to the tube.

I was hoping someone would know if this type of tape is commonly used on these tubes, or if it is more of a hackey fix by the previous owner.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
You're OK. I just checked our '15 F15 X5 & we have the same tape there. I grabbed one & it came right off. Looks like a white cloth type tape, sort of like the J&J Water Proof Tape Dr's. Use to use. I can only assume it's for location or wire loom identification when assembling the cars.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're OK. I just checked our '15 F15 X5 & we have the same tape there. I grabbed one & it came right off. Looks like a white cloth type tape, sort of like the J&J Water Proof Tape Dr's. Use to use. I can only assume it's for location or wire loom identification when assembling the cars.
Great! Thank you for checking and responding!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.