BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at buyin a 540i 6 speed and just leaving it stock (besides a 75 shot nitrous kit), its either that or an audi s4 with a chip and i have a few questions

are there any particular issues i should look for? any particular years better/stronger?
should i worry about buying one with 100K miles or should i stick to lower milage ones (60K)?
how strong are they? i'm used to mustangs that can be beat on and would hate ($$) to break it!
what HP can the gearbox and rear ends take?
how reliable generally?

anyone have any experience with 540i's vs. audi s4's ?? :)

thanks guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so far i see potential problems with:

radiator (usually at 80K)
water pump (same)

cup holder
possible dash issues

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Window regulators
O2 sensors
Cam Position Sensors
MAF Sensor
Radiators last 40-50K

IMHO i wouldn't get an Audi. Just look at the depreciation on those cars. With the 540 you'll have plenty of power with luxury and still be able to sell it in the future. I personally have a 540i6 and i love it. Mind you i came from driving a 93 RX7 twin turbo, and i still love my 540's power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks buddy!

definately leanin towards the 540 6, i love v8's....

doesn't seem like any way to predict or prevent any of those things from going bad? i guess if the maf or 02 sensors went bad it would probably still drive but trigger a pretty nasty engine code.

have you broken yours at all since you've had it? ie: gear box, differential, axles...

how many miles on yours?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems like the 97-98 cars may be faster due to larger maf/intake manifold/throttle body also

maybe i'm right or am i wrong??

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
As for the earlier models being faster, even if they were we are talking very minimal difference. The way i look at it BMW redesigned the manifold for some reason and to think they did a redesign to an engine that lowered hp gains seems ridiculous especially when new technology is always advancing the performance in cars today.

I have 122K on my car and i haven't had to replace anything that you have listed. I have replaced a regulator and cam position sensors. I have to admit i did pull the engine out b/c i had sludge buildup from the previous owner not ever changing the oil. Once i cleaend the engine out and put it back together its as good as new.

I forgot to mention that the crankcase ventilation system goes out to, but thats a $75 repair that most can do themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks socal! these forums save soo many people so much time and money! this would be my first bmw, so want to make sure i'm goin in with my eyes open.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
958 Posts
SoCaLE39 said:
Window regulators
O2 sensors
Cam Position Sensors
MAF Sensor
Radiators last 40-50K

IMHO i wouldn't get an Audi. Just look at the depreciation on those cars. With the 540 you'll have plenty of power with luxury and still be able to sell it in the future. I personally have a 540i6 and i love it. Mind you i came from driving a 93 RX7 twin turbo, and i still love my 540's power.
Hey, me too....but I went to a 91 M5 then the 98 740iL....just need to S/C now ;)

·
Registered
958 Posts
neverstop said:
seems like the 97-98 cars may be faster due to larger maf/intake manifold/throttle body also

maybe i'm right or am i wrong??
Agreed.....look at S/C'd 97-98 cars vs 99and up VANOS cars.....the non VANOS cars get more hp due the bigger runners, etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts