BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Some Assistance, please

1826 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  dunderhi
I took this picture on a very cool 8 series. I'd like to co-op the look for my 550. I've searched high and low on the wheel web pages - and I cannot find it. Anyone know who makes these and/or where they can be purchased? OEM?

Many thanks, in advance.

(PS - I've seen "similar" wheels on various sites, but they aren't exactly alike. I'd like this one specifically).

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
That is a 356 wheel. It is BMW OEM. Typically $2500 for a set. Cheaper used in the classifieds from time to time. Watch the forum classifieds.

It's a heavy wheel though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-F10...ies&hash=item35beddd79b&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1196
I took this picture on a very cool 8 series. I'd like to co-op the look for my 550. I've searched high and low on the wheel web pages - and I cannot find it. Anyone know who makes these and/or where they can be purchased? OEM?

Many thanks, in advance.

(PS - I've seen "similar" wheels on various sites, but they aren't exactly alike. I'd like this one specifically).
You, Sir, are good. Nay - you, Sir, are awesome.

Many thanks!
They come stock on the NON M-Sport F12/13 20" wheel package. Ask around in that forum. Might be someone looking to sell in favor of a 19" wheel or just to change it up.

I think saw someone looking to sell or trade those a few months back
For non BMW OEM wheels like from bavarian, it comes with their logo in the center. Can those be replaced with the BMW ones from my wheels or am I stuck with the logo of the mfr?
Not 100% sure but most wheels have replaceable logo centres that just pop off so you can put your OEM centre cap in the hole.
What's the issue with a heavy rim? The whole car is heavy. What's the big deal? Also, will this rim work on my 550 xi?
Actually, you are right. 650.
It will work on your car.

There are two problems with a heavy rim:
1) It makes the wheel less bouncy which means the suspension won't be as effective which in turn means ride quality will suffer.
2) It will also increase parasitic power loss between the engine and the road - although this effect is likely trivial on your car.
What's the issue with a heavy rim? The whole car is heavy. What's the big deal? Also, will this rim work on my 550 xi?
What rim set up do you suggest?
The BMW Style 356 wheels weigh over 34lbs and the stock MSports weigh almost 33lbs. I went with 20.5lb BBS RGRs which are the lightest that I've seen on any F10. They have an old-school look, but I've had zero durability issues. Lightening up the wheels will also provide more road feel and better handling. Stiffer springs, lighter wheels, and sticky non-RFT Summer tires will transform the way your F10 handles, much like what Dinan did for your straight line acceleration. :thumbup:

BTW, my Winter wheels only weigh 19lbs, which help this heavy F10 dance year-round. :sabrina:
How much are you willing to spend on the rims? :bling:
What rim set up do you suggest?
Probably around $3k range. I've got other things to pay for around here.
My advice is stick with what you have and keep an eye out on the classifieds for a good deal.

Wheels are a waste of money. Better ones are very expensive (e.g 5-6k) and cheap ones are either heavy or ugly.
Probably around $3k range. I've got other things to pay for around here.
At $750/wheel, I would go with the BBS CH-R. It is a Greman-made pressure cast with a flow-formed rim and spoke milling, so that is about the best you can get under $1k/wheel. Dinan sells this model for the 3 Series (they went with $1600 HRE wheels for the 5). The 19" weighs in at 25.2lbs and the 20" at 27.6lbs. There are some cheaper Asian produced rims that are lighter, but they wouldn't be my first choice. Going lighter is good, but beware of any pressure or gravity cast rims that are much lighter than these, since reliability would be suspect in my book. Good luck. :thumbup:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.