BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an 01 740i sport and will be lookin for a newer 745. What is the safest year to go with when looking for a 745? Every dealer I have been to has warned me about 02's and 03's so I am assuming the 04's and 05's are a bit more reliable. What have you guys found out with these cars, Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
768 Posts
some have lots of problems with 02's and 03's - some have none, others have little. but generally newer models should have less problems

·
Wilassasin
2,614 Posts
I have an 05, no real issues has been great since day one...did have to change the alternator, nav unit & amp but all under warranty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I expect alternators in any bimmers. I had an X5 4.8is and just replaced the alternator before I sold it, bought my 740i, within a week alternator went bad.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Go for 05 and up and like OP said some have problems some have none. With the 7 you need to have a warranty or willing to spend some serious $$ if things go wrong. Good Luck

·
Registered
460 Posts
If buying today, I would go with the "newest you can afford" mantra. BUT, just for the record, my 02 has been one of the best, problem free cars I've ever owned! Aside from regular maintenance, very little has gone wrong with my Li :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Get facelifted 750 if you can. I have an 06 and love it

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
04 and up is the way to go. :thumbup: sport package is a must.

·
02 745Li-Blk Saphire/Tan
737 Posts
Diz,

+1 on the 460L... That will be my next one or a Fying Spur depending on how business goes next year....

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The 460L is nice, but a bit boring. My father who's 66 drives one and buys one every year. It's very comfortable with no handling or real acceleration to speak of. At least not in comparison to the 7. Yes it has a bigger engine, makes no difference. Personally, I'm picking up a Panamera in a few years (a used one) - drove it, loved it, love the styling, can't afford it yet...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Lexus - boring but reliable - Audi and BMW are the options I'd personally choose :)rolleyes:who cares) based on a German performance and perhaps Bentley if the price was right. Why I even mention such in this thread is that BMW and Lexus vehicles cater to different groups and I wouldn't expect most BMW enthusiasts to be interested in a Lexus or visa-versa...not a bad car just different buyers and expectations.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Get a 750, otherwise you'll have the weephole issue with the 745i

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The 460L is nice, but a bit boring. My father who's 66 drives one and buys one every year. It's very comfortable with no handling or real acceleration to speak of. At least not in comparison to the 7. Yes it has a bigger engine, makes no difference. Personally, I'm picking up a Panamera in a few years (a used one) - drove it, loved it, love the styling, can't afford it yet...
actually ls460 accelerates to 0-60 in right around 5.5 seconds which is even slightly faster than a 760:eeps:

Get a 750, otherwise you'll have the weephole issue with the 745i
i'm still not convinced. can anyone confirm this?? paging bmw_tech. both the 745 and 750 have the identical cooling system. posted these links before. guess nobody saw them.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GN63&mospid=47785&btnr=11_3275&hg=11&fg=35
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HN83&mospid=48479&btnr=11_3275&hg=11&fg=35

it just may be that we haven't seen this problem in 750's cause they are newer and the O ring has not had sufficient time to corrode. hopefully the designers realized the problem in the 745 and made the coolant pipe/O ring more easily accessible in the 750 :dunno:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts