Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I am a new member, with a new (to me) BMW, and a number of the previous owners issues (like many here).

I purchased a 2004 ...... wait for it..... 745I N62B44A :yikes::yikes::yikes: as my first personal vehicle (ive shared for years, but never enjoyed my own). I know, from reading a few different forums, that this seems to be the most hated of all, except maybe the 2003 version. However, I must have my Bimmer!

My first issue I need to tackle is a strange one. When turning off the car, removing the fob, and locking the doors, my center console "seat adjustment" lights remain on, my "start/stop" button does aswell, and occasionally all the buttons on my stearing wheel do aswell. Even after waiting 16+ minutes (suggestion from a forum post)

To me this seems like a short somewhere, or possibly an issue with the ignition switch/power button module.... but thought I would reach out here before i just go ripping apart the dash and replacing things. (This will be a DIY car as much as possible, also a first for me).

I searched the forums and found similar posts that suggest a faulty alternator (i dont understand how this could keep power going without the fob) or possibly even fuses (again, blown fuse = no power.......) ,battery registration was also suggested in a forum post, mine is aftermarket from previous owner, so no idea if it was ever registered properly. I wasn't ready to do every one of these things "trial and error" style, so here i am for advice :)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
not that familiar with the 2004 but do you have comfort access? If yes are you checking the car with the key in pocket? If yes that could re-awaken it.

If you don't, there is a module keeping the car on and preventing sleep. Be careful as this can drain the battery flat if there is a large parasitic drain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
not that familiar with the 2004 but do you have comfort access? If yes are you checking the car with the key in pocket? If yes that could re-awaken it.

If you don't, there is a module keeping the car on and preventing sleep. Be careful as this can drain the battery flat if there is a large parasitic drain.
Yes, I believe I have the "comfort access" option, however I definitely have the power drain issue you've mentioned.

I have charged my battery twice this week (luckily I work at a local auto part recycling yard, JUST matching stock numbers lol) , after a successful load test, and have tried checking the vehicle hours after use, with the key a good distance away in my house.

I guess what I'm after is any advice as to what could be the cause of the "parasitic drain" , and possibly an explanation as to how anything could remain on without the key in?

<edit>
I have purchased an official BMW battery, and a K-DCAN cable to properly register it. Once making the swap and properly registering the battery all is now well! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts