BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I have an E39 525i automatic, made in 2001. I was checking something in the hidden menu in the instrument cluster. I was checking the voltage value. Then I exited the hidden menu. Since then my speedometer and L/100 km consumption gauges are not working. If I go back to the hidden menu and run test nr. 02 then all my gauges and lights are moving during the test. I already tried resetting the OCB at test nr. 21. Not helped.

Can you help me what's wrong? Those 2 gauges worked perfectly fine before I entered in the hidden menu.

Thank you for your help in advance!

·
Registered
15,903 Posts
Try resetting the car. Ensure the battery is fully charged.

Wake the car up (open the boot) and let it go to sleep (16 min). Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and let the car set for an hour or so. Reconnect, and observe the results.

Report back.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Yes, you need a code reader, I have a Creator c110, it is just a basic reader but it works ok. No fuel adaptation values as far as I know what it shows me codes, also if a headrest motor has problems, and I can erase codes. Resetting oil service I do with shortening two pins in the engine bay but you say you dont have that port so you can probably reset it using the cluster.
If speedo is not working is normally a problem with your left rear speed sensor, maybe take the wheel off and check the insulation on the cable, it tends to deteriorate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its just weird, that these two gauges, speedo and L/100km stopped working after I entered in the hidden menu to check something. I will order a code reader but I still dont know if I need a passthrough adapter or not :) But if you have an 528i and you are using that Creator C110, I assume these kind of readers will also work for my 525i as well.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I use the port in the engine compartment so I needed an adapter cable, you dont need that cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.