BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had a look through the forums and haven't found the solution to one of my problems... I've seen a DIY solution to another problem but I'd prefer not to do that myself!

Anyway... first problem. I have a 98 E39 528i SE Auto and I was messing around with that onboard test thing. I held down the reset counter button and turned the key to get the "Test" displayed.

I went to test 1.2 and then held down the reset button which appeared to just send the test back to the beginning of the test mode.

I didn't want to mess around too much so didn't do anything else but when I started driving... I noticed that my aircon temperature has changed from Centigrade to Farenheit!!! I'm in the UK so Farenheit means nothing to me!!

Anyone know how to turn that back and kind enough to tell me?

Second problem I have is that infamous float sticking problem... the fuel float is stuck completely and all my display is showing is 0 fuel. That also means the miles remaining display doesn't work.

Is there anything I can do (any additive or something) to free this up or do I have to get it replaced?

I've seen the DIY

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313328

But I don't feel confident enough to do this myself.

Anyone know of anyone in London that can help me? (Preferably East London!).

Also; how much it would cost to repair?

Thanks for your time! :angel:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well thanks for all the help everyone! You've all been so helpful to me. Thanks!

To people who may have the problems I had in the UK. Here's your answer:

I found a BMW used parts company that sold me a fuel pump with float and a sender for £60, got it fitted for £30. £90 total cost of repair for the fuel gauge.

As for the fahrenheit / celius display issue; Hold down the reset button with car off. Turn to ignition point 1 (before you start the car). Test will show up. Keep holding the reset button and test will disappear. Keep holding the button and turn ignition off. Let go of button. Now the display will change from Fahrenheit to Celsius or vice versa.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts