Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

When "Leatheriquing" a 2000 328CI (that I just got a week ago) today, it appeared to me that some parts of the seats that otherwise appear to be leather are perhaps vinyl/leatherette. Areas I'm suspicious of include the vertical panels on the sides of the seats (the backs and the pan). These areas are a bit cooler than the surrounding panels, and have a somewhat different grain/texture.

I'm prepared to accept that they're actually leather and that what I'm feeling is normal grain variation coupled with the fact that these are panels that are rarely, if ever, touched/used/flexed, but I wanted to find out if anyone here knows for sure if there are some leatherette panels in an otherwise leather-equipped (PP) e46 with standard seats.

Thank you very much!
Bruce

·
Registered
8 Posts
The back and sides are leatherette with leather on the seating surfaces only. many, if no most cars with leather seats are made this way.

·
Luv'in Texas
1,001 Posts
I think it is usually termed "Leather seating Surfaces" which means that only where your backside touches is leather:tsk:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nope. In all BMW's, if you order leather seats, you get a FULL leather seat. The only part that is not leather is the backing piece which is obviously a hard textured plastic. The surfaces, sides, headrest, etc are all leather. We went over this about a year ago back on the .org and Jon was able to confirm this for us. I also saw first hand that the seat was all leather when I had to have one of my seat heating elements replaced and they sent the seat to a local upholstery shop to have the leather removed. The entire seat was leather, no vinyl. This is why the leather option is our cars costs a lot more than many other cars; we get the real FULL deal. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chad.

>>The surfaces, sides, headrest, etc are all leather. We went over this about a year ago back on the .org and Jon was able to confirm this for us.

I saw the posts on .org, although not Jon's confirmation. Do you also think that both the front and rear headrests are leather vs. leatherette? How about the panels in the doors that lay on top of the side airbags? (It just seems to me that the fake stuff would be easier to engineer to pop/tear open with airbag activation, which is why I'm wondering).

Also, without seeing the actual backing of the material (which you did in your car), is there a reliable way to be 100% certain? With some leathers it is obvious, but the Montana leather, with whatever the factory treats it with, can be hard to tell (at least for me). (And, by the way, does anyone think this stuff actually comes from Montana?!? )

Thanks again. By the way, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea: I'm not complaining or anything, just making sure that I'm using the right products in the right places.

Cheers,
Bruce:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do you also think that both the front and rear headrests are leather vs. leatherette? How about the panels in the doors that lay on top of the side airbags?
The entire headrest is leather (front and rear). For the door panel, the middle section is leather (between the upper and lower hard plastic). I am not sure about the airbag panel itself, but everything around the airbag is leather. I would assume though that the airbag panel is leather since in my Z3 it is leather. If you have leather, the only leatherette pieces in the car is the little tiny piece of fabris between the steering column and dash. For everything else, if it looks like leather it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great pic, Alexander! :lmao:

I was looking at a brochure the other day with the M5 in it, love that leather-covered dash and knee-area (whatever it's called)!!

Cheers,
Bruce

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
Alexander said:
In other words...

Sorry, saw this elsewhere and couldn't resist. :)

Alex
And how can anyone say that Bimmer interiors aren't beautiful!

Oh, the forums where I've read "BMW interiors are (a) plain (b) dated (c) fugly (d) yadda, yadda, yadda!

I can't quite describe the interior of a 3 Series; it's not flashy or cutting edge but it has its own beauty, which differs from the beauty of an Audi interior (which has its own distinctive beauty)

'Capable', 'Solid', 'Crafted', 'Serene' (yes, there's something serene about it)

Oh no! I'm becoming a Bimmer enthusiast!

True confession - I'm kind of scared; I'll be getting (Lord willing) my first Bimmer sometime in November - will I know how to treat it? (premium unleaded, vary the speeds, no going over 100 mph for the first couple thousand miles, have the brake flush done at two years, Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, wax the rims to take care of the brake dust, get the oil changed at least every 7500 miles (or sooner, like 4000-5000)

:angel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts