BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew! This was one hell of a road and I am happy to say that both myself and my car made it back in one piece. For those that don't know, Tail of the Dragon is a stretch of Hwy 129 in Tapoco, NC that boasts 318 curves in 11 miles! :yikes: :thumb: It's mainly a biker road, but you do see an occasional car enthusiast out there as well. I saw a couple S2000's, several WRX's, one M Roadster, and a 911 (that was getting pulled over for speeding :D).

Here's a few pix from our trip. I have some great in-car video that I'll try to post once I get around to editing the movies down to a manageable/downloadable size...Enjoy!

Chris

·
10,856 Posts
I WANT to drive that road!

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
KP said:
Could you provide some details? I'm in Chapel Hill, and would like to go there sometime during the fall:) . Is it right on the West border with Tenessee?
The place we stayed at is about 250 miles west of Charlotte. We stayed here: The Tapoco Lodge . If you decide to go, I recommend staying here vs. any of the hotels/motels in Robbinsville. The Tapoco Lodge is right at the base of the dragon whereas all the others are a good 20-30 minute drive away. Also try here for more details, maps, info, etc.: Tail of the Dragon

One more thing, for pure sightseeing purposes, the Cheoah damn that Harrison Ford jumped off of in The Fugitive is right at the base...

·
Registered
195 Posts
KP said:
Could you provide some details? I'm in Chapel Hill, and would like to go there sometime during the fall:) . Is it right on the West border with Tenessee?
It's just south of the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park (another of my favorite places) and near Fontana Dam. If you ever get the chance, go there. It is an incredible road. :thumb:

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the pics. Looks really great. And to think I was in the area with my new BMW 6 months ago and didn't even know about that road. But I did get to drive some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. :)

Say, what's the speed limit on that road? Just curious.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JonW said:
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the pics. Looks really great. And to think I was in the area with my new BMW 6 months ago and didn't even know about that road. But I did get to drive some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. :)

Say, what's the speed limit on that road? Just curious.
Believe it or not, the posted speed limit in some places is 55mph! :yikes:

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Wow. Neat. I'll have to try it sometime.

That's a really pretty part of the country. I like the trees and forests and rocks and hills. Hiking in the Smokies National Park is great. The lush green really came through in your photos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.