BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone is wondering the same.

1. When playing your MP3 CD and your shut down the car and later go back to it, does your music track skip from the last song played to about 5 to 6 tracks ahead?
For example, I was listening to the very first track on a CD and I turn off the car go inside. 20, 30 min. later come back turn on the car and the CD player starts playing a song that is 6 tracks forward. Kinda like if I had left the CD player running.

2. Does our 5 series come standard with a alarm? My clown nose blinks when I lock it so I assume it does.

3. Do I have big feet? Or are the clutch, brakes, and acceleration pedals too close together? When I'm wearing sneakers I'm ok with the pedals but when I wear dress shoes which are a tad wider I get caught up on the brakes and acceleration pedals with my right foot. Anyone else?

4. The 5 series brochure says that the manual "gearbox adds to the sporty feel with a shortened shift lever and "throw." " Those this mean that our 5s have a short throw manual gearbox or not?

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
1) I noticed my 6 did that the other night. Kinda weird.

2) Yes.

3) Maybe :dunno: BMW does put the pedals closer together than most manufacturers to aid in heel-and-toeing.

4) My 05 545 had a comically long throw to its gearbox, and a ludicrously tall shift knob to boot. I got a short shift knob which helped, but I'd say it's hyperbole to call it a short throw gearbox.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
I noticed the close pedals on an X3 loaner. It was an auto tranny. I was constantly hitting the gas and brake pedals. Very annoying. It is like some of the cars were designed for woman. :dunno:

·
Registered
862 Posts
4. What's important is whether or not you are getting a "sporty feel" :rofl:

The shifter picture in the brochure looks basically like my E39 M5 shifter as best I can tell - I know people would "mod" those also, but I thought it worked well "out of the box".

The people who design these cars are not dummies - they can be stubborn as hell at times, but usually there is some method to their madness - try to explore that for a bit...I'd say, give the car a chance to grow on you...maybe it works pretty well - I am loving mine more each time I take it out - especially now that I have cleared the 1200 mile zone :D

I've driven my MT BMW's in hiking boots - I think there's room to get around - although, I did find it a little clumsy and don't recommend boots for sport :).

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI Steve,

I actually don't have any complaints with the shifter, it shifts smooth, but I don't think it is a short throw shifter thats why I am asking.

·
Stuart in Houston
697 Posts
Kzang said:
I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone is wondering the same.

1. When playing your MP3 CD and your shut down the car and later go back to it, does your music track skip from the last song played to about 5 to 6 tracks ahead?
For example, I was listening to the very first track on a CD and I turn off the car go inside. 20, 30 min. later come back turn on the car and the CD player starts playing a song that is 6 tracks forward. Kinda like if I had left the CD player running.
It was running :bigpimp:

I just discovered this also. What happens is when you get out, unless you alarm the vehicle, the radio keeps running for 20 minutes. So your MP3 CD will be twenty minutes on down the road next time you get in. Alarming the vehicle kills the "radio on mode".

However. something else I discovered is even weirder. When I hit the Stereo Off button, the MP3 keeps playing. Just no sound. I can actually watch the timer keep progressing. When I turn the volume back on, it really has been playing all that time. That just doesn't make sense. Shouldn't off mean off, not mute? How do you stop an MP3 without changing audio source?

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,021 Posts
astrohip said:
It was running :bigpimp:

I just discovered this also. What happens is when you get out, unless you alarm the vehicle, the radio keeps running for 20 minutes. So your MP3 CD will be twenty minutes on down the road next time you get in. Alarming the vehicle kills the "radio on mode".

However. something else I discovered is even weirder. When I hit the Stereo Off button, the MP3 keeps playing. Just no sound. I can actually watch the timer keep progressing. When I turn the volume back on, it really has been playing all that time. That just doesn't make sense. Shouldn't off mean off, not mute? How do you stop an MP3 without changing audio source?
My guess is it you turned it "off" it would have to boot up all over again, which would be a PITA. Since they needed to engineer the mute in anyway (for BT phone calls), was prolly just easier to have the button work that way.

It's kinda neat with Sirius - I can mute the system but still see what songs are playing - even scroll through different streams with the system muted. Makes me feel like a stealth Sirius lurker ;)

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Kzang said:

Kzang, There's a thread about this Here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts