BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'08 X5 3.0si with 8400 miles on odometer.

I was driving on a stretch of highway at a high speed for some 30 miles using more kickdowns than usual(~10 to15 times) and staying more time in between 4000~7000RPM (more than usual anyway). Then off the highway and I was going at around 35mph. When I stepped on the accelerator to merge, but not using kickdown, I felt some change in gear selection then bong~ sound came and a messege about an out of order transmission came up saying to drive slowly.

When I got home driving the vehicle at around 37mph, I could smell something burning from the front kidney grill area, called the service center and came out to drive it to the dealer. I started the car but the message disappeared and everything seemed back to normal. I took a quick picture of the message just in case this happened, though the error is probably recorded in the vehicle's memory.

It's in the shop but any idea what it might be? I don't usually drive like I stole it.

PS. Just got a call from the service center. They said the transmission may require a replacement. They'll tell me the detail tomorrow. I'm out of warranty (European-spec vehicle registered outside NA). Thinking this may be what some people call BMW-reliability.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
'08 X5 3.0si with 8400 miles on odometer.

I was driving on a stretch of highway at a high speed for some 30 miles using more kickdowns than usual(~10 to15 times) and staying more time in between 4000~7000RPM (more than usual anyway). Then off the highway and I was going at around 35mph. When I stepped on the accelerator to merge, but not using kickdown, I felt some change in gear selection then bong~ sound came and a messege about an out of order transmission came up saying to drive slowly.

When I got home driving the vehicle at around 37mph, I could smell something burning from the front kidney grill area, called the service center and came out to drive it to the dealer. I started the car but the message disappeared and everything seemed back to normal. I took a quick picture of the message just in case this happened, though the error is probably recorded in the vehicle's memory.

It's in the shop but any idea what it might be? I don't usually drive like I stole it.

PS. Just got a call from the service center. They said the transmission may require a replacement. They'll tell me the detail tomorrow. I'm out of warranty (European-spec vehicle registered outside NA). Thinking this may be what some people call BMW-reliability.
Do you know the history of the car? Share with us what kind of failure was recorded by the car computer. I do not believe the transmission needs to be replaced with this mileage... though this could be the easiest solution for the service center (is it BMW service center?)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is the BMW dealer. I will ask for the error code and what's really recorded by the car when the dealer calls me to tell me the specifics. I'm the original owner and the only major operation the vehicle went through was the replacement of engine lifters and cylinder head to fix the metalic knocking noise when the engine is cold. It's a known problem in all 3.0 naturally aspirated engines (N52) produced before 2008 Dec. (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Did you buy it new? Something is odd. I had an '08 X5 3.0si and it was bullet-proof. I towed a 6,000-pound trailer with it all the time and beat the hell out it... never skipped a beat.

- Mike

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I did buy it new. And it seems weird to me too. I never abuse it and it has such low mileage. This one time I go out for some spirited driving and it awards me with a transmission breakdown. I'm sure there are many drivers who does a lot more to their vehicles without a single problem. I didn't do anything extreme. It's something even Hyundai/Kia must be able to withstand without a sweat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
An '08 with only 8,400 miles on the odometer? Did they check the tranny filter to clear the cobwebs out of it?

Hard to believe BMWNA would tell you go pound sand on a transmission failure at such low mileage...sounds as though some phone calls up the chain of command may be in order. I'd certainly look to negotiate a huge discount...seems like their engineers would want to do a post-mortem on it so maybe they'd be willing to cut you a deal.

Good luck with this...please keep us posted on what you learn.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Error code 4F83. A quick Google search says it's something to do with one of the clutches in the gearbox.

Dealer says the new gear box will cost equivalent to USD$7500, including labor. Interestingly, labor cost is only about USD$400. Fitting the big package under the vehicle doesn't seem to take so long.

I'm speechless. It's almost one third of the remaning cost of the vehicle.

The SA told me it's possible to drive the car without fixing it, but no telling when/if the message will ever appear again and may become immobile.

I'm thinking to call up the BMW headquarters, explain the situation and ask for some discount.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Hi

I had once problem with transmission in my 530dA. I was driving in huge traffic, it was very hot, so the transmission did not have good ventilation. I got a "check transmission" message came on. I stopped and when started the car after a few minutes the message was gone. I checked the faults register - "Converter lock-up excessive slip" (do not remember the error code). I made an extensive research on internet. I think the problem was with the transmission oil - there was a time when BMW claimed that the gearbox oil is lifetime (that you do not have to change it). Unfortunately, after some mileage (my 530dA was 160k miles then) the oil loses its characteristics. I changed the oil and the message did not come on again.

My advice would be to drive a little bit and check whether the fault message comes on.

BTW - I am just wondering what time do they allocated to change the gearbox? It is not a 1hr job. The cost of oil is included? :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't talked too much in detail with the SA about the transmission replacement because I said I'm thinking to just drive it without fixing it until it really needs the replacement. So not too sure about how long they allocate the labor time or if the cost of oil is included. But I'm sure oil's included in the price, I mean look at the bill!

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
So, why do you have no warranty? Is this normal that they void warranties for vehicles registered out of the original country they were registered? Did you get one hellava deal?

- Mike

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the U.S. and Canada, they are both managed by BMWNA, but if you bring the vehicle to other countries, I think they have no obligation to honor the warranty beyond what's offered for the locals. For example, if you buy a vehicle in the U.S. and take it to, say Australia and if BMW Australia only offers 3 years of warranty to their drivers, then I think they may not honor the 4 year warranty.

But I'm at least hopeful BMW may help me out in this case. I called the BMW headquarters and explained the situation. They agreed with the peculiarity of the breakdown at such low mileage, and the warranty was only 4 months past. They responded positively and said they would contact with the dealer and see what can be done.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
They responded positively and said they would contact with the dealer and see what can be done.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, but I am hoping I will be wrong and I will be surprised.

EVERY call to the Customer Affairs is answered in this manner....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the new transmission for free. Going through the break in procedure again. The whole process feels like getting a new car. Almost.
Haven't had the chance to use higher gears. Being in a heavy traffic and staying mostly in 2nd and 3rd gears, I didn't feel too much of a difference, except the throttle felt sort of more sensitive, possibly related to driver adaptation.

If I had to pay for the new unit, I don't think I would've went for it.

While the vehicle was in the center, I complained about the noise from the trunk and showed them the pdf file someone on xoutpost posted. It's a trunk adjustment procedure and now it's all quiet and perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Caddy did the same for me a few years ago on an Escalade, the engine blew, crank broke in 2 places. It took about a week of phone calls and finally they stepped up and replaced it FREE. $6000 replacement, I was 1000 miles out of warranty.
Since I've switched from caddy to BMW I hope I never have that experience again.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Very good to hear.

We all hear about how people get the short end f the stick, nice to hear BMW stepped up for you. They didn't have to...

A

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.