BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
??? Do you think that was really ever a ///M or just converted to look like it may have been an ///M???

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CD-55 said:
??? Do you think that was really ever a ///M or just converted to look like it may have been an ///M???
Does it matter what is was before it was ruined? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Does it matter what is was before it was ruined? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
hmm maybe is was not even a BMW!

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
nate are those exhaust pipes or 4 rocket launchers? on the rear end?

and do you know the mach rating while cruising at altitude for this bad boy?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chukiechz said:
yikes, thats scary. Are you sure its an E36? or has the front been converted to an E46?
Look a the doors and rear section.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
That's gotta be the most riced out BMW I've ever seen. :tsk: :thumbdwn:

I'd probably stare at it if I saw it in person too, but I'd make sure I was laughing so the guy didn't think I actually liked it. :lmao:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
///Mathew said:
Man...look at all those people standing around in admiration...:thumbdwn:
I wish that I could convince myself that they are in shock, but unfortunately, you're probably right. :(

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Well, customs are just another subculture of automobilia (is that a word?). I think this car took it a little too far, much like some of the totally bizarre customs from the 60's. Back then, customizers seriously went over the top because a lot of shows were judged on the number of custom components - it became a philosophy of customizing just for the sake of customizing. IMHO, customs from the 50's were much more elegant, and that seems to be a very popular style in the recently resurgent rod/custom world. A nice '51 Merc with some tasteful leading, chopping, and lowering, with a good kandy paint job. Mmmm...

Anyway, back to this poor E36. Get rid of the terribly-designed rear, and replace those rims and tires (especially in back - hello?!) with something more reasonable. Now, remove the windshield visor thingy and paint that silver lower grille. I think that would look much better. I wouldn't do anything like that to my own car, of course....somehow I don't see much of that being useful at the autocross. :bigpimp:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Jetfire said:
A nice '51 Merc with some tasteful leading, chopping, and lowering, with a good kandy paint job. Mmmm...
The difference being that in most cases the mods done to rods/customs simplify and cleanse the appearence which was born out of the beginning of rods where the idea was to remove weight for better perofrmance. When it went from rods to customs, the aesthetic remained.

Contrast that with today's ornateness of mods, typified by massive serve-no-useful-purpose wings, spoliers, airdams, NACA ducts, etc.

Of course, in the early days, they didn't know much about aerodynamics or downforce :dunno:

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
The difference being that in most cases the mods done to rods/customs simplify and cleanse the appearence which was born out of the beginning of rods where the idea was to remove weight for better perofrmance. When it went from rods to customs, the aesthetic remained.

Contrast that with today's ornateness of mods, typified by massive serve-no-useful-purpose wings, spoliers, airdams, NACA ducts, etc.

Of course, in the early days, they didn't know much about aerodynamics or downforce :dunno:
True, true. I tend to have greater appreciation for modern cars that are customized with more traditional techniques - suiciding the rear doors, shaving handles/badges/locks, filling in seams, stuff like that. But still, it was common even in those days to borrow parts from other cars to achieve a certain look. No, there weren't any combat wings floating around....but like you said, they didn't know about stuff like downforce back then. And they didn't know that yellow paint = 25 hp, either.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Jetfire said:

True, true. I tend to have greater appreciation for modern cars that are customized with more traditional techniques - suiciding the rear doors, shaving handles/badges/locks, filling in seams, stuff like that. But still, it was common even in those days to borrow parts from other cars to achieve a certain look. No, there weren't any combat wings floating around....but like you said, they didn't know about stuff like downforce back then.
So why is that older cars that have been heavily modded don't look so darn silly like so many modern cars?

And they didn't know that yellow paint = 25 hp, either.
But they did know that a flamejob = 50 HP. hmm, maybe that's the real reason for "flame surfacing"? :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts