BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the driver's side rear wheel, something is leaking on the inside rim. Only that side. Is there anything common I should look for? I haven't noticed any noise or any difference when driving the car. Looks like it leaks while the car is moving not when it's sitting in the garage.
Thanks for any thoughts on things to check. I sure hope it's nothing major, I recently bought the car and have spent a small fortune getting it to where it needs to be. It'd be nice if it would run smoothly for a while so I could build up some reserves...

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Is it more of a grease, or fluid? Do you know what color it is?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it more of a grease, or fluid? Do you know what color it is?
It's like a brown/orangey brown...it's more oily than greasy. Also when the tire was off (to fix a flat) we saw that the axle boot was not broken.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
It's like a brown/orangey brown...it's more oily than greasy. Also when the tire was off (to fix a flat) we saw that the axle boot was not broken.
I was going to suggest the axle boot, but you say that it's not leaking. The only other think I can think of would be brake fluid. Check the caliper and brake lines going into it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to suggest the axle boot, but you say that it's not leaking. The only other think I can think of would be brake fluid. Check the caliper and brake lines going into it.
Thanks for your help, I'll check that and let you know.
I was worried it was differential fluid. I hope it's a simple fix...it's nice to have those every now and then.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rear brake line is bent where it goes into the caliper. I assume it's been like that since I bought the car 4 months ago and just recently started leaking. So we're ordering new brake lines but we're wondering if we should go ahead and order new calipers too. Suppose I won't be driving it for a while :cry:

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Glad you found the problem. I would hold off on the caliper, they are about 200 bucks, and chances are it was just the brake line fitting going into the caliper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts