Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GT 4 Me!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if my experience is normal or not, and trying to collect any similarities before I'd try to describe to the dealership. Overall this is a marvelous car and I like it better than any I've had before (all 125 or so of them). But I've got a growing list of "sometimes things don't work right" issues that seem to resolve themselves as quickly as they appear:

---Sometimes when I touch the handle to unlock the car I can hear the solenoid trigger, the other 3 doors unlock, but not the driver's door. So I push the button on the key fob and it unlocks just fine.

---Sometimes when I park, the radio stops when I get out, sometimes not. When it doesn't stop, it will just keep going even after I shut the door and walk away. Locking the car with the key fob seems to shut it off.

---Sometimes when I park and leave the car, the radio shuts off when the driver's door opens, sometimes not. Other times it shuts off when the passenger door opens, sometimes not.

---Sometimes when I get in, the display screen says, "Hi XXXX" and a pleasant little chime sounds. Most times not.

---Sometimes when I shift to reverse and start to move it will jam the brakes on like it's a safety stop, most times not.

---Sometimes the seats are in the same place as when I last left the car, sometimes not.

None of these are task-critical issues, but each of them can be annoying. And are little electronic inconsistencies like this a precursor to more major ones that may happen while out on the road? (A strong case against all the electro-nannies that are built into this thing!)

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced little quirks like this, and if so--what did you do about it? I'll mention them to the dealer when I'm back for service, but I'm sure that replication won't be easy.

Thanks,
B

·
Registered
48 Posts
All great reasons not to own this car once the warranty expires.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the 2nd one about the radio, make sure you put the car in park and shut the car off before opening the door. If you pop the door too quickly the radio will stay on.

The safety stop is because the car "sees" something, you can disable the auto braking in the menus.

Are you using the same key every time?

·
GT 4 Me!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 2nd one about the radio, make sure you put the car in park and shut the car off before opening the door. If you pop the door too quickly the radio will stay on.

The safety stop is because the car "sees" something, you can disable the auto braking in the menus.

Are you using the same key every time?

I'll pay attention to these details and see if I can discern any relationships that would indicate a cause and effect & I'll definitely look for the auto braking disablement!

Yes, I only use one key. My wife has the other regular key and the gimmicky "Display Key" is in the desk drawer ready to go back when the lease is over in 32 months.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
GT 4 Me!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All great reasons not to own this car once the warranty expires.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I never considered driving it that long. The lease will expire before the warranty, and something new will replace it. But it's a good point.

·
Registered
695 Posts
---Sometimes when I touch the handle to unlock the car I can hear the solenoid trigger, the other 3 doors unlock, but not the driver's door. So I push the button on the key fob and it unlocks just fine.
This shouldn't ever happen. Something may be wrong with the drivers door solenoid.

---Sometimes when I park, the radio stops when I get out, sometimes not. When it doesn't stop, it will just keep going even after I shut the door and walk away. Locking the car with the key fob seems to shut it off.
This sounds normal. Most time it depends on the presence of the passenger and who opens their door first. The fob always shuts off radio when locked.

---Sometimes when I park and leave the car, the radio shuts off when the driver's door opens, sometimes not. Other times it shuts off when the passenger door opens, sometimes not.
see above

---Sometimes when I get in, the display screen says, "Hi XXXX" and a pleasant little chime sounds. Most times not.
Always says XXXX on screen with the chime. Tip: always make sure the fob is in your pocket in the front seat. My wife used to put her fob in her purse and toss it in the back seat. Sometimes it reset for her and other times it stayed set for me. Putting her fob in the front seat solved it.

---Sometimes when I shift to reverse and start to move it will jam the brakes on like it's a safety stop, most times not.
Never happened but could be Cross traffic alert.

---Sometimes the seats are in the same place as when I last left the car, sometimes not.
Anyone else driving using a different fob. Have you changed the seats on a trip. Have you set the seats in memory. Was the car locked between trips.
Good luck

·
GT 4 Me!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that these things "shouldn't" happen, but they do. I agree that the driver's door lock is probably a solenoid. Hopefully it will fail when it's in for service next month and they can fix it. The "car stays on issue" is more than just the radio--it's the interior ambient lighting, the turn signal if it had to be on when I stopped, even the headlights. Luckily, the key fob does override all the errors and I've gotten into the habit of always locking it when I depart, since one time everything was still running right along an hour later--it was in my garage so no harm done, but still??????? Key is always in my coat pocket--physically it's right next to the center console when I'm driving, and I notice it most often when I'm by myself (so no possibility of additional keys present). The change in the seat can happen with or without locking the car, and in as little as a 2-minute stop.

Like I said in the OP, none of this prevents driving or enjoying the car, it's just irritating. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks for more details.
Based on your reply when I say radio, I mean the ambient lights, speedo, tach and all gauges and headlights are on until a door is opened (although both my wife and I have left the car simultaneously and everything stays on). I liked the old way of pushing the Start/Stop button twice to turn off everything. Not the GT. I use the Comfort Access to turn everything off and lock the car.
The seat should not be changing by itself. Dealer issue as you noted. I assume it doesn't do it when you are driving but turning it off seems to release a gremlin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts