BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Damn, John, that is a gorgeous car. IMO, it's one of the best looking BMWs in current production. Too bad you can only get a stick in the 525iT. Or maybe it should be too bad I still am stuck on having a stick.

Anyway, beautiful car.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Oink Oink!

Great pics of a great car! I've never seen a pork look so good! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think you've got a new career as an auto detailer. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Nice pics john:thumbup: but you missed some dirt on the license plate:D :D (j/k)

John, now that you've had that car for a few weeks, what kind of milage numbers do you get with it??? (if you've checked)

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DougDogs said:
Nice pics john:thumbup: but you missed some dirt on the license plate:D :D (j/k)

John, now that you've had that car for a few weeks, what kind of milage numbers do you get with it??? (if you've checked)
Happened to see it the other nite. 17.9 Not great, but I also noticed the ave. speed was about 22 mph. This is because it's my wife's car and we're talking mostly short trips and parking lots. What a waste of a great car, but she really loves the car, more than I thought she would. When I got the car the mpg was about 23 with ave speed about 46 mph. That's how it got 85k miles in 3 years. The guy was always on the freeway and driving fast. I'll bet he never set the counters and these were numbers for the life of the car. Interestingly, they're very similar to my 330, and I'm mostly freeway to work and back. While the car's never been cleaner and gets lots of TLC, I feel like it had a better life before being driven at sustained high speeds.

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ObD said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think you've got a new career as an auto detailer. :bigpimp:
Thanks, but pictures can be very flattering. There are problems that don't show up. A big problem is the wheels. Look at the driver's rear wheel near the bottom, that's the plating all peeled away where you see the color difference :yikes: Looking forward to getting her new wheels.

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Holden said:
Damn, John, that is a gorgeous car. IMO, it's one of the best looking BMWs in current production. Too bad you can only get a stick in the 525iT. Or maybe it should be too bad I still am stuck on having a stick.

Anyway, beautiful car.
Why, thanks TD. I really appreciate the compliment. The car is wonderful, has that "heavy" steering which you particularly love and drives home how light my 330's steering is by comparison. There is a definite difference in feel and I like the 540 better. The 540 is causing me be more critical of the 330. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and I love it, but find myself choosing to drive the 540 when given the choice. I guess I like the heaviness, power and weight. The whole package just has a great feel. So, when I get in the 330, I feel the 540, just less of it, if this makes sense. There's not enough difference for me to really get a big kick out of my car. I've been reading many of the articles on SMG, most all of them very favorable both off and on track, and am beginning to think that an SMG E46 M3 might be what I'm missing. As you know, I've driven sticks for many years, but just didn't want it in my daily driver. SMG might be just the ticket for me. But, I also must have a convertible. So, here's the plan, being the pragmatic guy I am...you might even appreciate this. The guy I bought the 540 from, has a black 2002 M3 coupe with SMG now. In two years he's expecting to get a 6 series. By then he will have high mileage, for two years (50k?) and I know the car won't have been abused although it will be dirty. I'll be able to buy it right, as I did the 540. But now I have no convertible (replaced by M3). Solution: My father is buying, in April, a Z4 with SMG and every available option. He will lease it and said he would accelerate the lease and then let me buy out the car. So, I'd end up with a 1999 540iAT, 2002 E46 M3 coupe w/SMG and a 2003 Z4 Grey/black/aluminum w/SMG and removeablehardtop. Not bad, if I can hold out 2 years, buy both at probably 1/2 of list or less. Thoughts?

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Re: Oink Oink!

GimpyMcFarlan said:
Great pics of a great car! I've never seen a pork look so good! :thumbup:
Here are some before pics in the pig state. It just didn't have the sparkle and you can see the filth on the rear. There were I think four or five stickers on the windshield too. If you look closely in the first pic, you can see the sand packed into where the spoke meets the rim:yikes:

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Looks real PRIMO, John! :thumbup:

Can't wait to see he with her new wheels on (I think you know what I mean; wink-wink, nod-nod ;) ).

G

·
johnlew said:

Why, thanks TD. I really appreciate the compliment. The car is wonderful, has that "heavy" steering which you particularly love and drives home how light my 330's steering is by comparison. There is a definite difference in feel and I like the 540 better. The 540 is causing me be more critical of the 330. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and I love it, but find myself choosing to drive the 540 when given the choice. I guess I like the heaviness, power and weight. The whole package just has a great feel. So, when I get in the 330, I feel the 540, just less of it, if this makes sense. There's not enough difference for me to really get a big kick out of my car. I've been reading many of the articles on SMG, most all of them very favorable both off and on track, and am beginning to think that an SMG E46 M3 might be what I'm missing. As you know, I've driven sticks for many years, but just didn't want it in my daily driver. SMG might be just the ticket for me. But, I also must have a convertible. So, here's the plan, being the pragmatic guy I am...you might even appreciate this. The guy I bought the 540 from, has a black 2002 M3 coupe with SMG now. In two years he's expecting to get a 6 series. By then he will have high mileage, for two years (50k?) and I know the car won't have been abused although it will be dirty. I'll be able to buy it right, as I did the 540. But now I have no convertible (replaced by M3). Solution: My father is buying, in April, a Z4 with SMG and every available option. He will lease it and said he would accelerate the lease and then let me buy out the car. So, I'd end up with a 1999 540iAT, 2002 E46 M3 coupe w/SMG and a 2003 Z4 Grey/black/aluminum w/SMG and hardtop. Not bad, if I can hold out 2 years, buy both at probably 1/2 of list or less. Thoughts?
As for your specific plan, if that's what you want, it sounds like a great idea.

In more general terms, I have really come to realize that buying new cars really makes poor economic sense. I will likely never buy another new car, even if there are models out that appeal to me. You can just get so much more for your money buying used.

Personally, I'm watching the prices of '00 Audi S4 Avants and '99 or '00 528iT SP 5-spds.

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holden said:

In more general terms, I have really come to realize that buying new cars really makes poor economic sense. I will likely never buy another new car, even if there are models out that appeal to me. You can just get so much more for your money buying used.

Personally, I'm watching the prices of '00 Audi S4 Avants and '99 or '00 528iT SP 5-spds.
I am in full agreement with you on used cars, new cars are such a waste of money when you can buy good used and know what to look for. Another thing with new, they can only get worse. From the day you pick it up, the car only gets worse in terms of looks...chips, dings, dents, wear, etc. However, someday, when I can get past my need to buy value (not that there's anything wrong with that), and am acutely aware of my dwindling time on Earth, I may buy new and the hell with the $$$$. We'll see. Or like my dad, leasing new cars thru a business is a great value, the gov't becomes your copilot in depreciation. Your watch list looks interesting. Great to have the luxury of time.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
johnlew said:
So, I'd end up with a 1999 540iAT, 2002 E46 M3 coupe w/SMG and a 2003 Z4 Grey/black/aluminum w/SMG and removeablehardtop. Not bad, if I can hold out 2 years, buy both at probably 1/2 of list or less. Thoughts?
Sounds like a nice stable to me:thumbup:

The wagon is looking great. :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
johnlew said:

Happened to see it the other nite. 17.9 Not great, but I also noticed the ave. speed was about 22 mph. This is because it's my wife's car and we're talking mostly short trips and parking lots. What a waste of a great car, but she really loves the car, more than I thought she would. When I got the car the mpg was about 23 with ave speed about 46 mph. That's how it got 85k miles in 3 years.
Those aren't bad number at all...you just need to take it out and "stretch it's legs" every once in a while:) :thumbup:

·
Registered
590 Posts
johnlew said:

I am in full agreement with you on used cars, new cars are such a waste of money when you can buy good used and know what to look for. Another thing with new, they can only get worse. From the day you pick it up, the car only gets worse in terms of looks...chips, dings, dents, wear, etc. However, someday, when I can get past my need to buy value (not that there's anything wrong with that), and am acutely aware of my dwindling time on Earth, I may buy new and the hell with the $$$$. We'll see. Or like my dad, leasing new cars thru a business is a great value, the gov't becomes your copilot in depreciation. Your watch list looks interesting. Great to have the luxury of time.
I was burned pretty badly on a used BMW (540i), so it's new cars for me for a while, at least until I forget the pain of the monthly repair bills, that far exceeded potential new car payments. Then again, I just paid off the wifes car, and I'm enjoying not having car payments, so there's hope for me yet. ;)

Oh yeah, and I went from a 540i to a 330i and know what you mean about missing things in the 330. The 330i is fine, but unrefined compared to the 540. My plan is to wait for the new generation 5-series and pick up a 545i in a few years when the 330 is paid for.

--gary

G

·
Nat Brown said:

I was burned pretty badly on a used BMW (540i), so it's new cars for me for a while, at least until I forget the pain of the monthly repair bills, that far exceeded potential new car payments. Then again, I just paid off the wifes car, and I'm enjoying not having car payments, so there's hope for me yet. ;)

Oh yeah, and I went from a 540i to a 330i and know what you mean about missing things in the 330. The 330i is fine, but unrefined compared to the 540. My plan is to wait for the new generation 5-series and pick up a 545i in a few years when the 330 is paid for.

--gary
It's funny how wide a range of opinions there are here on this board.

To me, the E39 has MORE driving feel than the E46. And my primary complaint about the 330i is that it is far too refined.

But that's me...

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Holden said:

It's funny how wide a range of opinions there are here on this board.

To me, the E39 has MORE driving feel than the E46. And my primary complaint about the 330i is that it is far too refined.

But that's me...
You've probably never driven a 540 or M5. While the steering is much heavier than overboosted 2001, they are exremely NUMB because they have a recurulatling ball unit. Also, the I-6 models get aluminum suspension bits.

I've driven a 528, 530, 540, M5 and all of them felt MUCH more refined than my car or any 3 series that I have driven (save the M5 when you open her up :angel: )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts