Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me. I have had this sos light on for a while. I bought the jumper and went to my trunk and tried to jump it yet the light does not go out. I was wondering on a 2010 x5 is there other points where I can jump out the fiber optic and see what is causing the light? Thanks in advanced.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,799 Posts
What 'sos light'?

Find a picture and post it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ridin but I have tried this part and it stills shows up when i start the car. My radio is working in the car its just everytime i start the car it gives me the sos light.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So what it's trying to tell you is you no longer can make SOS calls via satellite or telephone. Why it's doing this could be a number of reason. Do you have any diagnostic tools? Reset the TCU module, if you don't have a tool unplug it for a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Did you do that BMW thing where they removed module or installed 4G one? If not, I think BMW cut service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm from NZ so we don't get to experience such luxuries, plus 70% of the cars in NZ are used imports from Japan so nothing works.

So all telecommunications have either been turned off or removed in your car then?

·
Registered
1 Posts
SOS Call Malfunction

Hello, I also have a SOS Call Malfunction on my 2011 X5. There are a ton of posts on the internet about this, coding, etc...but I do not understand much of it. I only have the warning lights, bluetooth, radio, everything works fine. Took to dealer to recode to remove SOS call feature, came back on before I drove out of dealership. Everything works, but bugs me. Dealer says that I need to replace TCU module for $1300. I can get the module thing on ebay for $60. Does everything need to be reprogrammed at dealership after the module is replaced? Any other thoughts or solutions? Like I said...everything is working and I am afraid that if I try too much on my own that I will just make things worse, but I am really not interested in spending $1300 to make a warning light go away. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Older X5***8217;s, mine, came with 2G technology that soon became obsolescent and then it was obsoleted and the network was shutdown. Within a reasonable time BMW offered to and did backfit 3G-4G TCU gratis. That reasonable time expired a couple of years ago. My backfit TCU works fine. 5G network is coming on line as two major US companies - maybe Verizon and ATT&t - have upgraded in major markets.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello, I also have a SOS Call Malfunction on my 2011 X5. There are a ton of posts on the internet about this, coding, etc...but I do not understand much of it. I only have the warning lights, bluetooth, radio, everything works fine. Took to dealer to recode to remove SOS call feature, came back on before I drove out of dealership. Everything works, but bugs me. Dealer says that I need to replace TCU module for $1300. I can get the module thing on ebay for $60. Does everything need to be reprogrammed at dealership after the module is replaced? Any other thoughts or solutions? Like I said...everything is working and I am afraid that if I try too much on my own that I will just make things worse, but I am really not interested in spending $1300 to make a warning light go away. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Yes you'll still have to get it coded, every module in your car is registered with your VIN tag number, you'll have to edit the replacement TCU with your VIN to make it work. (Easier than it sounds)

Before purchasing TCU have you thought about getting a diagnostic tool? I.e Carly or Protools. If you want to do things on the cheap this was the first tool I bought for the car 3 months ago.

Protools has a SOS function to turn off, give that a go for the cost of $100. It may even tell you what triggered the SOS fault.

I turned SOS on and received that fault immediately because the telecommunications package wasn't turned on and setup by original owner. So I turned the function off again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts