BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have a bmw 3 series 2001 (Y reg) 1.9 318i manual (probably frowned upon as its not the 330 lol!)

Anyway, the headunit is standard, no option for MP3 so i've had to make do with an FM transmitter (which is pretty terrible).

Is it possible to hook up a sub/amp combo to the standard headunit?

Or will I need to buy an aftermarket headunit?

Thanks for the help

-To add, it has a casstte player in the boot.. is there some way of replacing the wiring from that to a sub/amp?

New to BMW's so bare with me! :thumbup:

· Registered
916 Posts
I wired in a Bazooka subwoofer into my 2000 323i years ago when my daughter was still driving it. It has a built in AMP, so all I had to do was get power to it and the correct signals.

Found the schematic and followed the wiring diagram on the Bazooka subwoofer and it worked fine. As I recall, I tapped into the wiring in the trunk, under the driver side interior fender panel- which is were the OEM AMP is installed.

That's all I know/recall...I can read a schematic so if you can get the Bentley manual wiring diagram you can do somthing like this....not sure about anything else however.

· The Boss of Nobody
3,737 Posts
Hi there

I have a bmw 3 series 2001 (Y reg) 1.9 318i manual (probably frowned upon as its not the 330 lol!)

Anyway, the headunit is standard, no option for MP3 so i've had to make do with an FM transmitter (which is pretty terrible).

Is it possible to hook up a sub/amp combo to the standard headunit?

Or will I need to buy an aftermarket headunit?

Thanks for the help

-To add, it has a casstte player in the boot.. is there some way of replacing the wiring from that to a sub/amp?

New to BMW's so bare with me! :thumbup:
Most that want to add an aftermarket sub and amp will use a line-out converter off of one of the rear deck speakers for signal and pipe that into the RCA's of the aftermarket amp. If you search the forums you will find several threads on the topic.:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.