BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally hunted down my elusive salesman to get my production code. I ordered a few months ago, but told him I wanted delivery for May 1st. I was pleasantly surprised to track my car via Owner's Circle and find it "en route." Then I began to be suspicious...

En Route already? Hmmmm. I then checked the production venue via E46Fanatics FAQ, only to discover there is no "P" listed. On to an .ORG search... Apparently P is a new production code for South Africa. Since when were 330xi's ever produced in SA? I thought only 325's were produced there. This also explains why my salesman insisted that I couldn't Euro-Deliver my 330xi...

At the risk of sparking an old (but perhaps not tired) debate, I'm curious as to any first hand/ word-of-mouth experiences with SA builds that were either trouble-free or trouble-ridden.... Thoughts, comments? I admit I'm a bit disappointed. After reading a few articles on the X5 and the Z3 most initial quality problems of all BMW models, I decided production location did, indeed matter. Accordingly, I am a bit worried about my newborn... I'd love to hear some feedback.

Thanks
Pres330xi
SG/Black 'ette, SP, CWP, Bi-Xe, Moonroof, 5sp

· Ex-Dictator
27,411 Posts
Why are you disappointed ?

BMW is a manufacturer with plants all over the world. Engines are being produced in England or Brazil (Mini), cars are produced in Germany, USA, S.Africa. And they wouldn't built a plant if SA if they were concerned with the built quality.

I have never read/seen an article or news where the quality issue of the SA plant was discussed. Not even in the german car press. Not one time !

You are writing that you heard the initial problems on Z3 and X5 models (which are built in the USA). I can show you hundreds of thousands of BMWs which were built in Germany and having the same problems. (And initial quality problem is not a BMW problem)

So as long as it's a BMW it'll need to pass the same quality control as in Munich, Dingolfing or Regensburg. No doubt about that.

· AWD rocks
426 Posts
P = Munich according to BMWNA

MY 325xi has P in the VIN so I called BMWNA. It took the rep 24 hr to get back to me with an answer though.

· The Original Dr. Phil
11,419 Posts
My xiT was produced in Regensberg and vin code for plant = "P"

So one of you or all of us is getting bunk info:dunno:

When I placed my order, a friendly dealer internet rep sent me an email about my order and said "Your vin should have a P in it which means it was produced in Regensberg". For the record, my memory tells me that only 325's are coming out of SA.

But as Alex has pointed out the factory should not affect the build quality:)

· Brilliant!
9,966 Posts
My 325xi is "E" and was definitely produced in Regensburg.

I was told that all xi models are produced in Regensburg, although it is possible tha tthey have started producing them in SA. I also thought that only 325s were being produced in SA, although again tha tcould have changed.

· The Original Dr. Phil
11,419 Posts
Mike 325xi said:

I was told that all xi models are produced in Regensburg, although it is possible tha tthey have started producing them in SA. I also thought that only 325s were being produced in SA, although again tha tcould have changed.
Its a scary day when you and I agree on something 100% :yikes:

Regensberg has 3 or 4 identifiers associated with them, why I don't know maybe they roll them. I'm sure the wise Mr. Baumann can shed some light:D

· Brilliant!
9,966 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

Its a scary day when you and I agree on something 100% :yikes:

Regensberg has 3 or 4 identifiers associated with them, why I don't know maybe they roll them. I'm sure the wise Mr. Baumann can shed some light:D
I'm more scared than you could know :yikes: :D

I know that Regensburg has more than one code associated with it, E, J and P, I think, and there may be another. Munich has at least 2 codes. There is a "decoder ring" on E46 fanatics but it doesn't show "P" and it shows "N" for SA. I don't think it has been fully updated.

Here is the E46fanatics link...it's about half way down the page.
http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/faqs.php

· The Original Dr. Phil
11,419 Posts
Mike 325xi said:

I'm more scared than you could know :yikes: :D

But as long as you continue to agree with me I don't have to send Alee out to stalk you:eeps: Or if you insist on slamming the wagon:mad: I'll do it myself:yikes:

:D

· Brilliant!
9,966 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

But as long as you continue to agree with me I don't have to send Alee out to stalk you:eeps: Or if you insist on slamming the wagon:mad: I'll do it myself:yikes:

:D
Do I have to post another picture there Clark W. Griswold?? :D

· The Original Dr. Phil
11,419 Posts
Ok here's a pic of me finally

Mike 325xi said:

Do I have to post another picture there Clark W. Griswold?? :D
This is me and my family getting ready to go see Uncle Eddy (uh I mean Mike, since they have so much in common:D )

· A sudden sense of liberty
3,959 Posts
Mike 325xi said:

My car was also built in Regensburg, and also has an "E."

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why are you disappointed ?
I'm dissapointed because I really did see an article about the inferior initial build quality on the Z3 and X5 (both produced at in US), but in the interest of supporting my argument, I'll shut my trap until I have time to dig up the article... This, or course, does not directly have to do with the SA plant, but it implies that despite BMW's high level of quality control, build location makes a difference, unless somebody thinks that the Z3 and the X5 are poorly engineered...

I'm also sure that some BMWs in Germany have the same problems, it's the frequency that I'm concerned with.

My xiT was produced in Regensberg and vin code for plant = "P"
P = Munich according to BMWNA
Wow, now I'm really confused. This info coupled with the info from .ORG... Perhaps I'll call BMWNA so they can give me some more erroneous info :) I do have a suspicion that it is, in fact, SA, only because my dealer insisted that I couldn't Euro-Deliver the 330xi (West coast delivery if this makes a difference), but I'd love find out differently.

Was in the dealer the other day and most of the 330 were stickered as SA cars.
Interesting... Apparenlty BMWAG slipped one by without a press release that made it to the US. I was sure they were only producing 325s in SA up until a year ago or so.

Oh well, thanks for all the info and the comments.

Pres330xi
SG/Black 'ette, SP, CWP, Bi-Xe, Moonroof, 5sp

· Rest in peace, Coach
9,614 Posts
No Xi's are produced in SA. PERIOD.

South Africa ONLY makes 325i's.

· Registered
403 Posts
My VIN says "P" AND the plates inside the door list Regensburg as the plant. The Window sticker also says Regensburg.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ict330xi said:
My VIN says "P" AND the plates inside the door list Regensburg as the plant. The Window sticker also says Regensburg.
Yup me too. My plant code was P. The sticker on my window said Regensburg. Info on the org as of late is pretty iffy.
Thanks for the info guys - just what I was looking for. You made my day :) It's also reassuring to know that someone else's 330xi was produced in Germany... but maybe I'm just being a baby :D

I am curious about the SA plant though: HACK insists only 325is are made in SA (which was true to what I've read), but in_d_haus seemed pretty sure there were 330s stickered from SA. Any more info out there?

· Registered
682 Posts
pres330xi said:

I am curious about the SA plant though: HACK insists only 325is are made in SA (which was true to what I've read), but in_d_haus seemed pretty sure there were 330s stickered from SA. Any more info out there?
It might just be a mixup. There was a thread recently about some BMW being stickered as having a CVT from the Mini.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.