Bimmerfest BMW banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm scheduling a somewhat impromptu techsession (hence the .5) at Scottn2retro's place. So far there isn't anything on the agenda, just:

1) Drop off the MityVac for the group buy

2) Oil change on SONET's car.

If you are free for an afternoon and would like to have some issues/items installed on your car, feel free to stop by or post what you want to have done here. Tentatively scheduled for 10:00 am, Saturday October 19th.

Scott will provide info to his house. Don't abuse that info. ;)

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
DOH! I'm still checking with the wife . . .

for using our house (should be okay). :yikes: If at my place, I would not want to start before 9:00 for sure.

If possible, I'd like to see a jack comparison if HACK gets his hot new jack and somebody has the Harbor Freight or equivalent model. :dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: DOH! I'm still checking with the wife . . .

scottn2retro said:
for using our house (should be okay). :yikes: If at my place, I would not want to start before 9:00 for sure.

If possible, I'd like to see a jack comparison if HACK gets his hot new jack and somebody has the Harbor Freight or equivalent model. :dunno:
SONET has the Harbor Freight model. Sorry for jumping the gun, let me know if it's okay to host it at your place, if not my place is fine BUT I can only accomodate up to 4 cars in the driveway unless someone wants to volunteer.

I will likely place the order for the AC jack sometime this week. Hopefully they'll be able to ship it.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Ooohh...I want to go!!! Would like to grease up the sway bar bushings this time.

Chips and beer aye?

Btw, HACK, spoke to Raffi about changing brake pads. Mine are thinning out. He recommended Poterfield R4S. Any comments? You know my driving habits.

:p

Btw, my place is out of the question. Too *ghetto*.:bigpimp:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
NEWSFLASH!!!!

Wifey said my place is fine. :)

Alright, let's put this agenda together. HACK, what time do you need to wrap it up? Have 'em ship the jack quick, we'll chip in for shipping :D

Vince, if those pads will slow Raffi down, they'll work for you :p

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Re: NEWSFLASH!!!!

Woohoo!:D Way to go, Scott! Also invite your Z3 friend along, would like to take a look at the *retrofit*.

Also a good idea to do the air horn project. Will Kaz be back then? :p

scottn2retro said:
Wifey said my place is fine. :)

Alright, let's put this agenda together. HACK, what time do you need to wrap it up? Have 'em ship the jack quick, we'll chip in for shipping :D

Vince, if those pads will slow Raffi down, they'll work for you :p

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Ooohh...I want to go!!! Would like to grease up the sway bar bushings this time.

Chips and beer aye?

Btw, HACK, spoke to Raffi about changing brake pads. Mine are thinning out. He recommended Poterfield R4S. Any comments? You know my driving habits.

:p

Btw, my place is out of the question. Too *ghetto*.:bigpimp:
Are you still on stock rotors? I would actually recommend OEM pads, either Textars or Jurids since your rotors are the soft OEM rotors. Raffi does not complain about the Porterfield R4ses but I think his rotors are either ATE or cryo-treated. I think the Porterfields would just eat right through your rotors.

I am mixed about the Pagids. They're affordable and work great as a street pad, but they lack that initial byte when cold and could be a bit disturbing when you just need light braking. Look into Ferrodo pads too, I've heard some glowing recommendation from them and they may end up being my next set of pads.

I'm trying to hit up Performance Friction right now, but they wanted to know if my "evaluations" are going to be scientific tests...Which got me a little peeved, since this is just for a club review. But their carbon metallic pads are famous for their stopping power.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Re: Re: NEWSFLASH!!!!

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Woohoo!:D Way to go, Scott! Also invite your Z3 friend along, would like to take a look at the *retrofit*.

Also a good idea to do the air horn project. Will Kaz be back then? :p
I'll send a message re: paddle shift. :)

Most Simple Directions to my place (from most places):

405 freeway to GOLDEN WEST exit and take Golden West South/West toward the ocean.

Stay on Golden West until you reach the Pacific Ocean (a T intersection with Pacific Coast Highway) and turn LEFT.

Turn LEFT at 11th Street (at the Sun'n'Sands Motel) and proceed to the end of the 4th block - 11th and Pecan. It's the tall house on the corner, #428 and the garage is around the back.

Park on the street near the garage until it's your car's turn in the work area.

For people bringing Significant Others, like I was telling HACK, HB has an outdoor arts/crafts market at the pier on on the weekends and there's a quaint shopping/cafe area on Main St. across from the pier - all walking distance to the house. :thumbup:

Edit - for people that want more scenic directions using PCH from the North or South of HB, send me an e-mail or PM and I'll help you out.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I hate to disappoint you guys but I don't have a jack from HF. Was that some sort of cruel trick to try and get me to buy one? :bigpimp:

I really hope I can make it on the 19th. My dad is coming in from out of state and I think we were supposed to have a big family get-together that day. :( I'll find out what's going on... I'm sick of missing these sessions!

Whatever the case, thanks for hosting it Scott.

--Paul

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
SONET said:
I hate to disappoint you guys but I don't have a jack from HF. Was that some sort of cruel trick to try and get me to buy one? :bigpimp:

I really hope I can make it on the 19th. My dad is coming in from out of state and I think we were supposed to have a big family get-together that day. :( I'll find out what's going on... I'm sick of missing these sessions!

Whatever the case, thanks for hosting it Scott.

--Paul
No problem! The oil change demo on your car should not take long and you can leave the jack with us (after you go out and get it) :D :angel: (What cruel trick?)

Actually, I thought Howard was looking at getting one and SoCalTom was looking at getting the equivalent jack.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Is CAI whistle suppression a valid agenda item?

Do you have those part #s I'd need to get?

(Assuming the idea is even applicable to the 330 w/ Conforti CAI)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plaz said:
Is CAI whistle suppression a valid agenda item?

Do you have those part #s I'd need to get?

(Assuming the idea is even applicable to the 330 w/ Conforti CAI)
Sure, if you can get the parts and instructions within the week.

Check with Sean at ECIS...Also someone posted the part numbers earlier on a different post. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. :(

·
Don't worry, drive happy!
31 Posts
Top 10 ? or comments

1) What's a MityVac? shop vac, I assume
2) Is 10 am on the 19th at Scott's confirmed (i.e. Scott, can I email Z3CCA folks?)
3) Hack says not to abuse address info for Scott's house. Okay, I won't invite those "dancers" from The Body Shop on Sunset Strip :bigpimp:
4) I should have the Diversified Cryogenics jack by then... which is just like the Harbor Freight jack... which is a knockoff of the Griot's Garage jack... I think?
5) Chips & beer mentioned? I'll bring our cooler w/ built-in amp & speakers again :p
6) Haven't tried Porterfield pads, but I have tried various others. We are raving fans of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads and have had them on a number of cars for street / canyon carving / autocross. Pads are like oil (RedLine thoughout, baby!), though, everyone worships their own brand. See www.google.com for Performance Friction; we buy 'em from www.frozenrotors.com
7) What Z3 friend? What "retrofit"? Think I missed something...
8) OE horn, bad. Air horns, good (take THAT, Mr./Ms. SUV). See our Hella triple air horns at http://home.earthlink.net/~z3lovers
9) Significant others & craft fairs? :thumbdwn: To each their own, though. I am so thankful the woman I married is not only the love of my life :angel: , but knows the difference bewteen an R-speed rating and an R-compound on a tire... and preffered having our wedding pic in Roundel rather than the newspaper...
10) Whistle suppression on a cold air intake? We have that on our MINI Cooper S with an intake by Monster Mini. Will be interested to hear about this; wonder if our supercharger could somehow exacerbate the whistle problem?

Pardon the long post. Hope to see you guys & gals on the 19th...

;)

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
What? No Dancers? Now HACK and Raffi may not show up. :D

The MityVac is the famous "Vacula" that sucks out the old oil topside without having to drain it from below. :)

I'll be available by 9:00, but my house is confirmed and people can show up anytime after that.

Since it will be at my house, we'll have to see if someone near Tom can pick him and the jack up (maybe Eric5150?).

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Sounds good!:thumbup: I'm in for an oil/filter change to break in one of those MityVacs. I've still got the clutch stop to install and I could be up for the air horns if I can find out what to order, where to order from, and they can ship 'em in time.

As for the Harbor Freight jack... I don't have one. I had offered to pick one up for folks who wanted one but didn't have a Harbor Freight Tool outlet near them. I'm still thinking the whole jack situation over. The HFT jack is very affordable, but those AC jacks have me drooling. Too bad the special price is for pickup only. (Hmmm. who do I know in Jersey that owes me a favor :dunno: )

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Yeah, I'm back in town on the 13th so the following weekend shouldn't be a problem. I'm due for an oilchange so if time allows, I'm in for that.

I'm also gonna try and pick up a MB wheel hanger to see if it might be worthwhile. My wheels are hubcentric (of course) but if its only like ten bucks it can't hurt to try it.

Operknockity and Plaz, I think, both expressed interest in the airhorns so if we don't have time to do an actual install Raffi and I could do an installation overview or something. We both ordered ours from www.rallylights.com (Susquehanna Motorsports) though it and similar (stay away from FIAMM, though) ones are available all over the place. One friend of mine said he saw what looked to be Hella OEM ones at a local independent autoparts store.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
scottn2retro said:
What? No Dancers? Now HACK and Raffi may not show up. :D

The MityVac is the famous "Vacula" that sucks out the old oil topside without having to drain it from below. :)

I'll be available by 9:00, but my house is confirmed and people can show up anytime after that.

Since it will be at my house, we'll have to see if someone near Tom can pick him and the jack up (maybe Eric5150?).
I'm close by. If Eric5150 can't do it I can.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Addendum: Those of you interested in a free oil change, please:

1) Provide your own oil.

2) Provide the RIGHT filter.

3) Bring a container big enough for 8 quarts of oil.

4) Be responsible for disposal of the old oil.

Scott, is there a service station/Jiffy Lube/Pep Boys near by where we can go to dump our used oil?

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
The HACK said:

2) Provide the RIGHT filter.

Scott, is there a service station/Jiffy Lube/Pep Boys near by where we can go to dump our used oil?
I'll let Raffi respond to item 2) :D

There are a whole host of oil change type places on Beach Blvd. I'll scout out for the closest one. :)

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
Since I am currently on assignment out here in San Diego and have nothing planned on the 19th, I was wondering if I could stop by and hang out during one of your tech sessions.

I have nothing to install/service/mod on my car. Yet. <=BIG key word. ;)

But since I have very limited knowledge on the E46 (my two month old car is my first Bimmer) and will have basically nothing to contribute, I think this would be a great opportunity to learn more about my ride.

Please let me know if there will be any problems.

(P.S. I was formerly a UH-1H (Huey) and UH-60A (Blackhawk) helicopter crew chief/flight engineer back in the day, so I'm not totally inept when it comes to turning wrenches) :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.