BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
DirtyDeedsDoneDirtCheap
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Have done a search here and m3post, and have not found an answer.

Has anyone come up with a solution yet for a Space Saver Spare tire that will work with an E92/E93 M3?

Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Subscribed. I actually just posted on m3post for, eh, a friend's certain alpine 'vert... Hey wait I think we may have crossed paths recently. ;)

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,889 Posts
Look at the stickies at the top of the E90 forum. I think there's a pretty good chance the one posted there would work for the M3, too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The OP and I are aware of that solution for the non-M (I carry one myself). I just don't know if
- *any* 17" would fit the M?
- what offset would it be?

I have a slight hope that the e60 spare may fit with spacers, it's just about the right diameter, but we won't know until someone tests it. If it only fits over the rear, that would also be all right, as you could swap front to rear.

·
DirtyDeedsDoneDirtCheap
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found this on another site:

The space saver wheel from the X6 (part number 36-11-6-768-861) mounted with a 125/70-18 space saver tire will fit on both the front and rear of the E9x M3 without a spacer. The only problem is that the center bore of the X6 wheel is a bit larger than the E9x M3's hub so you have to be very careful to center the wheel on the hub when tightening the lugs. I'd like to find an adapter to properly center the wheel on the hub but without an adapter this setp works fine at least at moderate speeds and for relatively short distances.
edit, he also found the rings:

Edit: I found the proper hubcentric plastic rings here (74.1/72.56):
http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.as...FU0wpAodcQqcmw $21/set of 4.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
This thread may be worth a sticky. FWIW, Tire Rack has the 125/70 18 tire; although I could not find it on their web site, it was a simple matter to order over the phone. Cost was about $115 before shipping.

This is NOT the tire that is fitted to the X6, BTW--that's a 145/90 18 tire that would be way too tall for the E90/2/3.

Anyway, once I get the wheel, tire and rings I'll give it a go and post pics.

EDIT: Correct number for the X6 tire is 155/90 18.

·
2009 M3 E93 w/DCT
1,315 Posts
Has anyone come up with a solution yet for a Space Saver Spare tire that will work with an E92/E93 M3?
The M-Mobility kit is pretty good insurance against a flat (well that and AAA coverage which beats BMW Assist). At least I haven't experienced any problems after ~4K miles :thumbup:
A space saver spare tire in an E93 will leave you with literally no trunk storage space when the top is in the trunk :eek:

·
3,939 Posts
This thread may be worth a sticky. FWIW, Tire Rack has the 125/70 18 tire; although I could not find it on their web site, it was a simple matter to order over the phone. Cost was about $115 before shipping.

This is NOT the tire that is fitted to the X6, BTW--that's a 145/90 18 tire that would be way too tall for the E90/2/3.

Anyway, once I get the wheel, tire and rings I'll give it a go and post pics.
Just got the wheel. I don't think this is going to work; the wheel is a monster. It's six inches across; I just don't see how a 125mm tire is going to go on it.

·
3,939 Posts
Just got the wheel. I don't think this is going to work; the wheel is a monster. It's six inches across; I just don't see how a 125mm tire is going to go on it.
I compared the wheel to my existing 125/70 17 spare (from my old 330), and indeed a 125 section tire is laughably narrow compared to the 6" rim on the new wheel.

I just spoke with Tire Rack; I was hoping to find a compact spare in the 155/70 18 range, which would at least be close to the outer diameter of the stock wheel. No dice; the closest thing they've got is either the 155/90 OEM tire for use with the X6 (which is 2.5" bigger than the stock tire) or a 225/45 18 normal tire (at which point I've lost any 'compactness' and also most luggage space).

Any thoughts are welcome.

1. My guess is that a 2.5" difference in diameter is too much even for a temporary spare, but I guess I don't know that for sure.

2. Also, I've been operating on the theory that something like a 135 section tire won't fit on a 6 inch wheel, but I also don't know that for sure.

If neither of those options will work, I'll just send the thing back.

·
3,939 Posts
I compared the wheel to my existing 125/70 17 spare (from my old 330), and indeed a 125 section tire is laughably narrow compared to the 6" rim on the new wheel.

I just spoke with Tire Rack; I was hoping to find a compact spare in the 155/70 18 range, which would at least be close to the outer diameter of the stock wheel. No dice; the closest thing they've got is either the 155/90 OEM tire for use with the X6 (which is 2.5" bigger than the stock tire) or a 225/45 18 normal tire (at which point I've lost any 'compactness' and also most luggage space).

Any thoughts are welcome.

1. My guess is that a 2.5" difference in diameter is too much even for a temporary spare, but I guess I don't know that for sure.

2. Also, I've been operating on the theory that something like a 135 section tire won't fit on a 6 inch wheel, but I also don't know that for sure.

If neither of those options will work, I'll just send the thing back.
After hearing from someone on M3post.com that the 125/70 18 would fit on the X6 wheel, I decided to give it a shot.

Sure enough, it works. It looks weird, but it works. I haven't tried it on the car yet, but at least the 125/70 18 tire mounts on the 5" X6 wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good post and pic, JST. I'm going to recommend my friend order the wheel as well (may go with a slightly different tire though it's good to know this works). Thanks!

·
3,939 Posts
Dismounted the snows this weekend (thus guaranteeing a blizzard sometime this week--sorry, East Coasters!) and took the opportunity to verify the fit of the spare. Works absolutely fine, front and rear. The plastic centering rings also work well, though getting them off the hub again can be a bit of a PITA.

Here are some horrifyingly bad iPhone pics taken in the dark as I changed the tires on my patio (yes, I need a garage). You can also see a murky pic of the space left over in the trunk with the spare on board; I've used the low-tech bungee cord solution to secure it, which works fine, and have the jack and lug wrench wrapped in packing foam underneath the tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 BMW M4 manual Silverstone/CF/Sakhir
465 Posts
Compact spare tire/wheel slution

Here ya' go:

The goal was to come up with a compact spare solution that would clear the stock brakes w/o a spacer and come as close as possible to the stock tire OD. To clear the front brake requires an 18" wheel, or perhaps a heck of a spacer on a 17. The X6 has a 5" wide wheel that seemed to fit the bill. Only thing is its hub is slightly larger (74.1 vs. 72.6 mm), so a centering ring is the right way to go.

Finding a suitable tire was a challenge, because manufacturers don't seen to list info on compact spares, and most tire dealers are unclued. I eventually found a 135/70-18 as used on the Cadillac CTS, and was able to track down the manufacturer (Maxxis) and a local dealer (Les Schwab). I took about two weeks to order in. A slightly better alternative would be a T145/70, as used on the Mitsu Evo and G37 Coupe, but quotes on this tire ran $275-315, too much for a spare, IMO.

I test fit the setup and it clears the front brake caliper by about 1/4", and seems just fine. The OD of the tire is just about 0.3" smaller than the sotck fronts (a little more in the rear, of course), but seems well within tolerance, IMO. Tom had used a 125/70, but I thought that a little small.
Weight complete is 37 lbs. (47 bs. for OEM 19F). The stock lug bolts work fine.

So, here's what you need:

- BMW 36-11-6-768-861 black steel wheel; $155 list
- BMW 36-12-1-116-326 rubber valve stem, $5.35 list
- Centering ring, 74.1-72.6 mm; 1010 tire (mis-labeled 74.1-72.56 http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp?gclid=CPy2-rytg5kCFU0wpAodcQqcmw); $30 shipped for set of 4 (you can sell extras)
- Maxxis T135/70R18 104M M9500N (#TP10655100), $85 + $10 shipping + $12.50 mount & balance
All-in-all, not inexpensive, but a nice bit of security to have in the trunk for trips, and about half the size of a full-size spare.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=262296&stc=1&d=1240674796

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a bit of an update to this topic as it seems to be the most visited when searching for the answer re a spare for the E90/2 M3.

I have found a similar, but better solution to this and the wheel is again from BMW:

It is a 7 series F01 spare wheel, part number 36116796147 and size is a 18x4.5 inch, offset of -1, so it will clear the standard M3 brakes and requires no spigot ring, as it is the same concentric 72.6mm hub size, nor needs a spacer. It is an alloy wheel and also half an inch narrower than the X6 spare wheel so a few pounds lighter.
Tyre is the same Maxxis M9500S T135/70R18 104M or you can also fit a Bridgestone T145/70R18 TRACOMPA TRR3, both hard to find but invaluable in the boot if on a long trip or journey.

(Yes I'm in the UK, forgive the spelling, dirt on the paintwork etc).

Confirming on Willtheyfit.com it is only around 10mm less of a rolling radius against the largest 19" summer rear 265/35R19 tyre I have (see attached below) and within 5mm of all the other standard M3 wheel/tyre combos - 19" summer fronts and both 18" winter fronts and rears.

Should do the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 BMW M4 manual Silverstone/CF/Sakhir
465 Posts
Alloy mini spare

Just a bit of an update to this post as it seems to be the most visited when searching for the answer re a spare for the E90/2 M3.

I have found a similar better solution to this and the wheel is again from BMW it is this:

Wheel is a 7 series F01 spare, part number 36116796147 and size is a 18x4.5 inch, offset of -1, so it will clear the "normal" M3 brakes and requires no spigot ring as it is the same concentric hub size nor spacer. It is an alloy too and half an inch narrower than the X6 wheel so a few pounds lighter.
Tyre is the same Maxxis M9500S T135/70R18 104M or you can also fit a Bridgestone T145/70R18 TRACOMPA TRR3, both hard to find but invaluable in the boot if on a long trip or holiday.
Thanks, man. Weight savings is always good. Looks like it is available in US for ~US$225 or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an e93 which means I have even less trunk space with he to down. I put a tire repair kit, pump, and BMW jack in the trunk so that I can repair a flat if the need arises. It happened once with my wife's x5, she has the small donut in the trunk and since we were about 200 miles from home, I repaired her flat and we drove home without issues. I also carry some disposable gloves

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is what suits the driver best. You could just rely on a recovery service and not carry anything.

But I'm aware in some countries you are not allowed to repair yourself, it may void the car insurance because the repair may not conform to a certain standard. E.g. there are British Standard repairs in the UK, yet you can legally use the foam and inflation kit to get you to a garage who can make a permanent repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would do the same if it were legal here, and most just don't have the knowledge now nor would take the risk with their own skills or lack of them, because it isn't.

IMO we keep lemmings alive and kill practical skills in the UK by our Health and Safety, nanny state.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts