BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 X3 M40i
I wanted the spare tire option even with the run flats because we do long road trips often. I got to use the spare tire this last week. My wife caught a huge pothole that ripped the sidewall of the front right tire. The run-flat did its job driving another 10 miles just fine. Local place has the replacement tire on order. So the spare has been on for a week now. Keeping the speed under 55mph.

It's really just a donut. I didn't realize how small and narrow it was until I got it out and saw it on the car. The car isn't as stable.or.straight with it on the front. We aren't driving it much though, just around town until get thentire replaced. I've seen oils on here of the spare in the boot but not ones of it mounted so.figured id post.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

·
Registered
17,170 Posts
Thanks for posting.

It's not the same rolling diameter as the regular tires. Somewhere deep in some BMW tech' training literature there was a blurb that when the xDrive logic detects a spare tire installed it disengages the front wheel drive. Most punctures happen on the back. If you have a square set-up, it's probably a good idea to put a good tire on the back and the spare on the front. Those mismatched rolling diameters on the rear could play havoc with a limited slip differential.

So far, Frau Putzer's X3's spare has only been installed as a place holder during my DIY tire rotations.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,663 Posts
I don;t believe those spares are designed for any long term use, there mainly for getting you home and or to a garage, not to run around for a few weeks while you get a replacement. can you use them "YES" would I for long term nope, I used a winter tire in a similar case, and even then that was on the day to drive 80km to my tire guy.

Get a full size spare leave it at home, if you have the room put it in the back

of course RFT's are awesome I had a bulge and 2" crack in mind run it for 2 weeks (very carefully)

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,663 Posts
"Your vehicle was designed to work with a specific wheel size. You know, normal sizes like 17 or 18 inches. Your vehicle was not designed to run for an extended period of time on a donut. Doing so can damage other parts, such as the transmission, suspension, and brakes. That’s on top of the fact that donut tires are only meant to take you to the closest tire repair shop, and are nowhere near as durable or safe as a standard tire and wheel.

source: "thedrive.com

Doughnuts were the for runner to RFT's; before it was a thing, prior you had a full size spare; doughnts were put into sports cars were space was at a premium, I had one in the 944

because some brain dead freaks choose to do that doesnt make it right, same thing if someone wishes to drive impaired is it ok for me to ?

C'mon AP, man I've lost faith in the "tire whisperer of the fest" ;)

·
Registered
17,170 Posts
Your link sort of proved my point. The went 250 miles with no problems. There's no specific mileage limit on donuts. There is a speed limit. My plan for limping home on a donut is to put it on the front axle. I carry a hand pump with me on road trips, so the donut would be properly inflated if I used it.

I'm not trusting my car, wheel, and tire to the first jackass tire ape I come to after getting a flat tire. I'll limp home and take the flat tire to a competent shop, e.g. BMWoB. (BMWoB did my tire work for my Chevy Cobalt SS, because I don't trust anybody in Bubba County.)

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,663 Posts
Your link sort of proved my point. The went 250 miles with no problems. There's no specific mileage limit on donuts. There is a speed limit. My plan for limping home on a donut is to put it on the front axle. I carry a hand pump with me on road trips, so the donut would be properly inflated if I used it.

I'm not trusting my car, wheel, and tire to the first jackass tire ape I come to after getting a flat tire. I'll limp home and take the flat tire to a competent shop, e.g. BMWoB. (BMWoB did my tire work for my Chevy Cobalt SS, because I don't trust anybody in Bubba County.)
^^^ agreed that but not permanent driving, 250 miles is permanent driving, get home, change the tire/wheel put on a temp winter tire full size.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,663 Posts
I think that's the exception rather than the rule, I think if you can't find a BMW dealer or reputable tire shop in 250 miles, there's a serious problem.

It's not a full size spare, end of, it's a get you home or get you to a garage fix.

Anyway, I don't wanna keep beating this argument to death, so I'll bow out

·
Registered
17,170 Posts
I think that's the exception rather than the rule, I think if you can't find a BMW dealer or reputable tire shop in 250 miles, there's a serious problem.

It's not a full size spare, end of, it's a get you home or get you to a garage fix.

Anyway, I don't wanna keep beating this argument to death, so I'll bow out
Welcome to Floriduh!

"Reputable" means they have a $50k lever-less tire machine that doesn't scratch up my wheels. The new Discount Tires store in Bubbaville has four tire machines, all the $10k POS lever machines that scratch wheels. "We won't scratch your wheels. We'll be real careful. ... promise." "Shazam! How'd that wheel get scratched?"

No thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to Floriduh!

"Reputable" means they have a $50k lever-less tire machine that doesn't scratch up my wheels. The new Discount Tires store in Bubbaville has four tire machines, all the $10k POS lever machines that scratch wheels. "We won't scratch your wheels. We'll be real careful. ... promise." "Shazam! How'd that wheel get scratched?"

No thanks!
How many places have a leverless tire mounting machine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts