BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,868 Posts
I don;t believe those spares are designed for any long term use, there mainly for getting you home and or to a garage, not to run around for a few weeks while you get a replacement. can you use them "YES" would I for long term nope, I used a winter tire in a similar case, and even then that was on the day to drive 80km to my tire guy.

Get a full size spare leave it at home, if you have the room put it in the back

of course RFT's are awesome I had a bulge and 2" crack in mind run it for 2 weeks (very carefully)

· where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,868 Posts
"Your vehicle was designed to work with a specific wheel size. You know, normal sizes like 17 or 18 inches. Your vehicle was not designed to run for an extended period of time on a donut. Doing so can damage other parts, such as the transmission, suspension, and brakes. That’s on top of the fact that donut tires are only meant to take you to the closest tire repair shop, and are nowhere near as durable or safe as a standard tire and wheel.

source: "thedrive.com

Doughnuts were the for runner to RFT's; before it was a thing, prior you had a full size spare; doughnts were put into sports cars were space was at a premium, I had one in the 944

because some brain dead freaks choose to do that doesnt make it right, same thing if someone wishes to drive impaired is it ok for me to ?

C'mon AP, man I've lost faith in the "tire whisperer of the fest" ;)

· where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,868 Posts
Your link sort of proved my point. The went 250 miles with no problems. There's no specific mileage limit on donuts. There is a speed limit. My plan for limping home on a donut is to put it on the front axle. I carry a hand pump with me on road trips, so the donut would be properly inflated if I used it.

I'm not trusting my car, wheel, and tire to the first jackass tire ape I come to after getting a flat tire. I'll limp home and take the flat tire to a competent shop, e.g. BMWoB. (BMWoB did my tire work for my Chevy Cobalt SS, because I don't trust anybody in Bubba County.)
^^^ agreed that but not permanent driving, 250 miles is permanent driving, get home, change the tire/wheel put on a temp winter tire full size.

· where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,868 Posts
I think that's the exception rather than the rule, I think if you can't find a BMW dealer or reputable tire shop in 250 miles, there's a serious problem.

It's not a full size spare, end of, it's a get you home or get you to a garage fix.

Anyway, I don't wanna keep beating this argument to death, so I'll bow out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts