BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 98 BMW 528i and I just purchased it a couple days ago , the guy I bought it from said it needed a starter and a battery so I replaced both , I go to start the car and it just keeps turning over won't ignite it seems like . I removed cylinder ones coil pack and plug and noticed fuel on the plug making me think no spark , but I can't figure out why , even if one cylinder is dead it should still run with a misfire , is there a way to test those coils? I'm stumped and have dumped alot of cash into it any one have any ideas ?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,528 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I moved your question to the correct forum where you can get help.

·
Under the lift arms
13,017 Posts
If its dumping fuel, and not firing that means it probably doesn't know where it is / out of time / no single

inspect the cam and crank position circuit, engine fault codes /reset clear codes

you better get use to dumping a lot of money in to this car if you want to keep it... It can regularly ask for 1000's @ a time until you get it "over the hill"

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
You need a scan tool. How did you get it home if it won't start?

If the crank sensor fails, spark and fuel are inhibited. The engine will spin, but not catch. You report fuel on the plugs, which indicates that the injectors are working. Burning2nd's suggestion for the cam position sensor is a good one.

He also suggests you set aside some bucks for repairs.

·
ALGhoul
1,254 Posts
Yep
Right you have to scan
And check for codes
And check your battery first may be its weak
And is there sound when turning key or no sound ?
It could be key misaligned with ews
Good luck

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Crank sensor replaced and still nothing
B2 was saying cam sensor, not crank sensor, and if your going to throw parts at it, be prepared to throw a lot of parts at it and be very frustrated.

The other way to handle this is get a scanner, a Creator 310 is bout $65 and will put you on the right track. Though we have seen similar problems only to find out the fuel pump was bad and was putting out enough to wet the plugs but not enough to start the car.

As ed has said, get a scanner and diagnose what the problem is. The scanner will help you a lot in the years to come if your going to keep this car.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the help guys and I'm sorry to be bothering you again but when I went to read the codes I turned the key forward and an error popped up on the obd2 scanner , so I checked the fuses and they were all okay I looked at the fuel pump fuses which were spots 31 and 17 and for fuse 17 it had a 7.5 amp in its spot and not the 10 like it should be so I replaced that , and if the ews was bad should the car still be able to turn over ? It will crank all day just no start up

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I appreciate all the help guys and I'm sorry to be bothering you again but when I went to read the codes I turned the key forward and an error popped up on the obd2 scanner , so I checked the fuses and they were all okay I looked at the fuel pump fuses which were spots 31 and 17 and for fuse 17 it had a 7.5 amp in its spot and not the 10 like it should be so I replaced that , and if the ews was bad should the car still be able to turn over ? It will crank all day just no start up
Are you getting any codes?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
'98 has 2 ports I believe, are you using the port under the dash, or the port in the engine bay?

Early models had the port in the engine bay. Then they went a little bit making cars with 2 ports, and then finally went to the one port under the drivers side dash.

Jim

·
Under the lift arms
13,017 Posts
YAAAAAHHHHH

i have a car that has 2 ports... the pacman and the obd2

·
Wingnut
3,842 Posts
ews problem will inhibit the car from even cranking over.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I haven't encountered error on the obd2. Suggest you handle it as any other problem, verify the obd2 is working, then if so, we're going to have to figure out why the port isn't.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cam sensor in vehicle still won't start checking fuel pressure but the engine light is flashing fast is that have any relavence ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts