electrode, and a redesigned insulator. The new spark plug technology allows
for increased service life, improved cold start performance/combustion
characteristics, and a consistent operation throughout the entire service
life. The service life of the new High Performance Iridium Spark Plug is
100,000 miles."

http://www.ngk.de/NGK_CREATES_NEW_IRIDIUM_SPARK.2710.0.html

· Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, that's the one I put in mine when I did my valves, the NGK iridium.

· Registered
269 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
Which part number did you purchase?
I'll post it when I get home.

· Registered
269 Posts
NGK Iridium IX, here's the part #: DCPR7EIX

I got them from sparkplugs.com

Attachments

· Registered
269 Posts
NGK's own web site lists the 7 for the S54. That 8 seems cold to me considering that 6 is probably the middle of the heat range. I don't know, I'd have to try them, the 7's sure work good, though.

· 19,585 Miles
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QikSilver said:
NGK's own web site lists the 7 for the S54. That 8 seems cold to me considering that 6 is probably the middle of the heat range. I don't know, I'd have to try them, the 7's sure work good, though.
I don't know either, but will try to find out.
BMW recommends the same plug (DCPR8EKP) for all S54's.
I would think that since the stock one is an 8 the iridium one would be too.
If you search on the NGK site for a 2001 M-Z3 and 2001>2003 E46-M3 it comes up with
DCPR7EIX. If you search for a 2004 E46-M3 it comes up with DCPR8EIX.
Note the difference in gaps in the following pic. Not sure how you measure the gap on these new style plugs. When checking a new stock plug, I come up with .038".

· Registered
269 Posts
I'm almost more concerned about about the gap change, then one number on the heat range. I may get a set of 8's to see what they look like.

If you come up with anything, let me know.

· 19,585 Miles
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QikSilver said:
Will do.
Just sent an email to NGK tech support and will call their tech support
(877-473-6767, promt #2) tomorrow.
As you know, I will be doing my valve check/adjust soon and want to try the iridiums.

· Learning to drive...
635 Posts
I checked my manual which says: NGK DCPR8EKP

So NGK site is not correct. Anyway I am really interested in this since I was looking in changing plugs soon too.

Thanks,
Florian

· Registered
362 Posts
Did this swap and I've loved it

Great for S52's as well. ;)

· Registered
320 Posts
fpa1974 said:
I checked my manual which says: NGK DCPR8EKP

So NGK site is not correct. Anyway I am really interested in this since I was looking in changing plugs soon too.

Thanks,
Florian
I used NGK's website for reference when I ordered plugs and they were not the right ones.

Personally, I prefer standard plugs over platinum/iridium plugs. The only reason I have iridium plugs in the car is that they were free and I love that price. :angel:

· 19,585 Miles
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QikSilver said:
NGK NA tech support only knows what was sent to them.
If you go to NGK's Germany site it doesn't even show the S54 for our cars. It shows the S50 engine which uses the PKR7A.
Just ordered six DCPR8EIX and one DCPR7EIX for comparison from sparkplugs.com. $6.95 each plus $16.15 2nd day air shipping. I should have them Friday.
Will post some pics when they show up.

· Registered
979 Posts
Hot Plugs

I BOUGHT A SET LAST SUMMER,And they were eights,Vins been running this set up with plasma coils and swears buy it,He just flew through emissions and ran home to installed his plasma coils.right after.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have been running Denso Iridium plugs and Plasma solutions ignition coils for the past Year. Been very impressed with this combo and application with forced induction . Coils supposed to amplify secondary spark output and help for more complete combustion. There was a problem with early version of the coils giving fault codes for ignition misfire . This was apparently related to the ECU seeing higher voltage than what it is used to. There was no check engine light but codes were stored in the memory , therefore not emission compliant by todays Connecticut standards.I called the company and they have subsequently upgraded the coils to correct this problem.They shipped me new coils after I shipped back old ones .I put back stock coils to pass emissions and have put in new coils-so far no fault codes. Confident new coils are now emission compliant. End result--more torque/quicker accelleration/pulls harder to redline. Would Encourage others to consider tis option. Coils are pricy/ iridium plugs not cheep either. But everything comes at a price/ nothing is for free!! I vote thumbs up for iridium plugs /consider coils as well especially if running higher Boost :thumbup:

· 19,585 Miles
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ron Stygar said:
NGK NA tech support only knows what was sent to them.
If you go to NGK's Germany site it doesn't even show the S54 for our cars. It shows the S50 engine which uses the PKR7A.
Just ordered six DCPR8EIX and one DCPR7EIX for comparison from sparkplugs.com. $6.95 each plus $16.15 2nd day air shipping. I should have them Friday.
Just checked the EPC for the S50 stock plug and it is the NGK PKR7A.

· 19,585 Miles
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ron Stygar said:
The 7EIX and 8EIX have the same .028" gap.

I have a new set of stock plugs for sale if anyone is interested.
12 12 0 022 902 $25.25 suggested retail each.
6 each ($83.00) plus $4.30 priority mail shipping with tracking USA.

· Registered
269 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
The 7EIX and 8EIX have the same .028" gap.
I feel better now, knowing the gap is the same on the 7 and 8. The electrodes and ceramic look the same, too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.