Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. Thinking to change spark plug on my 2012 x5 with the N55. Got the spark plugs from BMW. My question is do I need to apply Anti-seize or Boot Protector onto the new spark plug? got differnet answers from different people. Also, do i need to torque the spark plugs or can i hand tight them? if I do is it still 23+-3 NM? Thanks for helping

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,801 Posts
BMW thanks you. You are the first OE BMW plug sale over the parts counter in 4 months.

;)

(Next time just by the standard NGK OEM plug- it is IDENTICAL.)

I put antisieze on plugs. Just me. Some disagree. I put on VERY VERY little, I am meticulous about keeping it away from the electrode end, and wipe it HARD so there is barely a layer deep in the threads. Just me, I think this goes against many official instructions. However, im a long term owner of my cars, so **I** will be the one to deal with siezed threads at 245k miles!

You need a torque wrench. You could have bought one with the $$ you saved buying ngks....

;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hey yall. Thinking to change spark plug on my 2012 x5 with the N55. Got the spark plugs from BMW. My question is do I need to apply Anti-seize or Boot Protector onto the new spark plug? got differnet answers from different people. Also, do i need to torque the spark plugs or can i hand tight them? if I do is it still 23+-3 NM? Thanks for helping
BMW says here: Torque spec is on link: M12x1.25 23 ± 3 Nm

"Do not grease/oil thread or use any graphite or copper grease. Adhere to the torque values of the packaging information or regulation.

Note: If these instructions are not followed, especially with regard to greasing, this may result in mechanical damage to the spark plug housing/thread. Spark plugs that are not tightened sufficiently lead to leaks and to the spark plugs coming loose during engine operation."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts