BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help I did a compression test yesterday and didn't have time to put new plus in well I just got home from work and I go to put the new plus in and the 3rd plug won't go in it looks like the threads in the hole were raised I'll add a pic so you can better understand any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Somebody stop me....
3,696 Posts
How were the threads on the plug you took out?

·
Somebody stop me....
3,696 Posts
That's odd. If you put the old one back in does it fit like it did when you took it out?

Doesn't make sense that just one of the holes would be different. Unless the threads were stripped at one time and it was tapped.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There all the same height it's like the threads in the spark plug hole was raised is that possible?

·
Somebody stop me....
3,696 Posts
It wouldn't make any sense for it to be like that. The only thing I could suggest is to just screw it in there and put the wires back on. If it starts and isn't missing then that's just how it is I guess.

·
Somebody stop me....
3,696 Posts
The new plug is the same size as the old one? How did the wire manage to fit on the old one?

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
can't really tell by the pic, sorry. i take it the threads do not look like the other holes, and that the plugs still thread in. the only things i can think of would be something like a poor heli-coil fix, where the threads were not fully seated and are slightly above the hole.

if that is the case, then there is very little to do at this point without serious aggrivation. it would be easier to pull the head, seriously, if you were to want it 'fixed'. the heli-coils are very strong and designed to not come out.

how much taller does this plug wind up sitting?? 1/8"?? more?? less?? :dunno:

df

·
Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!
875 Posts
That looks like the bottom half of the old spark plug, or something left behind after you did your compression test. I would carefully try getting that out with a easy out (it's a tool that takes out broken bolts after you drill a hole in it), you really must be careful, they break easily and when that happens you have to remove the head to get it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys I got it out it was an extension for the compression test now I just need to fix the over heating problem

·
some kid
10,495 Posts
Glad you figured it out.

Figure out that cooling system problem quick though. One bad overheat can damage the headgasket.

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
Thanks guys I got it out it was an extension for the compression test now I just need to fix the over heating problem
y'know, i almost asked that question, but i figured, nah...he'd know if it was a part of the compression tool...:rofl:

not that that's much better than leaving a shpo rag in an intake runner (lower plenum) when replacing a faulty injector. i uh,...read about that one time...yeah, that's it...:eek:

:p
df

1 - 17 of 17 Posts